Strangers

Strangers

A Story by Brittney Lea
"

Okay this is the first six pages of my small novel, this is part of her intro.

"

Strangers

          The Underground, such a mysterious name for such a beautiful place. The underground is a coffee shop located downtown in my town. I’m a local college student and in between my lectures that seem to go on for hours, and my hectic work schedule, I like to take a short 10 minute walk to the most calming, relaxing building that I have ever been to. The Underground of course! I’ve been coming here since I was a young teenager. The first time I came here was magical.

         

I was 12, I was on a road trip with my bestfriend, Clare and her family. We were driving to the college that I am attending now, The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale.  Her brother was years older than us and he was a senior and trying to make up his mind about what college he wanted to go to. Her dad thought it would be a great idea to go on a week long road trip circling around the state to different colleges that Clare’s brother, Braedon was interested in. We were on or way to the college, “I want a Frappe.” Clare’s mom, Barbra stated.


“When we get to the college I’m sure they have a Starbucks.” Clare’s dad, Jack forced.


“I want to see if there is one of those trendy little locally own ones that you always see in the movies and read about in books!” She insinuated, Mrs. Barbra always into old towns, coffee shops, vintage stores, romance movies, and novels. I guess that’s why her and I got along so well, we liked the same things minus the romance novels. “Come on Honey! Braedon would enjoy seeing the surroundings if he decides to enroll here!”


“I don’t know,” he hesitated, “What do you think kids?”


“Eh, I could go for a coffee.” Braedon mumbled.


“Oh. My. God! YES!” Clare sounded a little too excited for just a coffee shop I thought at the time. She turned to me and gave me this look as if she was asking me my approval. “I don’t care, I quite enjoy the hipster coffee shop scene.”


“Quite enjoy?” Clare mocked, “No wonder you don’t have a boyfriend.”


“Hey! That better be the last thing you are worried about young lady!” Mr. Jack said acting stern. The whole car busted out into laughed as we pulled onto one of the roads with little shops and boutiques on it. It had this charm of a small town, but at the same time you knew it wasn’t. There was his certain vibe that the town was releasing. It was almost like I belonged here. There were all sorts of people on the sidewalks, hipsters, rockers, preppy people, hippies, and even business people. “Look Braedon, there’s a group of people carrying canvases! They must be from the college!” Mrs. Barbra yelled.

         

We must have past at least 10 different coffee shops that seemed fun, but they “weren’t perfect” according to Mrs. Barbra. You could tell Mr. Jack was getting very irritated, you could almost see the vein on his neck, it looked like it was about to pop. We rounded the corner to see a black sign with big white letters “The Underground”. It’s a small sized brown brick building with 4 tables outside the door, two on the right and two on the left. There is a black metal gate surrounding the front. There is a little used book store to the right and a vintage clothing store to the left. “It’s perfect!”  Mrs. Barbra took the words right out of my mouth.

         

We parked the car, and walked towards the door. The wind blew my long hair back as I pulled the door open. The shop smelled like the coffee isle in Walmart, but stronger. There are not man people only about 8 or 9. The walls are a olive color with a dark hardwood floor. All the tables near the door are only meant for two, the ones on either side of the front desk seat four. There is also one booth on either side. The walls where decorated in modern art, I’m guessing came from the college.

          

We all walked up to the front desk where there was a woman, about 20 with soft features. Her glossy black hair was tucked into a messy bun that hung almost to her back. I wore the same bun a lot of times; I call it the retired artist bun. She wore eye liner and had five piercings in each of her ears. “May I help you?”


~


I sit here 8 years later, typing away on my essay on how the western civilization has evolved within the past 100 years. I’ve been coming here on a regular basis since I was accepted into the college, 2 years ago. I come at least every other day, if not every day. I’ve not missed a poetry night since Clare had her “I Got Accepted in to Music College party”. It happens every Thursday night, poetry night that is. Clare maybe a little out there some times but when it comes to her and her piano, it’s just magical. If you give her any piece she will have it perfected within 24 hours.

          I enjoy poetry night very much, the talent that you see coming from these people is amazing. Every time there is at least one to two new comers, last week we had 40 people show up. It was packed so much they had to pull out more tables and call in two extra workers. I have participated twice but I’m not as outgoing as many people in this world. It’s not that I think I am a horrible writer, I am one of the top writers in my creative writing classes. I just don’t want to get in front of people and expose my feelings or what not.


“Well look who it is!” Savana called out from the front counter. She is a friend from the college that works here. She is always trying to get me to apply here and I am always giving her the same excuse about not wanting to mix the world of stressed out work into my relaxation place. “Working on a paper I see?”


“Yeah, and I’m guessing you haven’t even started?” she smirks at me and looks to the side, “Uh huh.”


“Hey you know me I’ll get it done,” she shrugs, “Just like I always do.”


“So, stay up the night before it is due and pull it out of your a*s?”


“Exactly!” She exclaims. I roll my eyes and crack a smile, “So are you gonna read one of your poems tonight?” My smile desecrates.


