The Board

The Board

A Story by Britton Summers
"

A young boarding school student has a bizarre encounter with a particular board.

"
The Board 

Author’s Note: I DO NOT encourage in ANY CIRCUMSTANCES to use an Ouija board so I recommend you don’t use one. You can call me crazy if you want or a wacky religious person but I don’t recommend you use an Ouija board. This is a work of fiction. I may get it to CreepyPasta ( if it’s scary enough. ) 

It’s been several years since the fire happened, the mysterious fire that burned down Dorm 13 and it killed 8 people. It has haunted me so for years that I haven’t returned to the haunting feeling of the building. I will give you the story of how it burned down. It is a long story of how it happened and I will make it as brief as possible. 

I had gone to boarding school for several years after I had grown disillusioned with public school life and had gone to boarding school to escape that disillusionment. I had felt trapped in public school because of the countless things that I disapproved of while there and some of the bullying had made me sad and I wanted to try something new. So I went to boarding school and I had a good time there. There were some delinquents there. But I managed to find some friends and I got comfortable there. 

The fire happened during my junior year and I had seen some strange things happen not long before the fire destroyed Dorm 13. 

My junior year was not eventful I can tell you that. Maybe except the fact that I knew a sophomore who had moved in next door from me. His name was Derek Jacobs. Derek Jacobs was a peculiar figure. He was a tall and slender figure, He had dark eyes and white pale skin. His hair was so blond it was almost white. He was a very out-going person though and he had many friends that he hung out with. Derek Jacobs was a strange person though. He was always interested in the occult and had owned many occult books and the book he had been reading The Book of the Law by Aliester Crowley and had one of his quotes plastered to his wall which said 

“ Intolerance is evidence of Impotence. “ 

Derek Jacobs read a lot. He mostly read occult works and philosophy books. Many people admired him but many people thought he was strange. My school was vehemently Catholic and disapproved of his interest of occult. They also didn’t like when he quoted Crowley in his classes. But people never really took his interest in the occult seriously. Everyone just thought he had strange interests. 

I never really talked to Derek Jacobs until one night during my junior year I saw Derek Jacobs walking towards me. 
“ hello Derek. “ I said 
“ Hello. “ Derek said, he had something in an old box. 
“ how have you been? “ I asked 
“ I’ve been good. “ he said “ just in classes and doing my normal things. “ 
My curiosity got the best of me so I asked Derek Jacobs “ what’s in the box? “ 
Derek Jacobs pulled out what was in the box. It was a dusty and old, but working Ouija board. 
“ What are you doing with that? Those things are evil! “ I recoiled in horror. 
Derek smiled in amusement and said “ it’s probably a fake. “ 
I then regained my composure and said “ I’m not doing that with you. “ 
Derek persisted but I had refused. You may consider me a chicken for saying no to Derek Jacobs. I am not but my parents and grandmother as a child told me to stay away from Ouija boards. My grandmother always said to me when I was a kid. 
“ stay away from Ouija boards. “ she said “ those things are evil. “ 
I always said I would. 

I went inside my dorm room and saw my roommate Todd Anton playing on my Playstation 3. He saw my paleness and said 
“ What’s wrong? You see a ghost? “ 
“ no. “ I said “ Derek Jacobs wanted me to play with him and he had an Ouija board. “ 
Todd then looked ecstatic and said “ No way I got to check it out man! “ 
Todd then left and I gave a sigh in frustration. 

That night I didn’t do anything. I didn’t play on my Playstation 3. I just sat on my bunk and read in the dark. I had looked outside and saw fellow classmates of mine Eugene Finch and Amy Muller headed to Derek’s dorm with some beers. I sighed once again and went inside. I turned my lights out and read in the dark. I did hear some noises. Most of it was laughter and cracking of beer cans. I was annoyed that I couldn’t sleep due to their laughter and beer can cracking. I had very thin walls and I could hear everything that was going on next door to me. I then finally got quiet at around 3:30 in the morning.
“ Finally. “ I thought “ I’ll get some sleep. “ 

Luckily the next day was Sunday so it was a weekend day and Mass was on Sunday. I usually was forced to attend. I am religious but I wasn’t vehemently Catholic like many of the teachers and some of the students were. It was required at my boarding school to go. So I went. I slept in and went to the 12:30 service. My teacher wasn’t happy but I wasn’t about to tell him why I was late. 

When I returned to my dorm my roommate Todd Anton was sleeping and I decided to wake him up. Todd looked as if he had a hangover from the previous night. 
“ Todd what happened last night? “ I asked 
He didn’t answer, he was too intoxicated to answer. 

Todd woke up from his stupor and told me that he didn’t remember what happened. I was skeptical but he persisted that he didn’t remember. I left him alone after that. 

As the week went along I began to notice several things that were wrong with the dorm. Remember I told you that the walls were thin. I heard noises coming from the rooms next door. Sometimes it was things being thrown at the wall. It would then get so cold that I wouldn’t be able to go to sleep. I was also afraid to go to sleep because I felt like something was in the room with me. This went on for about  two weeks. I wouldn’t go to sleep because it was cold. I would get unnerved so bad that I wouldn’t go to sleep. I remembered an old Poe story that the narrator in the story would get so nervous that he couldn’t go to sleep. I felt the same way. Todd was living with me at the same time the phenomenon was going on. My loss of sleep caused me to miss classes and make me go half to sleep. I was threatened with expulsion if it happened again. 

