Chapter One: Impulse

Chapter One: Impulse

A Chapter by The Butterfly Writer

People often say that dreams mean nothing. That they are just what they are, or they are just electrical impulses firing off in your brain, and that what happens in them isn't significant. But what if one could harness the power of one's dreams, and make that energy, those impulses, something that could walk beside you? Something that would protect you?

* * *

"Just focus on your breathing, Lilin," The Mother said, "Feel the energy of your dream fill your mind and body and invision it gathering and creating life in front of you."

I had been trying this for five months now and I was still far away from creating any sort of being from the "energy of my dreams." It was hard being the only daughter in a family of Dreamers and being the only one unable to conjure my Espir. Both of my bothers, Keian and Nako both were able to conjure theirs within their first couple months. Then it was just bond building. But I was having trouble with what should have been the easiest thing for me to do.

Nonetheless, I kept up with my breathing and visions of my dreams and centering their energies. On my next exhale I actually did start to feel some energy gathering in front of me, and it took a vague, slender shape, I had been at this for hours now and I was finally making some real progress. That was soon to be ruined to though.

The heavy oaken doors of the hall swung open and my idiot brother, Nako, came bursting through chasing after his Espir, a mountain cat named Alomir. I tried to keep my focus on the energy gathering in front of me, but it was hard to ignore my brothers shouts.

"You crazy cat! Get back here!" He called.

Then he ran straight through my energy pool, and my focus was lost.

"Nako!" I screamed across the vast space in the hall, "You ridiculous fool! I almost had it this time!"

Nako stopped dead in his tracks and so did Alomir. I let myself calm down and sank to the floor, I was exhausted.

"Sorry little sis'." He said when he caught up to me, "Alomir..."

"I don't care, Nako," I said, and part of me meant it too, "I was so close to bringing my Espir here. I could actually feel it starting to take form."

Nako dropped his head in unison with Alomir. I could tell he felt bad. He was a good brother, and he knew how long I had been trying for, but sometimes he just did really stupid things. 

"I'm going to leave," I said, gathering a few of my things, "I'm gonna go find Keian and Aethil."

With that I left him in the hall. 

Outside on the stone steps, I could feel an easy breeze blowing and it carried what felt to me like a kind of encouragement. A kind of urging. I turned into it and let the cool air blow my hair back and away from my face. I remembered what Keian had always told me when I was younger, that you could know someone was coming by the pattern of the wind. It sounded silly, but in a way, he was right. If the people were talking then it was possible their voice could be carried on the wind and you could hear them from a distance. That was what I did as I sat on the steps, I was hoping he or Aethil or both of them would be on there way right now and I would be able to know it.

And sure enough, a little over ten minutes later, I heard the all-too-familiar sound of my brother's voice. I couldn't tell, but he must have been playing with his companion, Myrren, who was a beautiful, pure white panther. A symbol of grace, and eloquence, as the Mother had once called it. 

"Keian!" I called, unsure he would hear me. 

Shortly after, Myrren ran up and tackled me, playfully; so I didn't get hurt form the stone steps even though it wasn't intentional. 

"Hey, Myrrs." I giggled as the cat licked my face, chin-to-forehead. 

That was the nickname that Keian, myself, and Aethil called Keian's Espir. Myrren was a good Companion. She had been with Keian a long time too. Keian had been able to conjure her within his first month, a family record. 

"Easy, girl." My brother's voice brought the cat back to ease by his side.

I eased myself back to standing and brushed off my skirt. Myrren pouncing on me always seemed to take a lot out of me. She was one of the best Companions I knew, and I honestly knew quite a few. Normally, one could only see one's own Espir, and those of their family. I, however, could also see those of my friends. 

"So, Aethil on his way?" Keian asked me. 

"He's supposed to be." I said, looking around, hoping to find some sign of him being nearby.

I got one.

Aethil's Espir, a rather rambunctious otter named Rinille, hopped up onto Myrren and rode her for a few brief moments before Aethil showed up and provided a hiding perch from the cat.

"Hi, Myrrs." Aethil greeted my brother's cat. 