“I don’t know, I just finished one but I don’t want…I mean I don’t know…”


“Alex, come on you’re an amazing writer and you know that!”


“Yeah but…”


“Alexandria Finley, you are going to read one of your poems tonight if I have to tie you to the stage myself!”


“You didn’t have to use my full name, and what stage? It’s just a 4x4 wooden brick that you put in the middle of the shop.”


“Where is your imagination? I thought you were an art student! We as artists have to have a different look at everything! We have to have open mides to do what we do! And further more…”


“Woah save the speech for someone who doesn’t hear it every week.”


“Just please!!” She looks at me with those puppy dog eyes she knows I can’t resist.


“Okay!...Fine! I’ll do it!” oh god…what did I just do…


“OH YAY!!” Savana started jumping up and down like a little child, “I’m going to sign you up right now!!”


“Okay well it’s already 2 and I have a 2:30 lecture so…” I close my laptop and start to put it in my bag.


She clapped her hands together, “I’ll see you tonight then!”  I walk towards the door I pause, “Is something wrong?”


She c***s her head to the side waiting for me to say something, “Yeah everything is fine,” I pause again, “just can’t wait for tonight.” Lie…


~


          I know that a lot of people don’t like walking in the Florida heat, but I find it very relaxing. I put my headphones in and I just go into my own world. I’m sure a lot of artists are like that though. That word…artist, I hear people calling me that. I say it over and over like a bad song I just can’t get out of my head. Artist artist artist artist artist…

         

When did you first find out you could draw like that? The first question a lot of people ask me. I never got that question, it’s almost like asking someone when they first found out that they could walk. But my response is always the same, it didn’t just happen, it took years of practice. Even now I use at least a full eraser one just a small sketch.

          

There are some clouds in the sky they aren’t that big but there is always a possibility of rain. Oh how I love rain, oh that reminds me of a song! I grab my phone and start searching for Whole Wide World. I put my phone back in my pocket and start walking to the beat. I sing along in my head as I walk the busy streets.


I’m gonna walk a hundred miles,

I’m gonna whistle all the while

If that’s what it takes to make me smile

I’m gonna walk a hundred miles

 

I’m gonna run right up this hill

Summer sky or winter chill

If I gotta take a break I will

But I’m gonna run right up this hill

 

I wanna hold the whole wide world

Right here in my open hands

Maybe I’m just a little girl

A little girl with great big plans 

I’m gonna go…


          My breath is gone. I feel a force knock me off my feet. I hit the hard sidewalk. I close my eyes but I feel my bag slam on the ground next to me. I sit up, “Oh my god! I am so sorry!” I hold my head with one hand and look up, he’s tall. He looks like a hipster, but darker. He has glasses on I’m not sure if they are prescription or fake, I can’t really tell, but I see two of him.

          

He bends down and pulls me up, I lean against a wall to get my balance back. “I am so sorry miss!” he should know it’s not all his fault, “I was on my way somewhere and i was in a rush I..I didn’t mean to…”


“You are okay it’s partially my fault too, I was in my own little world,” I put my hand on his shoulder, something catches my eye, “Is that your’s?”


“Oh this yes I was on my way to a class but...”


“Class?” does he go…


“Yeah I...uh go to the art college here.” I tilt my head to the side.


“Funny I’ve never seen you before?” I’ve been going here for 2 years dude I would know your face at least, “What year?”


“Second.” What the hell! How do I not know you?


“I’m a second year too,” I pause, “did you transfer or?”


“Nope,” I am so confused, “I did online for the first year and first semester of this year, I uh had a family issue.”


“Oh dang,” I look at my phone which, thank god isn’t broken, “S**t! It’s 2:15.”


“Got somewhere to be?” I grab my bag and start to walk off.


“I have a 2:30 lecture,” I turn around and give a quick smile, “It was nice meeting you!”


“You too!” he called back with a wave.

~

© 2014 Brittney Lea


Author's Note

Brittney Lea
this is only part, like i said. the next scene is going to be a couple of memories she has from her parents and her up brining feed back please?
-enjoy-

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, I like the dialogue.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Brittney Lea

9 Years Ago

do you think i need to work on the context more?
I'm gonna judge the he ** outta this piece.

You're a young writer and it shows,

But your a good writer who is definitely going to get better with time cause you got it.

Don't be afraid about other peoples opinion, you can't stop em' from having em'.

Instead grab em' by the neck and use them to improve.

Keep going kiddo and thanks for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is a good starter! I cant wait till the next chapter!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 27, 2014
Last Updated on July 27, 2014
Tags: romance, love story, strangers, intro, new book, college

Author

Brittney Lea
Brittney Lea

Benton, AR



About
Hi, I'm a teenage girl, & I have a lot to say. I make these statements In my writings that I will post on here I've been writing stories and poems since I was a younger & I think it's time for people .. more..

Writing
You Fool You Fool

A Story by Brittney Lea