The Dragon

The Dragon

A Chapter by Burr the Story Sorceress

Deep in the ancient forests, in a place where no one has walked since the gypsy bands had been driven, stalked a timeless and powerful creature. Long ago had the being lost her heart to thousands of years trapped in the earth. Only rage, a desire for revenge, and love and sorrow for her lost sister lived in her now. Since she freed herself from her prison she has haunted the ancient temple in the heart of the ancient forest where the soul of her sister was trapped in a large diamond.

'Dralysea,' the diamond soul whispered, drawing the stalking creature away from the large doors of the temple and into the dark chamber deep in the ruins where it was placed on a black metal stand fashioned like a clawed hand. 'Dralysea, come hither, my sister. Calm thineself. There is no need to be so angered.'

The being once called Dralysea slowly walked to the inner room where her sister's soul was trapped. Her dusty black and gray hair fell all around her in waves that dragged the floor and covered half of her face. The part of her face the showed was a normal, pale human face with a brilliant blue eye, dainty nose, perfect red lips and nice straight teeth. Under the hair, however, was a completely different story. The soft, pale skin on the right side of her face was replaced by jet black scales dusted with gray. The brilliant blue of her right eye changed to the deep and captivating dark green of her left one. The change did not reach her nose or mouth, but when enraged she grew fangs and fire flared from tongue and nose.

As she reached the decaying door of the inner chamber where her sister's was she opened her large, bat-like wings and flapped them, forcing the rotten wood from her path. The wings were the same black as her scales and her body, bare of the clothes that had rotted away centuries ago like her modest and tender feelings, was covered in the scales except for one strip of pale human flesh the winded down from the right side of her face to her left foot.

'Dralysea, love, you are always so angry,' said the soul diamond. 'Come, sit, be calm.'

The creature settled her large wins around her, making them appear like a black cloak. She sat on the black stone floor before the diamond and it's stand. She leaned against the dark metal as her wings and hair fell around her on the floor. She subconsciously warmed the floor and metal touching her so that it was not so cold on her bare flesh.

“I do not wish to be calm,” she said softly, her husky voice barely stirring the air. “I want to be angry, to be enraged. I want that b******s throat in my hands so that I may rip it out. He is lucky he is long dead and gone.”

'No, sister, do not wish such things. He has done many a bad thing but you're taking of his life would not undo them. You know this.'

“I do not care!” screamed the being as she sat up, body tensed and wings weakly flared. She slashed at the wall and left four long, burning tears in the dark stone. “Kill him, I want to so much! Rip out his throat, drink up his soul, if he had a soul! Dance in his blood and delight in tearing his flesh! Pull out his eyes and bite off his vile, lying tongue! All! I wish it all on him!” She fell back against the stand again, weak from her ill wishes. It was her curse, from being trapped in the earth for so long, to be so weak physically while her magical power was as strong as it ever was. Her voice softened to a murmur. “Kill him............. So long, was I, in that place......... Earth, so much....... Cold............. Dark............... Small.............. Couldn't move............ Weak, I am so weak............ Tired............”

'Sleep, my sister, sleep,' purred the diamond. 'Being in the earth did not agree with you. You must rest under the sky for a few more centuries still. Go. Nap under the stars where you should, Dralysea.'

“Not Dralysea,” the dragon being muttered as she weakly rose. “Never more Dralysea. Dragon is I. Dragon Lady now. Never more Dralysea. Ever more Dragon.”

'Dragon, then. Go to rest.'

“Show me again, sister,” said the insane creature. “Show me his last decendant. Let me see his evil visage so that I may plan his death.”

The soul in the diamond did not wish to obey. It did not, however, have a choice. The nature of the spell that bond it forced the soul inside to do the biding of whoever commands it. As the soul's former wizard love had controlled it before, Dragon command it now, and the soul diamond had to obey.         The diamond glowed and an image appeared in it's center.

Her target was of average height but not of average weight, being far too thin to be healthy. His hair was black and shaggy as if he didn't take any time at all caring for it. The dark, wild strands fell almost to his blood red eyes that had no pupils. His dark tan skin made his eyes stand out even more and on his left arm was a swirling black tribal tattoo that was think enough to be easily seen. He was bent over an old looking book, the sleeves of his pale gray shirt rolled up past his elbows as his evil eyes looked for a piece of information he needed. A pale, slim hand gently touched his narrow shoulders. Dragon waved away the image as her prey turned in annoyance to the one who disturbed him. The creature gently patted the diamond before turning to leave the dim room.

Dragon walked back the the front hall of the old temple. There the ceiling had long fallen in and left the sky open to view. She lay on a large stone she had fashioned as a bed with soft moss and cuts in the stone. She lay on her back and stared at the stars, muttering to herself the names and stories of each star-lined picture in view. Her hair lay everywhere and her wings were draped over the sides, leaving every inch of her skin open to the pale moonlight and bright star shine. She muttered disjointedly about ancient star stories, wishes and plans of murder, and the unpleasantness of her imprisonment as she slowly slipped into sleep.



© 2009 Burr the Story Sorceress


Author's Note

Burr the Story Sorceress
This will be changed when we decide on a process for our story, but I hope you enjoy this teaser.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked it! Dragon sounds so kewl. A lot like someone I know. Keep writing [: I want to read more.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
1 Review
Added on April 13, 2009
Last Updated on May 16, 2009


Author

Burr the Story Sorceress
Burr the Story Sorceress

A Really Cold Place, OH



About
I am a kinda loud person who is very blunt. I tend to talk before I think. I go with the flow, most of the time. When I get excited, my stutter comes back with a vengence. I do the best I can and that.. more..

Writing