Old but not forgotten

Old but not forgotten

A Chapter by BrokenSail

The street was dark, with half-working lamp posts shimmering over the slick roads.
I stood on the sidewalk, back up against the wall of a closed building, and a cigarette smoking between my lips.
A hand stuffed in the pocket of my winter jacket, my pale blue eyes scanned over the mostly empty street laid out before me.
It was after four in the morning, there weren’t many people out.
I was standing out in the cold, in the middle of the night, simply because I didn’t have anything to do and because I didn’t have anywhere to go.
I was hardly paying attention to the occasional passing car, or occasional passing stranger, but when my eyes landed on a certain figure they lingered.
He was walking swiftly down the street, not too far from where I was standing, his chin tilted up and a bored expression over his features.
When he stepped into the dim light of the streetlamp a couple yards away, a surge of old passion ran through me as I recognized him.
Old but not forgotten. I wished I could forget him.
His features revealed in the light; his carelessly disheveled black hair, curling at the ends, his full pink lips, gorgeous cheekbones, and those captivating hazel eyes.
I swallowed, a rising feeling in my throat; a mixture of excitement and nervousness.
He got closer, his slim figure clothed in all black, and I had the urge to say something to him.
Without really thinking, I said; “Billie?”
He stopped at the sound of his name, his gaze traveling to me as he stood not a few feet from where I was.
He was an ex-boyfriend. We hadn’t talked in months, since we broke up.
A patronizing expression came over his features. “Do I know you?”
I guessed by the faint smirk on his perfect lips that he was just saying that.
My heart was beating faster than it should’ve been. “Yeah,” I shook my head slightly.
“What’s your name?” His eyebrows pulled together slightly, his smirk growing.
“Well you called me a lot of things.” I muttered bitterly.
I heard him chuckle, stepping onto the sidewalk.
I glanced up at him as he took the cigarette from my lips, putting it to his.
“What are you doing out here, Corey?” He questioned.
He looked beyond sexy as my cigarette smoldered between his lips, his sultry eyes showing a slight amused smile.
“Nothing. What are you doing out here, Billie?”
I was much more interested in that.
“I’m walking home. My bicycle broke.” He made a jokingly sad face.
I breathed a laugh, shaking my head.
“Why are you standing out here on the side of a street like a coked-up prostitute?” He questioned cockily, his arrogance shining through brightly and making my heart ache.
Damn, I had missed him. I missed him a lot.
“Wow, thanks.” I mumbled, my eyes glancing from him to the ground.
“I’m just saying…Hey, you know, I’m putting out a new album.” He smiled.
“Off subject. But that’s nice.” I stared blankly down at my shoes.
“Well god, Corey. Your excitements killing me.” He said mockingly.
My eyes looked back up at him, making my heart ache more.
“No, really, that’s awesome, Billie. I’m happy for you.”
He nodded slowly, his eyes on mine. “Uh-huh, sure. You’re just radiating joy. Honestly, you’re f*****g glowing with all the happiness.” His voice was harsh with sarcasm.
“I am, seriously. When’s it coming out?”
I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t at least be looking for it.
“Three weeks.”
I could see the excitement sparkling in his dark hazel eyes.
I smiled slightly. “That’s cool.”
He took in a deep breath, taking a step back. “You obviously don’t want to talk.”
“No, I-I do. I just…” I glanced down for a brief moment. “I do, want to.”
He looked at me skeptically for a few moments. “Have you missed me, Corey?”
I looked down. “Yeah,”
“Aw,” He said mockingly. “You’re life must be miserable without me.”
“Yeah,” I agreed resentfully.
“How do you even go on with your existence without my ray of sunshine to brighten your pathetic life?”
“I don’t know.” I said bitterly, looking back up at him.
He smiled. “You’re a joy, babe. But I should get going; I have more important things to do.”
I bit my lip, my eyes moistening. “Of course you do.”
He tilted his head. “Is that a bit of bitterness I detect?”
He’s just now noticing?
I looked away, not answering, my throat feeling tight.
He came back to stand beside me, in my line of sight.
He gave me a sarcastically sympathetic expression and I turned my eyes away, swallowing.
“You do realize we’re better off without each other?”
When I glanced back his expression was serious.
I nodded absentmindedly.
I didn’t really know if I agreed or not.
I just know I liked my life a hell of a lot better when he was in it.
Even with all the ups and downs.
“So, what’s the problem?” He questioned.
I shrugged faintly. “No problem.”
“Alright…”
It was silent for a moment and I shifted uncomfortably.
“You’re a lot of fun to be around.” He stated sarcastically, flicking the cigarette across the street.
“Yeah, I know.”
He started towards the street. “See you later, loser.”
I stared dully at him as he stepped off the sidewalk.
He turned back, an unreadable expression on his face. “I love you, Corey.”
Before I even knew how to respond he walked off, sprinting across the street.
I looked down when his figure was out of sight.
“I love you too, Billie.”



© 2011 BrokenSail


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
80.
Aw, I love this.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
1 Review
Added on October 31, 2011
Last Updated on October 31, 2011


Author

BrokenSail
BrokenSail

Winchester, VA



About
I've been writing my whole life. I started out with poems, as young as a couple years old. I started writitng stories when I was about thirteen. I've written lyrics for so long, I can't even really.. more..

Writing