A Little Star

A Little Star

A Story by Breana Seabrooks
"

We are all little stars until we change that.

"
It was set up to be another lazy night, at home alone. I sat in my window, looking up at the stars dancing in the moonlight. Sometimes, I wondered what they were up there doing, but not tonight. Because tonight I already knew. They were up there dancing and celebrating. They were celebrating because one little star, who wasn't so little anymore, had all of her dreams come true.

At 765 years old, she was the youngest star in the world, to move on to create life in a whole new galaxy. When she had been younger, she would always count her thousands of brothers and sisters, and try to guess what everyone would be at their peek, and who will be the most successful. She always thought it to be her sister Samantha.

For some odd reason, she admired Samantha. Samantha was the brightest star in the galaxy. She made their parents proud to be called stars. And unfortunately, unlike Samantha, their parents never paid much attention to the little Pica. Even her name was picked by someone else, her eldest brother Jene.

Whenever Pica had tried to tell her parents and siblings of her dreams, they spat in her face. They told her she would never be as good as Samantha. All of them would. All except Samantha and Jene. They were the only two stars in the galaxy who loved Pica for who she was. They never shunned her dreams and instead pushed her to what she felt on her nucleus was right. And as great as that sounded, there were years when she felt she didn't deserve their affection. Times when she hated them because they wouldn't give up, but she knew that they meant well. Still that never made her feel like less of a burden.

But now, Pica was the center of attention. Everyone lined up around the multiverse to see one little star, who was once only a spec of light, transform into a big star. For the first time ever stars lit up the entire nighttime sky all around the world.

And I stay up all night, celebrating with them. Pica was my first friend since I have moved here. She was a best friend to me, because thanks to my life, I had very few friends and people who believed in me. I soon got tired, but I stayed up that night, waiting for her to come visit me. I knew that this would be our last time. She would not be able to visit anymore. It was time for Pica to move on and live her life, and that was something I understood.

© 2015 Breana Seabrooks


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting. I like the character of Pica and the existential nature of the story.

If there is an improvement that I could suggest, it is that it would be nice to know something about who is talking. Stories are about relationships (Frodo and Sam, Anna and Elsa, Daenarys and Drogo, Simba and Mustafa, Anakin and Padme, etc).

Still, you should be pleased with this. It grabs the reader's attention.

Posted 9 Years Ago


It's a cute little story to a problem that is here in real life. Very interesting as well.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 6, 2015
Last Updated on May 6, 2015
Tags: little star

Author

Breana Seabrooks
Breana Seabrooks

Detroit, MI



About
My name is Breana. I love to write, I've been doing it since I was a little girl. I try my best to write something everyday, but of course, sometimes don't get around to it. I guess my real reason of .. more..

Writing
Wild Animals Wild Animals

A Screenplay by Breana Seabrooks