A few steps home

A few steps home

A Story by William Richards

George took Martha's hand and helped her from his Mazda. Her hand was cold, bony, wrinkled and dry. She was unsteady as she stepped on to the pavement and she focussed furiously on her gait as if she were walking for the first time.

Time had been cruel to her, George thought. He remembered her on their wedding day. Gorgeous. Full of life and laughter. An amazing first night together. But now, she was a shell of her former self. He couldn't stop himself crying whenever he left her at the secure dementia unit.

"Mind your step dear," he said, as she struggled to walk on the uneven pavement. There was gum on the pavement and grass growing in the cracks, nature relentlessly trying to take back what was hers. Was that what was happening to Martha's mind? Was she slowly being reclaimed by nature?

It was getting dark and cold. George worried she might start shivering. He worried he would struggle to get her back to the car quickly.

A raindrop fell. Please Lord don't let it rain, he thought. That would be a disaster.

"I want Derek to help me," she said and stopped and let go of his hand.

"Sorry Dear, Derek is not here right now." And he hadn't been for fifty years. He was her ex-lover. Her mind seemed stuck in that era at the moment. Sometimes, she even struggled to remember words.

She looked at him blankly. "Who are you? You're not Derek. You're too fat."

"I'm a friend of Derek's."

She nodded at that. He had to keep her walking or she would never see it. What he'd spent a week working on. Which had been harder because of his back pain and stiffness. But it was her favourite thing this time of year and he'd pushed through the pain to make it happen. He just hoped it brought her some joy.

"Where is Derek," she asked again. She started to look around like she would scream his name.

"Just behind this hedge my dear."

She seemed satisfied with that and they continued to shuffle along the pavement toward their old family home where George still lived.

He saw the tv aerial of his house first, sticking up and visible over the hedgerow. It was the only thing he hadn't decorated. It looked like a fish carcass out of place in the sky.

Martha started to fall. It was a slow fall, like an ancient oak falling in a forest. George responded and threw himself forward and caught her arm just in time. She looked at him, her eyes full of fear.

"Hold my hand dear," he said.

She nodded. He could feel her shaking. He wasn't sure if it was the near fall or the cold, but he whipped off his jacket and put it around her shoulders. He was wondering if this had been a good idea after all, or whether he should have gotten some extra help. But they were just a few steps away now and as soon as she saw it, he was sure she would love it.

They continued on the pavement, and the hedge that separated their neighbour's property from their own came up beside them and then disappeared behind them.

George saw the light shine onto Martha's face. Yellow, red, and green flashed from colour to colour. He didn't turn his head to see the house, he kept watching her. He wanted to see her reaction. But her face stayed blank.

He knew what she could see. The house was covered with fairy lights of different colours. A Santa with a sledge and reindeer were on the front lawn. Their two lemon trees were lit up and decorated like Christmas trees. They'd decorated the house like this every Christmas. It was her thing. It made her so happy, so delighted.

She just stared. He couldn't understand why she was blank. Surely this would mean something to her?

"Well, what do you think, Martha?" he asked, his voice quivering. Had he lost her to dementia forever?

She smiled and turned to him. "It's marvellous George."

He wiped away some tears. "Merry Christmas dear," he said and kissed her briefly on the lips.

She beamed at him and looked at the house some more. But then her face became passive again.

She turned to him. "You tell that Derek he's a scoundrel. I don't want to see him again."

The moment had passed. But it didn't matter to George. He'd made her smile. It was worth all the back pain and time. He started to lead her back to the car.

"I certainly will," he said.

He got her back into the car and got in himself. As he pulled away to take her back to the rest home, it started to rain.

© 2022 William Richards


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very good description of the cruel affliction of dementia William. I am going through this process with my mother at present and there are ups and downs all the way. There are no easy answers. Well done forv sharing your story.
All the best,
Alan


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Richards

2 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time to read. I hope there are plenty of ups to come for you and your mum.



Reviews

This was a moving band of moments that you have shared. Life is about having memories and sharing moments, even brief ones will do, sometimes. --- Well Stated!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Sad story! The imagery and detail were perfect!

Posted 2 Years Ago


I can relate to this well written story. Took care of my grandmother and aunt that had that awful illness!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Very good description of the cruel affliction of dementia William. I am going through this process with my mother at present and there are ups and downs all the way. There are no easy answers. Well done forv sharing your story.
All the best,
Alan


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Richards

2 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time to read. I hope there are plenty of ups to come for you and your mum.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 20, 2022
Last Updated on February 20, 2022

Author

William Richards
William Richards

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand



About
I enjoy writing. I don't know why. It's just exciting when you create something believable that you made up. I'm sure you might agree. I have a wife, three boys and two cats. I live in the farth.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..