Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Burr the Story Sorceress

Marlin paced in front of the cathedral. Cronis was late and she did not tolerate such behavior. If she wasn't eager for the challenge of stealing the pendent she would have left after five minutes of waiting. After forty-seven minutes she was ready to leave, challenge be damned. Another three minutes and she was gone.


She had even dressed up for the meeting. She wore a knee-length, spaghetti-strap dress the same gray-green as her eyes and black high heels. Her dark hair was piled on top of her head and curled tendrils falling around her head. She even had on blush, mascara, and lipstick. She didn't normally dress up, but there are some impulses a girl can't deny.


She'd be a damned dog if her efforts went unnoticed.

When Cronis' last three minutes were up, Marlin glared at the large building behind her and turned to leave.


“You're date didn't show?”


She spun and saw a man not much older than her own twenty-two years. He was a Lunamen with pale skin and long, blue-black hair. His eyes were dark and deep and, at the moment, sparkling. His slacks were black and his dress shirt white. A smile curved his well-shaped lips as he closed the distance between them and stood before her.


What stunned Marlin the most was that she was instantly attracted to him. As soon as her eyes fell on him she felt herself being drawn to him. It knocked the breath from her lungs and left her speechless and struggling to control herself.

That never happened. Ever.


“He must be an idiot to stand a pretty kitty like you up,” he said with a smile. “It would be such a shame for you to go home now. You would have wasted a lot of time.” He winked at her.


She blinked in surprise. He was actually hitting on her. He had no idea who she was and he was hitting on her. That struck Marlin as very, very odd and she wondered if Cornis had sent a lackey to do his bargaining.


“I wasn't meeting a date,” she said. The lie she gave him was quick as a flash and smooth as butter. “My best friend's great-uncle is in town for a while. She's busy at work and asked me to show him around a bit for her. Have you seen a wealthy, old day-cat around here this afternoon?”


“No, I haven't,” he replied after a moment of thought. “I haven't seen any Solarains over the age of thirty all day.”


“Do you know a Garieson Cornis? He's the great-uncle I was asked to show around.” She smiled at her cleverness. Cornis did have a great niece that lived in the city and she did know her. Visiting her was the old cat's cover.


“I know Garieson Cornis, but I didn't know he was in the city.” The tall night-cat smiled at her. “He probably forgot all about meeting you here. He's scatter brained like must day-cats.”

Marlin sighed. “It appears that way.”


“Why don't you have lunch with me,” he asked. “It would be a waste to not go out when you're already dressed up.” He gave a little bow. “It would be an honor to escort you.”


Something shiny slipped from under his shirt when he bowed. When he straightened she moved closer and took the pendent in her hands and examined it. Hanging from a fine silver chain was a silver crescent moon with a black onyx, emerald eyed cat perched on it. It was the pendent Cornis wanted her to steal.

It was a beautiful piece. It sparkled and glittered in the sunlight. Her breath caught in admiration.


Marlin had an idea.


“I'll go to lunch with you,” she said as she released the pendent and took a step back, “if you tell me your name and about that wonderful piece of art.”


“My name is Jason Nightclaw,” he said. “What is your name, pretty kitty?”


She smiled. “Marlin Muse. It is an honor to meet you, Lord Nightclaw.” She curtsied.


“The pleasure is all mine,” he said with a crooked smile. “You like the pendent?”


“Very much. It is a splendid piece, truly perfect workmanship and worth a fortune or maybe even priceless, if my guess is correct.”


“You are an appraiser?” he asked as he offered his arm.


“Yes. Freelance appraisal.” Marlin's honest work was done for museums, auction houses, and the wealthy, judging the worth of every sort of item imaginable. A handy talent for a master thief. “I don't belong to any one appraisal company. I never was a fan of the restrictions.”


“I'd thought I'd heard your name before.” He led her down the street to an expensive and famous restaurant. “I've a friend in the appraisal business and you have caused him a great deal of heartache. He claims you are purposefully stealing his business.”


“I'd believe that would be Tyler Morson, head of Morson Appraisals.” She giggled. “I can't help it if I'm better than his employees. He's trying to get me on his payroll.”


“Doesn't surprise me,” Jason laughed as he entered the restaurant. He turned to the host and smiled. “Hi, Michal, how are you?”


“Ah, Lord Jason!” The thin, tan man with blond hair looked surprised. “What a pleasant surprise! You look well!” His blue eyes settled on Marlin. “And with a beautiful lady on your arm! I shouldn't be surprised!”


“Michal, this is Lady Marlin. Marlin, this is Michal, my favorite host.” His smile was crooked and mischievous.


“My pleasure, milady, truly a pleasure,” he said as he bowed low. He picked up two menus and straightened. “I have the perfect table for the two of you. If you'll follow me, please.”


As they followed the human to a table in the back, hidden out of sight from the rest of the restaurant Marlin said softly, “I'm not a lady. Why did you tell him I was?”


Jason's smile was mischievous again. “Because you are a lady. You're just not royalty, if my guess is right. And,” he leaned in close and whispered in her ear, “he doesn't know that. He'll spread the word that I was here with a stunning night-cat lady. Now the press won't hound you night and day.”


“How clever,” she whispered breathlessly. His mouth so close to her ear sent warmth and shivers down her spine. She hoped he didn't notice her reaction to him.


As they sat across from each other she saw his wide grin. He'd noticed.


How embarrassing. The most deadly and renowned thief was shivering because of words whispered in her ear. It was going to be a long lunch.



© 2010 Burr the Story Sorceress


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on March 12, 2010
Last Updated on March 23, 2010


Author

Burr the Story Sorceress
Burr the Story Sorceress

A Really Cold Place, OH



About
I am a kinda loud person who is very blunt. I tend to talk before I think. I go with the flow, most of the time. When I get excited, my stutter comes back with a vengence. I do the best I can and that.. more..

Writing