The cat growled an indifferent greeting toward him; Myrren was clearly still annoyed with the otter, who was taunting the big cat from atop it's partner's head.

"Hey Lilin," Aethil greeted me happily. "These two, huh?"

"Yeah," I said, trying not to laugh awkwardly. Aethil always made me lose my head a little bit.

"Well, I actually have somewhere I kind of need to be." Keian suddenly said.

"Oh, okay. I'll see you at home then."

"Yup. Have fun. Keep an eye on that otter, Aethil."

"No worries." Aethil answered matter-of-factly.

Keian walked away and disappeared around a corner, Myrren reluctantly following at his side.

"So..." Aethil pressed. He wanted to know how it went with The Mother, that much I knew. I wasn't exactly up for telling him about yet another failure though.

"Well... there was something, this time." I said sheepishly.

" 'Something'? What's that mean?"

"Well, you know... Something. There started to be something there. Slender, and small, about Rinille's size--"

"Another otter?" Rinille piped up at the prospect of having a friend.

"No, I don't think so." I admitted. It would have been nice to have the same type of Espir as Aethil. "I think it was more... grounded."

"Well, we'll see next time. I'm sure of it." Aethil encouraged. He was always good for that at least.

The three of us (or rather Aethil and I, since Rinille mostly stayed on Aethil's shoulder), continued to walk around our small city and Aethil continually made guesses as to what kind of animal my Espir could be. Some of his thoughts I liked: a constrictor snake, a flying squirrel, an otter (which got Rinille excited again). Others were odd, but I already had a strong feeling what it would be; I kept that to myself though. I wanted him to be surprised when he saw my new partner. 

"Well, whatever it is, it will be as unique as you." 

I smiled, and felt my cheeks redden with his compliment.  

  



© 2013 The Butterfly Writer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hmm... This was interesting I don't usually read anything this long.


I do more short stories and poetry :)



But I really Enjoyed this lovely piece and I do like the
Dream theme thank you for sharing this piece.




I loved these Stanza's lines here.


People often say that dreams mean nothing. That they are just what they are, or they are just electrical impulses firing off in your brain, and that what happens in them isn't significant. But what if one could harness the power of one's dreams, and make that energy, those impulses, something that could walk beside you? Something that would protect you?



Well, whatever it is, it will be as unique as you."

I smiled, and felt my cheeks redden with his compliment.


When I can I will read more of your dream Chapter Nicely written BRAVO!

Blessings. kindred poet



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Butterfly Writer

9 Years Ago

This is possibly the nicest review I've recieved on this site so far. Thank you so much. I've been i.. read more
Benita-Staebell M - KindredPoet

9 Years Ago

Well I am Glad that I look at your Story I loved your Name The Butterfly Writer so I thought
y.. read more



Reviews

Hmm... This was interesting I don't usually read anything this long.


I do more short stories and poetry :)



But I really Enjoyed this lovely piece and I do like the
Dream theme thank you for sharing this piece.




I loved these Stanza's lines here.


People often say that dreams mean nothing. That they are just what they are, or they are just electrical impulses firing off in your brain, and that what happens in them isn't significant. But what if one could harness the power of one's dreams, and make that energy, those impulses, something that could walk beside you? Something that would protect you?



Well, whatever it is, it will be as unique as you."

I smiled, and felt my cheeks redden with his compliment.


When I can I will read more of your dream Chapter Nicely written BRAVO!

Blessings. kindred poet



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Butterfly Writer

9 Years Ago

This is possibly the nicest review I've recieved on this site so far. Thank you so much. I've been i.. read more
Benita-Staebell M - KindredPoet

9 Years Ago

Well I am Glad that I look at your Story I loved your Name The Butterfly Writer so I thought
y.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 19, 2013
Last Updated on September 26, 2013
Tags: The Butterfly Writer


Author

The Butterfly Writer
The Butterfly Writer

Fayetteville, AR



About
Well, I've done NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month for those who are unfamiliar), once so far and I plan to continue to do it. I also have a Wattpad account with more of my work on it but I'm loo.. more..

Writing