Chapter 1, Princess Responsibilities

Chapter 1, Princess Responsibilities

A Chapter by Kaybrie93

The Vampire Prince

  by Kimberly Shellman

           

Many nights, Princess Arianna just stared out her window at the flashing lights, customary music and contagious, uncontrollable laughter.  It seemed like every night there was a new reason to celebrate, and a party planned to do so; which she was never allowed to attend.

Being Princess is a big responsibility” her father always told her, and she didn’t disagree. Her parent’s believed the safest place for her was within the castle walls, where she was safe from the influences and deceptions of the “corrupted” villagers.

Countless nights she would sit in the darkness of her bedroom, enviously huddled over her window, ease-dropping on random conversations, and enviously watching the overcrowded festivities. It happened so often, that it nearly became a hobby of hers. She enjoyed watched the parties, but knew she would enjoy attending them even more. How different that would be. She would be able to eat the food, whose aroma tickled her nose, and talk to the people she secretly watched. Maybe she’d even meet a boy, and they’d dance all evening under the glowing lanterns.

Occasionally leaning up to dust the microscopic rocks and sand that embedded themselves into her forearms, from her stone window, she dreamed.

Once or twice, she entertained the idea of actually going. Her parents wouldn’t approve, but who would tell them? She wouldn’t stay long, but it would be surreal to actually attend one of the village parties. She often whimsically fantasized about how different her life would be after attending just one. She would certainly increase her vocabulary; surely the villagers spoke differently and more freely when amongst themselves, not concerned with how the royalty viewed them.

…and she would gain five pounds for sure. Simply admiring the feast’s aroma from her bedroom window made her feel satisfied and full; imagine actually indulging in the roasted pig, freshly baked pies, hot dinner rolls, and roasted vegetables. It would be the best meal of her life.

She didn’t have much time to think, though. This night was slightly different from the rest. Her family was celebrating something too, and she was being called to dinner. Three times the dinner bell rang, if it rang a fourth, she’d surely be in trouble for not coming fast enough.

Gleefully running down the halls and looping around the corners of the castle, she didn’t feel sixteen anymore, but six. Swaying her dress back and forth as she ran, a smile nested across her face. Approaching the dining room, she saw the cook, Mrs. Asher neatly lining the table with the appropriate dinnerware. “What’s on the menu?” She questioned, while leaning over the table with one delightful sniff. “Roasted turkey again?” she rhetorically asked, as she slumped down into her seat.

Posture, my dear” her mother, the Queen, corrected, as she gracefully stood behind her seat, waiting for a gentleman to pull it out for her.  Quickly the grand dining table was filled with various guests, awaiting the arrival of the King. What a dreary event for the princess. It was, in essence, a political banquet, and she felt she did not belong. Watching as the tall, pristinely dressed men, escorted their delicate women to their seats, she soon felt displaced. She was the only child there…well, not a child, but a teenager! She was proud of that.

In the background, Arianna could faintly hear the concluding parts of the villager’s festivities, and oh how she longed to be there. As she began to subconsciously slump in her seat, she felt a sudden prod from her mother, who sat directly to her right. “That’s not ladylike” she whispered. With no notice, a sudden spark was lit in Arianna’s eyes. She saw her best friend Leila turn the corner with her father, mother and older brother. Delicately tapping the seat next to her, she waved for Leila to come and sit, which she did…after subtly switching her name tag with her brothers who sat only a seat away.

Evening madam!” Leila grinned, as she leaned over Ari to greet the Queen; before giving Ari a subsequent smile. Before she knew it, the King had arrived and dinner was being served. The first course consisted of small portions of a freshly picked garden salad, and the second being sweet potato soup, garnished with cinnamon sugar, which was a rarity in the Peronian Kingdom. The third course was garlic roasted turkey, which Ari had grown tired of, and the fourth was a roughly made sweet potato pie. Finishing her last bite of food, Ari was felt so full, yet unsatisfied. These were foods she ate very often, and she was just so tired of them.

As diner concluded, everyone collectively rose from the table to finish the evenings conversation’s in the other room, which was normal. Quickly, the crowd disappeared past the lanterns and candles which lit their way through the windy halls of the castle. Loosely grabbing onto Leila’s sleeve, Ari motioned for her to stop. Grinning, and standing at the end of the hall waiting for the coast to clear, they ran. Back up to Ari’s room they went.

Running to the window, Ari spun around and threw herself onto a seat which was tucked neatly by her bed. Pulling herself to her knees, she gazed out the window, admiring the crowds as they dispersed. “Don’t you wanna go?” Ari gently asked Leila as she turned to meet her confused stares.

“…to a village festival” She clarified “Don’t you ever dream of going?”

Of course not!” Leila quickly jabbed back. “It is not proper for the princess to partake in such festivities…nor should her best friend

Leila’s rosy pink cheeks grew pinker, as she elegantly pinned her curly blond hair back. Feeling badly about the sudden attitude, Leila pulled herself up and placed her hand on Ari’s shoulder. “Why would you want to do such a thing?”

It was out of character for Leila to even think about doing such a thing. Sneaking out for a party? Certainly not. Both Ari and Leila’s parents were strong public figures, and it would look bad for their daughter’s to rebel. How could they run a kingdom, if they couldn’t control their own daughters?

After several moments, Leila tried her hardest to illustrate the consequences of rebelling, as Ari sat quietly and listened. Assuming her lecture had an impact, she sat down next to her friend “…don’t you agree?”

Gracefully looking over at her Leila, she giggled “of course not! It will do no harm for me to enjoy myself. Nothing bad could come of it” She insisted.



© 2012 Kaybrie93


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
:-)
This is an interesting idea to work on. I kind of get the feeling that the MC doesn't really want to be princess (I sure as heck wouldn't).

My only real issue is the grammar. There are a bunch of places that are missing commas or capital letters. I'm sure no one really cares that much... It's probably only me being a grammar Nazi. Do forgive me, haha.

I'd enjoy reading more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaybrie93

11 Years Ago

No, I love you're constructive critism, that's why I uploaded it! It's helpful, and I'd be more than.. read more



Reviews

Pretty good, keep at it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

If only such high social standing was as glamourous as it appears to a commoner...an intriguing and dramatic start to a piece that has the feel of an anti-fairytale :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaybrie93

11 Years Ago

Thanks! That's exactly what I was going for! :)
kublakhan27

11 Years Ago

No problem :D
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
:-)
This is an interesting idea to work on. I kind of get the feeling that the MC doesn't really want to be princess (I sure as heck wouldn't).

My only real issue is the grammar. There are a bunch of places that are missing commas or capital letters. I'm sure no one really cares that much... It's probably only me being a grammar Nazi. Do forgive me, haha.

I'd enjoy reading more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaybrie93

11 Years Ago

No, I love you're constructive critism, that's why I uploaded it! It's helpful, and I'd be more than.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

315 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 14, 2012
Last Updated on August 14, 2012
Tags: the vampire prince, drama, fiction, teen, vampire, mystery, chapter 1


Author

Kaybrie93
Kaybrie93

KS



About
I love writing! I'd say teen drama/fiction, is my forte. I may upload a lot of unfinished literary pieces, but that's only cause they're all unfinished!... don't worry, I'm working on fixing that :) more..

Writing