A Tool In His Tool Box

A Tool In His Tool Box

A Story by Don Shaw
"

April 19 1995 the citizens of Oklahoma City became victim of a horrific attack. I was there.

"
   A Tool In His Tool Box

 My truck rolled up full of rescue supplies. As i jumped out , i stood in knee deep glass.All the sounds around me went silent as my ears grew deaf. Time stopped and i was trapped in a surreal nightmare.
 People running past me covered in blood. Mouths wide open screaming, but all i could hear was the sound of my own breath. Concrete dust filled the air along with smoke and floating debris. The air was thick and very difficult to breath.
 I stood there frozen in time, all was in slow motion. The presence of evil approached my heart, dark, thick, oozing around, searching for a weak soul to devour. My first thought was that this had to be an accident. No one would do this on purpose. As evil swirled around me at ground level i looked up. I looked up past the eight story building that once was whole but now is half. Looking into the sky i could feel the peaceful spirits as they floated in unison. Circling the down town area that was plunged into a  complete state of panic and pain. The heavenly spirits circled together. Swirling, swirling, in a clock wise maneuver.
I could feel their peace, their freedom,  as they looked down upon the mortals. 
 Time came rushing back to me as fast as the sounds. Screams and cries from those who were buried alive in the pancaked floors of the federal building. The smell of burned flesh filled my nose on a smoke clearing breeze .
 I took action and ran to the building. People covered in blood running past me screaming that there may be another bomb in the building. Body parts were scattered around me. Burning cars lined the streets.
 I was looking for someone in charge. Fire men and policemen were hustling here and there as ants do before a winter cold snap. I made contact with a Fire Chief and a lead person from the FBI. We began to set up a command post for rescue supplies . I was now in charge of locating and shipping all supplies needed for the rescue. Speed meant saving the lives of the people buried alive in the wreckage of evil that hit Oklahoma city that morning at 9:02 am. I wont go into a lot of the detail of what i witnessed over the next two months. I know this. I was a tool, plucked from the tool box of God that day and put to good use.

© 2011 Don Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You did an amazing job with the description, and I could really see the horrors you saw. I'm sorry you had to go through that experience, but it was something that you were meant to do. Bless you for being there, and thank you for writing this :) It was amazing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Cool chapter very nice word fixing, thanks..

Posted 12 Years Ago


Clean it up a bit. The emotional impact is heavy to say the least.

Nice work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This gave me chills, literally. I saw what you saw, the horror of it, the shock of it in such a short story. I can't even imagine what happened next, what you had witnessed next. The bravery of those faced with horror of such atrocities have earned my respect. Sometimes those of us who live so far away of such atrocities don't realize how devastating they are and even the news, nor media of any kind can fully capture the raw emotion of being right there in the midst of it. For me, its not until I read something like this where I truly realize the impact it has-news is objective, first hand though in such vivid description...unbearably moving.

god bless you

Posted 12 Years Ago


Thank the Living Lord you were available to be used as the the Lord's hands and feet that horrible day. The poem is mind blowing and very descriptive. I love it thoroughly. Also, I applaud your bravery. God Bless you!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow! Great story! To be used like that is wonderful...but what a tragic day. What bravery you show is amazing! Great write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A terrible time recreated in a heartbreaking way. I am so sorry you had to see so much horror but am am so glad you came through it and are the better for it...the angels were definitely with you that day x

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
hmm
short and full of emotions, love it

Posted 12 Years Ago


Short, but really really good!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Packed full of emotion and vivid descriptions and almost a poetic tempo... Good Work.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

665 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 4, 2011
Last Updated on October 4, 2011

Author

Don Shaw
Don Shaw

San Angelo, TX



About
I love the art of expression, be it of paint or pen, or a spoken word. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Not Today Not Today

A Poem by Thea


Wicked Son Wicked Son

A Poem by Thea