I had talked to my friends Todd Anton and Derek Jacobs. Derek Jacobs was paranoid. The thing that had happened to Todd and I was happening to Derek Jacobs, Eugene Finch, and Amy Muller. Derek had claimed that him playing with the Ouija board had caused this to happen. Todd didn’t believe it but when Derek said that things were being thrown in his house, tapping on the walls, and he had things thrown at him. Derek Jacobs looked extremely paranoid so I left the lunch table. 

I could finally stand my sleepless nights no longer so I went to my Grandmother’s house. She knew how to do things like this. How to solve problems like this. I took a sick day and went to my Grandmother’s house. She lived close to my boarding school. When I got there I told her about my situation. She looked at me and said 
“ Say By the name of Jesus Christ get out of this room. Mean it with all your heart. “ 
“ ok. “ I said 
With that, I departed. 

I had been in my room playing video games and I felt the cold in my presence and I then remembered what my Grandmother told me. 
“ By the name of Jesus Christ get out of this room! “ 
Right then the cold in the room disappeared and I then continued playing video games. Todd Anton, who was bundled up in his coat, came in and then noticed he room was in its normal temperature. 
“ what happened? “ Todd asked 
“ Jesus saves. “ I said “ let’s make sure the cold doesn’t come back. “ 

Todd and I went to our teacher Mr. Levine, who was one of the vehemently Catholic teachers at our school. We went to his classroom and we asked for some of the crosses he had. He was confused but he gave us the crosses. 
“ what do you need them for? “ Mr. Levine asked 
“ we wanted to show that we love the Lord. “ Todd said 
“ well that’s nice. “ Mr. Levine said 
With that, Todd and I left. 

Todd and I heard from a superstitious friend of ours Brandon Yeats to wear a necklace of salt to keep evil spirits away. So we stole salt from the kitchen and bought vial necklaces from the store. We wore them and the strange happenings stopped in our dorm. 

But it didn’t stop for my other friends. Derek Jacobs got it the worst and he wouldn’t come out of his house unless for classes. He was extremely paranoid and with good reason. The strange happenings happened worse in his dorm room. More and more I began to see less and less of Derek Jacobs. 

The strange happenings continued for about two weeks. Derek Jacobs was more paranoid so he stayed in his dorm room. The last time I saw Derek Jacobs was two days before the fire destroyed Dorm 13. He looked different then he did before. His short towhead had grown longer and messier. He had the same slender and tall appearance but he was different. 
“ hello Derek. “ I said 
“ hey. “ Derek said 
“ how’s it been? “ I asked 
He looked extremely nervous and then said “ strange things have been happening man. I don’t know what to say. I shouldn’t have played with that board. I destroyed everything but I can’t get rid of the board. It won’t get destroyed. “ 
He looked crazy but I wasn’t about to think he was crazy. 
“ see you later Derek. “ I said 
With that I left Derek Jacobs. 

The day of the fire started out like a normal day. I went to Mass because it was Sunday. But I had a feeling that something bad was going to happen. So I convinced my roommate Todd Anton to go with me to my Grandmother’s house. It was a surprise that he believed my suspicions. I guess that the strange happenings  convinced him that I was right in my claim. 

So we went to my Grandmother’s house and we stayed there for almost the entire day. We had a good time and my Grandmother had enjoyed our visit. I don’t recall much of the visit but I do remember we talked most of the time. We went back to the dorm and then we saw it…

The fire destroyed all of Dorm 13. Everyone in the dorm building perished in the fire…Except for Todd and I. 

The police said that the fire was caused by a reckless student playing with the old fireplace at the bottom of the place but Todd and I knew the truth. Derek Jacobs had also perished in the fire. I knew it had something to do with the board that he played with. He was a good kid. He didn’t have to die. 

The boarding school became haunted for me after that. I never returned there for my senior year. Todd did the same and we both went to another boarding school for our senior year. Todd and I never went back to our boarding school, not even for school reunions. 

My curiosity soon got the best of me and sure enough I went back to my old boarding school to see if they had gotten anything from Dorm 13. I went over towards a man and asked him from anything that may have been recovered from the old dorm. The fire department had given most of the destroyed stuff back to my school and they kept it in the back of the school. The man recognized me from my schooling days and he let me in to check the place out. There were a lot of charred things in the room I was in. I looked around and there I saw it. 

The box with the board in it… 

I walked towards it in fear. I then looked at it and then noticed that the board was still in there. There was not one speck of dust and there was not one little sign of damage that had been done to the board. My eyes widened and I was tempted to scream but I didn’t. I quietly put the board down in the box and put it back in the spot where it was. I then quietly walked back in fear and then I went to the exit. 
“ did you find what you were looking for? “ he asked 
“ yes, I think I better be going now. “ I said 
I got into my car and I got out of there as fast as I could. 

And I haven’t been back there since. 

The End 

© 2016 Britton Summers


Author's Note

Britton Summers
I really fricking hate this story, so don't take it too seriously. I'm bad at scary.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on September 3, 2016
Last Updated on September 3, 2016
Tags: ouija

Author

Britton Summers
Britton Summers

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, OK



About
My name is Britton, I am a writer, novelist, thinker, and minor philosopher. I primarily like to write science fiction, literary fiction, horror, philosophical fiction, and much more. I also write on .. more..

Writing