Chapter 8 The Dark approaches

Chapter 8 The Dark approaches

A Chapter by BrandonTheEnigma
"

after such a long stretch of inactivity I am back

"
Every day Eol sent out patrols but no sign was found of the attackers. Weeks went by without a sign. It nearly drove Eol mad. He was in military council daily and spoke to none but his generals. Finally after a month of searching they found one of the outposts farthest from the capital city routed and it's garrison slaughtered by the same crossbow bolts as before. This enraged Eol. He sent word to all of his empire that the guard would be doubled and heavily armed patrols would be sent out several times a day. Still that was the only sign they found. "Why won't these cowards play their hand and make a move?!" Eol demanded of his counsel. Among some mumbles Eol's senior general spoke up. "Perhaps they are not at full strength to challenge us so they weaken us as they can." That sparked a few debates but their was truth to his words, or at least logic. "I have decided. Fetch the recovered bolts and prepare several units from the Regis Legiones. We depart in an hour from the old south gate." Eol announced before he hurried off to his chambers and hastily put on his armor. "Thileas!" Eol bellowed as he headed for the gate. A few moments later the great dragon landed in the courtyard. "Problem my friend?" The dragon chuckled to himself. "I and several units are going to seek the council of Lord Bruiven. It would make things much swifter if you carried us." Eol answered as he already called for the great beast's armor and carrying harnesses to be brought forth. In a matter of minutes the red dragon stood proudly in his gleaming armor as Legionaires scrambled into place. Minutes later they were airborne. "These mystery attackers trouble me greatly." Eol confessed. The dragon was silent for a short time before his rumbling voice replied "if any living creature knows of them it will be Lord Bruiven." That brought no comfort to the warrior king. They flew for two days straight at a rapid pace until they landed on the outskirt's of the the elven city and Eol half a dozen of his Legionaires hurried towards the palace of the mighty elf lord. The soldiers stayed outside on guard as Eol ascended the stairs into the palace. Lord Bruiven sat on his throne enjoying some fruit when Eol burst through the door with the bolt in hand. "Lord Bruiven I apologize for my suddenness and rude behavior but I must know whatever you can tell me of the owners of these." He blurted as he handed the bolt to the elf lord. His kind face went slack and his skin turned pale. "How come you by this?" Queried the wise elf. Eol hung his head. "In the throat of one of my soldiers. There have been several attacks by these beasts and I must put an end to it. " The wise elf stayed silent for a long time. "This is a foe unknown to all save the elves." he said finally. Eol's grip tightened on his sword. "Where can they be found?!" He demanded. The elf lord half smirked. "It's not where per say, but when." Eol stomped his foot in fury. "WHO ARE THEY?!" He demanded. The elf lord got the most animalistic look Eol had ever seen. "THE DARK ELVES!" He regained his composure before continuing. "They once dwelled on the surface but after a dispute between elf lords a group of elves retreated to the dark underground of the world and only emerge at night. Their skin and eyes have become far too sensitive to daylight for them to attack at day." Eol rubbed his hands together. "And where can I find the beasts?" He questioned. The wise elf gave a half smile. "I can only counsel you not to seek them out. They are far more dangerous than any foe you have encountered." The warrior king tore at his face in frustration. "Where?" He demanded in a steely voice. The elf shook his head in dismay. "You won't give up will you?" He began. When he saw no response from the horse lord he continued. "Legends say they are somewhere in the Forest of Damnatorum" The human king turned and headed for the door. "You fool do you not understand?!" Demanded the elven lord. Eol turned. "In their domain they are unstoppable. Can't you understand?" the elf continued. Eol wrung his hands. "They attack my cities, murder my soldiers and dissapear into the darkness. Would you have me stand idle?" The elf remained silent for a time. "I cannot commit my kinsmen. If the dark elves were to find my lands unguarded we would return to ruins." He said finally. Eol stormed for the door. "I shall fight this foe alone" He spat as he exited. He hastened to the dragons side. "The elves have abandoned us. We return to Applewyn with all haste. We have to gather our full strength. I now know where the filth hide." The Legionaires remounted and were airborne in moments and headed for Applewyn. They made the trip in a day and a half as Thileas landed in the courtyard exhausted. Eol was already headed to the citadel. "I want all my generals gathered now!" he barked. He went straight into council. "We need conscripts from every corner of the empire and we need to begin training them immedietly. Send word to the dwarves. Tell them of the enemy we face and send word to whatever allies we have. I want our full strength ready to depart two months hence." His orders given he went down to the stables to send riders along personally.


© 2015 BrandonTheEnigma


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on March 20, 2015
Last Updated on June 8, 2015


Author

BrandonTheEnigma
BrandonTheEnigma

Does it matter?, ME



About
My writing style is dark and depressive if you don't like it then dont read I write likeJ. R. R. TolkienI Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing! more..

Writing