chapter one

chapter one

A Chapter by brandenM1993

His thick hand slid down my jawbone, the other pulling me closer by my neck. Our lips locked - each kiss igniting shivers down my spine. Pleasure erupted in me as he chuckled and came nearer. Strong, rugged, and handsome the man that sat beside me was one who I proudly called my fiancé. Geoff had me with the first stone piercing gaze after meeting at Le Hotel Richard Ski Resort three winters back. His beautiful blue eyes blasted with confidence as he refused to look away. From that point onwards we fell blissfully in love.
            I pushed him back chuckling, ‘Okay, babe I have to go.’ Wrenching me back into his arms, and smothering me with kisses my ribs dug into the console of the car.
            ‘No…you don’t have to go.’ He kissed me again, pouting as he spoke. Come with me to New York instead. Screw your work. I’ll take care of you and you’ll never have to work again’ he said, pulling my head into his muscular chest.
            ‘We’ll live like kings, drink wine every night, and sleep past noon every morning.’ His tone compelling as his forearm held me tightly. His eyes sparkled with this fantasy as he starred out the window.
            I removed my head, sitting back straightly in my seat and giving him one more kiss. ‘I love you, ‘I said. ‘but I got to go babe! I’ll see you after this weekend. Let me know how New York goes!’ The car door shut and Geoff drove off speedily, honking twice in farewell.

            Turning my attention to the left a military-like building appeared before me, smoke cascading across the largely printed ‘H’ on the brick wall as patients swarmed the entrances. My shoes made intolerable crunching sounds as they pounded the snow. Checking my watch and realising there was only a mere four minutes before my ultrasound I quickened my pace, entering the hospital.
            Sickness, disease, and ailments alike spanned the hospital hallways with the unpleasant odour of death and misfortune. Elderly women hobbled along, pushing their walkers as doctors darted around them like a swarm of ants. With each minute passing that I waited behind the slowly walking ladies my impatience grew. Arriving at the elevators my eyes squinted at the plaque that hung from the wall, informing me which floor correlated with which department. Ultrasound clinic à Basement floor �" Corridor B.
            The doors opened reflecting my impatient expression in the mirrors that filled each side of the cubicle-like elevator. My sunken cheeks and unshaved jawline making me realise that I lost weight, and needed a good shave. Ding. My stomach shifted as we descended downwards coming to a halt as the metallic doors reopened. There, not far through the maze of hallways was a sign displaying the large print Ultrasound Clinic above the doorway. Quickly approaching the room I walked right up to the clerk’s desk.
            ‘Hi… um… I’m Mark Schimpton. I have a cardiac ultrasound at four thirty.’ I said, my fingers taping the platform of the window to her desk. The nurse sat at the desk seeming to ignore me, her bug eyes reflecting the blue haze of her computer screen as she violently scrolled the mouse.
            ‘Ah…Mr. Ska-himpton.’ She said. ‘Doctor. Ricton will be with you shortly. Do you have your Health card with you?’ She looked at me, her eyes peering above her half-moon spectacles. Quickly placing my health card on the table she continued, ‘Address is still the same I assume, Forty seven bramble crescent?’
            ‘Yes.’ I replied.
Ah-ha’ she continued as her wrinkled fingers pounded the keyboard, her voice enthusiastically peachy. ‘…and your phone number, still 828-585-1956?’
 I nodded.
Now Mark, any shortness of breath today… fatigue… or drowsiness?’ She said.
Slumping in my stance and leaning on the edge of the window I replied ‘Not that I can think of… I’ve been a little tired but noting out of the norm.’
           
She bobbed her head up and down, pursing her weathered lips. ‘Mh-hmm… I see. I see.’ She said as her eyes scanned the screen, ‘…ah, okay. Well this is interesting isn’t it? Let me just… ah scroll to the bottom here, and one second. Okay, got it.’  The elderly women gazed at me making uncomfortable eye contact while her silvery earrings danced from her ears. ‘Emergency contact is still the same…? Geoffrey Grey…. Is it?’ She dropped her head slightly, showing only the lower portion of her pupils as her words slithered through the room.
            My eyebrows ruffled and legs shifted. ‘Yes… that is correct.’ I said as an uncomfortable silence entrenched us as we looked at each other, the ticking on the clock striking my eardrums, louder and louder. Happily she swivelled back in the chair to the computer and spoke again.
            ‘Fan-tastic!’ She said, smiling brightly. ‘Well Mr. Ska-himpton you can just take a seat right over there by that lovely flower bouquet and the doctor should be out soon to get you.’ Her smile turned into a wrinkly scrunch of enthusiasm as she chuckled, clasping her hands tightly and pointing to the waiting area.
            The room was trite, wallpapered with bland photographs of fetuses and decorated with plastic bouquets of Victorian flowers. The models of clogged arteries and motivational posters mixed into an eerie theme of unease. Waiting I scrolled through my phone, opening the new text message from Geoff. Love you babe. I’m sure your heart will be fine… already missing you! See you in a few days. I smiled idiotically, delighted that I found such a great guy.
            ‘Mister Schimpton?’ asked a bulbous man with grey hair, bald head, and a thick salt and pepper moustache.
            ‘Yes?’ I said, closed my phone and stood up walking to the short doctor.
            ‘Ah, Mr. Schimpton,’ he said, welcoming me with an open arm that touched my shoulder, ‘Come right zees way. We vill take good care of you. That’s right. The ultrasound room is right ova here.’ His accent sounded German although hard to know for sure. He led me through the dark room until we reached the bed that lay beside the scanning machine.
            ‘Lie down. No need to worry. Zees test is simple and easy, but of course you must remove your shirt.’ He said.
            Doing as he instructed I undid the buttons of my plaid shirt, the crisp air irritating my skin, and lied back on the bed. Powering up the machine he grabbed the bottle of lubricant and applied it to my chest, moving the scanner along my ribcage. Occasionally he would murmur, scratching his chin until finally he appeared satisfied.
            ‘Vell Mr. Schimpton all appears to be vorking perfectly with your ticker. In my country we vould say you are as healthy as an ox!’ He burst into laughter, my face struggling to seem like I found it as funny as he did.
            ‘You are free to go, and you can put you zshirt back on, but do me a favour. Wait for the nurse for some follow up okay?



© 2013 brandenM1993


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

406 Views
Added on November 28, 2013
Last Updated on November 28, 2013


Author

brandenM1993
brandenM1993

Guelph, Canada



Writing