On A Sunday Night

On A Sunday Night

A Chapter by BreethesFire

Inside my room, everything was quiet except for the hum of Kurt Cobain's voice mixed with my own slurs from lyrics I'd never figure out. I was avoiding getting ready simply because Sunday nights were the most gruesome part of the week. Or I should say early Monday mornings. I didn't like to fight against Lurkers when I wanted to be asleep at three in the morning. 
There was a familiar knock at my door and I groaned as Luke walked in. "Chass! You're not even ready yet? We're leaving in an hour... hey, great music choice by the way. Anyway, you should really get dressed," he said as he came and sat down at the foot of my bed. 
I rolled over so I wouldn't have to see his face. "Luke... its ten-thirty, I should be asleep like a normal teenager, like a normal person. Besides, listen to yourself, and hour is more than enough time to get dressed," I said with my face buried in my pillow. To Luke, I must've sounded like a grownup straight from a Peanut's movie. 
"We go over this every time, Chass. Please, just get ready," he pleaded. I rolled over to look at Luke. In the dim light of my lamps, he looked gorgeous as always. The lighting really accentuated the strong bone structure of his face and the deep brown of his messy hair. His eyes shined like stars, allowing their light to shine on me. 
"Alright, alright, but you owe me ice cream when we wake up tomorrow night," I said as I sat up and dragged myself from the comfort of my bed. I went to my wardrobe and grabbed out a pair of jeans and a black v-neck. 
"Okay now you're just being dramatic," he replied as I padded across my carpet to the bathroom.
"Not even! That's the time you wake up at," I said as I closed my bathroom door but left a crack so he could hear me just fine. 
"Well yeah, us adults have to send you kitties home to get some rest before we even leave our posts," he laughed. 
"Shut up! Just because I sixteen doesn't mean I'm a 'kittie'. Stop being so... so... adult like. It pisses me off," I muttered as I pulled of my sweat pants. 
"I'm an adult now," Luke said and sighed. 
"Doesn't mean you have to act like one," I replied as I pulled on my skinny jeans. 
"Not all of us are bad," he said. 
"No, not you, but you're getting there," I replied as I pulled off my shirt. 
"Why do you hate the adult hunters so bad," he asked as I pulled the v-neck on. I gathered my clothes and walked outside. 
"I don't hate them, hate's a strong word, I just strongly dislike them," I answered as I tossed my clothes onto my bed and sat down next to him. 
"But why?"
I bent alittle to fold up my pant legs a bit. "Well.. when you first brought me here, they thought I was orphanized, rambunctious filth. Is that not reason enough," I asked.
"Not really... don't be so quick to judge," he said. 
"And how come you don't tell them that? They're judging me not vice versa," I said as I sat back up and stood to grab my combat boots. 
"They don't know your story," he said. 
I sat back down and pulled on my boots. I tied them up, staying quiet because to make this point I'd have to look Luke in his hazel eyes to prove that my point was well thought out. I sat up and did just that. "I don't know you're story and don't judge you," I said. 
"Which is true, but still all people are different," he said as he looked away. 
"What about Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King Jr. who fought for our equality? We should all be treated the same," I said, still looking at him, trying to catch his eye. 
"But you're not of a different race, you don't have millions of people against you, ready to kill you," he said, avoiding me eyes completely. 
"There's 26 of them, and one of me, that's seems like a high enough number," I muttered and finally looked away. 
"So I count as one of them," Luke asked. I suddenly found my mistake in my math; I'd forgotten to subtract Luke from the twenty-six in the adult group. I stuttered to correct myself, but Luke stood and said, "Well, I guess I'll just leave you alone," and was out my door before I could form the right words. 
I sat there alone for a few minutes, then got up as some Pearl Jam began to play. I closed my door and turned up my music to the limit. Why Luke cared so much confused me, or maybe I didn't care enough. I sighed and threw myself back onto my bed. I want to go back to sleep, however I knew there were things that needed to be done within the next six to seven hours. 
I groaned loudly and punched my pillows. Stupid Lurkers, I thought as I threw the last punch, imagining the smile of the Lurker that burned down my old school. 
I stood up and dragged myself to my bedroom door. I had to go outside and get the weapons. I'd been doing this every Sunday evening for almost two years and I still hated it. 
I opened the door and walked down a long hall to the weapons room. No one was there, being that it was forty-five minutes until we left for our weekly Sunday-Monday Watch, they were all in the Boxed Room, eating and discussing plans. I never attended these meetings, not only because my intentions were to avoid the adult Hunters, but also because the majority of my battles are surprise attacks, not planned, so my fighting moves should be surprising too. 
Most of the weapons were cleared out, which consisted of guns and nun-chucks, however the knives were mostly full but it was ok because I specialized with knife fighting; it was something I'd learned  to master in my experiences living in multiple run-down neighborhoods in a house of street smart kids.  
I collected four knives and proceeded to put them into the rims of my boots, which were already cut-up from the knives that had been put there before. This was the most useful area because it took one swift movement to retrieve them. I then closed up the weapons room and walked back to my room. As I approached my bedroom door, I saw Marcus outside the door, leaned against the wall. 
Marcus differed completely from Luke. He was taller by a few inches, and much more lean, although his face still looked younger. His eyes were unseen due to the angle of his face, but they were ice-blue, a contrast to his pale skin and jet black hair.  
As I approached he graced me with the color of his eyes and his wide smile. "Hey, Chass, are you ready to go on an adventure," he asked as I opened up my door. I looked at him and couldn't help but laugh. The child within him rose out when he spoke of adventures. 
"Sunday-Monday Watch isn't an adventure, Marcus, its a duty to those idiots that arent Hunters, the humans who are so pathetic, and weak, and-" 
"Now, now, Chass, I meant an actual adventure," Marcus said and laughed. I opened the door to my room. 
"Oh," I muttered and laughed as he followed me inside. "What's the plan partner," I asked.
"You, me, we go hunting  in a club," he said when he sat down on my bed. 
For a while, I thought Marcus was being an idiot and wanted to go out drinking on a worknight, but his eyes showed no spark of insanity, so I had no other choice but to take him seriously. 
"Okay... why," I asked as I sat down next to him carefully. 
"Well... lately I've heard about this cult of younger Lurkers who like to go out and hookup with people at the club, then take them home and feast on their bodies after sex, like a gang-bang with a feast," he said. 
"Ew," I muttered and looked away. The idea made me sick. 
"So I was thinking that you and me could get dressed for that and go," he said, however when I looked in his eyes this time, I saw some insanity. 
This took me a while to register exactly what he was saying. "Oh no, I am not going to be dangled over a shark tank, have you lost your marbles?! No, I refuse," I said. 
"Listen, its not just guys in this cult-"
"Oh Marcus, I'm sure there are a handful of vampresses that are bisexual or homosexual," I said as I stood and began to pace. 
"Some of them are heterosexual, and even if they were bisexual, they might be attracted to me," he said as he watched me pace across my carpet. 
"This is probably the most dangerous sounding idea for an adventure that you've ever had," I shouted. "Have you asked the adults yet?"
"Yup, they thought it was a great idea," he said with a smile. I rolled my eyes. A chance for them to get rid of me always sounded like a great idea to them.  
 


© 2013 BreethesFire


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on January 13, 2013
Last Updated on January 21, 2013


Author

BreethesFire
BreethesFire

El Paso, TX



About
I'm 15 and I'm a bandgeek. Another passion of mine is writing, which is why I'm here. I like to write all different things and am constantly going through different genres of writing. more..

Writing