Suspicion

Suspicion

A Chapter by Brooke

After being escorted back to the inn by Dad and about half of the town, they sat Doc and I down and probed us for information. The thing I didn't understand was that none of the townspeople had been hunting in the forest from what my dad said. It left me wondering who was out there...and why.

"And no one's seen Nicholas at all?" I asked.

"No, and judging from last night's blizzard, who knows where he is. It's impossible to track him now," Dad replied, still brooding over me.

"That's unfortunate. I really needed to meet up with him. We had a rendezvous with someone nearby and this whole thing has made us late," Doc added with a sigh.

"You still never told me how you know Nicholas," I pushed. I couldn't help it. I felt like I had to know.

" We work together."

"What kind of work?"

"That's a little hard to explain. I'm sure you'll see soon enough."

Doc's vague answers were raising all kinds of red flags with me. While his casual demeanor seemed harmless, there was still a sense of cautiousness I felt in my stomach. Something doesn't sit right with him. Ever since he saw that picture, he's been different...more friendly.

Suddenly, the inn's front door opened. Three men entered and all of their clothes' were stained in blood. Instant fear and worry shot through me as I thought of Nicholas.

"Sorry about all that racket yesterday. We were the ones in the woods. We were hunting a large wolf. Pure white. Very rare. I guess we got a little carried away. I hope no one got hurt," the leader explained.

"My daughter got hurt! What do you have to say to that?!" Dad shouted back.

I tugged on Dad's jacket. "Stop. I'm fine. You're making a scene."

"I'm truly sorry, miss. I'd like to make it up to you." The fact that I had never seen these men before put me on edge. I didn't care about the guy's apology. "If you feel that bad, pay this doctor for treating me and buy me a new jacket. We'll call it even after that."

"Of course! That's no problem at all! Thank you for not pressing charges."

"'Not pressing charges?' Like hell we're gonna let you off that easy!" Dad pushed.

"Dad, that's enough. They're not from here," I whispered.

"That's more of a reason to sue them for attempted murder or endangerment," Dad whispered back.

I rolled my eyes and sighed at my dad's overprotective behavior. Another question crossed my mind as I took another look at the men.

"Um, why are you covered in blood?"

"Well, we went out hunting for a white wolf but we didn't kill one. Instead, we got ourselves a few plump deer. We were skinning them outside of town when we heard rumors that a girl was missing in the woods. That's when we came on over here to apologize and whatnot."

"Well, that makes more sense. Coming in here saying that you've been out hunting and, looking like that, we were beginning to think you might have killed a boy we know," Doc teased casually.

"Ha ha, oh man. Sorry to scare you all. Haven't seen any boy out there. If we do, we'll let you know."

"You do that."

"Well, take care and sorry again, little lady."

With that, the men left. Seconds after the door closed behind them, the inn erupted in a sea of whispers of relief. So, it turns out we live in a town of naive idiots who listen to every word someone tells them and they believe it. Except for me. I'm the type of person who will always be cautious of strangers. I wonder if that's a lie, considering how I've been acting since I met Nicholas?

"Well, that was quite entertaining. If I may, innkeeper, pay for a room? I'd like to stay here until Nicholas returns, if that's alright," Doc asked.

"Seeing as how you helped Ashlyn, the first night's rent is free. However, that's all I can do. I do have to make a living, you know!"

"Of course. I understand and thank you."

Three days later...

Even after three days, Nicholas still hadn't turned up. Doc still has a room at the inn, patiently waiting for Nicholas to return.

"Hey, Dad. Why do you think Doc is so intent on waiting for Nicholas? I mean, how does he know that Nicholas will even come back?" I asked Dad as we worked on fixing a snow plow.

"Both good questions. Why don't you just ask him yourself? He seems like the type of guy that would at least answer those questions. Although, I doubt you'd get any personal information about himself or Nicholas out of him."

"Yeah. Doc doesn't seem a little odd to you?"

"Odd? Certainly. Then again, you're a little odd yourself."

"Ha ha, that's hilarious. I'm serious. And what about Nicholas just up and disappearing like that? I didn't think it was that big of a deal."

Dad stopped tightening those hose he had replaced and looked at me. Raising an eyebrow, he clearly intended for me to stop standing there watching him and help. I took over tightening the hose while he moved to another piece of the plow.

"...I think you're overthinking this. We don't owe Nicholas anything and he doesn't owe it to us to tell his life's story or explain his actions to you. The deal was that he would work off his stay at the inn. That was it. If he feels he paid it in full, he has every right to leave and no one can stop him. It's that simple."

"Wish I could leave..." I mumbled to myself.

"What was that?"

"I said, 'Why would he want to leave?'"

"Your sarcasm is sorely lacking today, Ash."

"Yeah, yeah."

When I fell silent, Dad glanced over at me. I could feel his gaze on my face, but I didn't care. My thoughts were occupied with Nicholas. I had so many questions to ask but, more importantly, I still had his picture. I knew it had to be something special to him because of how old it looked and that it was stashed away in his jacket.

"Why don't you take Shadow and search the forest again? See if you can find Nicholas out there somewhere."

"Really? You're gonna let me go out there after what happened? I'm surprised."

"First, if you really wanted to go, you'd do it anyway--with my permission or not. Second, you've been thinking a lot about Nicholas and, when you do, you look sad. I don't like to see you that way, so yes, I will let you go...as long as you're back by 10."

"Deal. Shadow!"

Shadow bounded up to me, tail wagging excitedly. I waved goodbye to Dad and I raced Shadow to the woods. Naturally, he beat me. The thrilling sensation I felt as I sprinted after Nicholas four days ago hadn't returned since. I love the cold weather and the wind didn't bother me. It wasn't cold then and it isn't cold now. The thing that gave me goosebumps was the thrill of something exciting, scary, and dangerous happening. I think that was what Doc was actually referring to when he said Nicholas was attracted to my personality. 

"A literal danger magnet. Everywhere he goes, he brings something new and threatening with him. It's one way to live life on the edge and, either way you look at it, it's way better than a normal life is this desolate place. Right, Shadow?"

Shadow barked happily and continued to bounce around me. Our footprints left a trail in the white snow. Looking around at all the snow, I couldn't help but remember the white wolf the hunters were talking about. If it really lives out here, I hope I can see it one day. Something that fierce and beautiful, like Nicholas, made my heart skip.



© 2016 Brooke


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
hi
ok i love the story why did you only write this much,and there is a few parts in the story that need to be cleared up, like you need to explain the weather a little better,
like first it was just cold and then a snow storm out of nowhere, maybe you could say there wasclouds coming in the distance.

but over all i like the story, it gives mystery.

have you written many stories because iam new byself but you seem more skilled



Posted 7 Years Ago


Brooke

7 Years Ago

About 2 years
hi

7 Years Ago

will you seem to have talent for it
Brooke

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for saying that!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
1 Review
Added on July 1, 2016
Last Updated on July 1, 2016


Author

Brooke
Brooke

Florence, SC



About
21. Passion for writing and listening to music. Loves food. Absolute nerd. Socially awkward. An open book (just ask me anything). And my favorite band/life-savers are 5 Seconds of Summer! more..

Writing
Baptized Baptized

A Story by Brooke


Nick Nick

A Chapter by Brooke