Broken Lances

Broken Lances

A Chapter by C. Anderson Publishing

The Guild’s victories over their numerous enemies can be explained in one name: Umbra. Many cite the courage of his Broken Lances, and they do deserve credit, but dogs are only as brave as their alpha.

History of the Guilds

       By Elder Lighours

 

 

The early morning air was cool, and the ground was covered in thick dew. The first colors of the sunrise were barely visible past the horizon. The rhythmic trot of tens of thousands of men turned the road to a river of mud. Stephen drank the last of his horn of wine and rode up past the marching column.

Line after line of black-cloaked fighters filled the scene. At the head of the column was Raven, covered in mud and dirt like everyone else. Stephen approached her and chuckled to himself. Her head was nearly in her lap as she rode. Stephen reached out and touched her shoulder. Her head jumped up as she awoke.

“You know it is dangerous to sleep while riding. You could fall and break something.”

“I didn’t even know I was sleeping,” Raven yawned.

“How many hours did you rest last night?”

“The same as everyone else. four hours, or so.”

“My lady, you do not need to stay up with the men to pitch camp and post guards. Once we stop, you can lay down your mat and go to bed. In fact, we would prefer you do.”

“I know, but I feel terrible sleeping when no one else is. I must admit, I never knew a march was so tiring.”

“This is a forced march. Not all marches are like this. We are trying to cover a lot of ground quickly, and we are not concerned about luxuries such as sleep.”

“Or cooked food, or clean clothes,” Raven added.

“The mud suits you, my lady,” Stephen laughed.

“Mud seems to be the true uniform of a soldier.”

“Yes, and soon we will add the final ingredient.”

“What is that?” Raven asked.

“Blood, my lady, lots and lots of blood.”

Raven shook her head in disgust. “I don’t think I would be a good soldier,” she sighed.

 

“I respectfully disagree, my lady. I believe you would make a fine soldier. Anyone who would choose to march in this horrible place for two weeks, because they felt they should, would be a great soldier. I have no doubt you will one day lead men to war with great success.”

Raven laughed.

“When I was growing up in the Council Manor, I used to pride myself on not being soft like the other children. I was always willing to get dirty and bruised. Now all I want is a bath and a pillow.”

“I suppose you will be asking for clean clothes and fresh bread after that.”

“Don’t taunt,” Raven pleaded.

Stephen shifted in his saddle. “What is Mesmer city like?” he asked. “I have heard all kinds of stories about the last free city, but I don’t believe them.”

“Why? What have you heard?”

“I heard there is magic everywhere, like in the times before the angels left, yet you have no gods. I heard you have no lords, or knights, and that all people have equal say.”

“Is that all?”

Stephen shrugs. “They also say you can have three w****s for two coppers.” 

“Is that all?” she asked with a shy giggle. Stephen shook his head and bit his lower lip.

“They also say it is very beautiful.”

“It is a beautiful city,” she agreed.

“I hope to see it someday.” Stephen lifted up his wine horn only to remember it is empty. Raven, amused, gave him her wine sack. He took it with a smile and drew a long drink.

“Castle Pearl is only a few days away,” Raven stated. “Why have you not visited?”

“My duties don’t allow me much time for leisure, and my travels are always official.”

“Well, when I return home, I will send you an official summons. Then you can visit me officially.”

“I’m charmed, my lady, but what would be your official reason?”

“I am the daughter of Miss Edoweyhn, Mayor of Mesmer City. I will think of something,” Raven smirked.

“I would like that,” Stephen admitted.

“Then it is settled. I will show you the market; oh, you must see the silk lane. There are artists there who will weave your likeness into a silk canvas. And food from all the world on every corner. It is an amazing thing to see.”

“Then I look forward to it.”

The sun broke the horizon and filled the plains with light. Smoke from a hundred campfires rose into the sky. Stephen peered at them with a sober look on his face.

“What is that?” Raven asked following his gaze.

“Stay here,” Stephen commanded, riding ahead of the marching army.

At the top of the ridge, he saw the source of the pillars of smoke. Thousands of orc camps covered the hills. Drums began to beat in one part of the camp, soon spreading to the entire horde. Stephen’s horse jerked under him, startled by the noise. Umbra rode up behind him.

“How many would you say there are?” Umbra asked.

“Well over thirty thousand, my lord Baron.”

“Almost double what I feared,” Umbra lamented.

“How did the scouts miss this?” Stephen asked.

“They didn’t. I gave the Guild King their report three days ago.”

“And the Guild King marched on anyway?”

“He seeks a decisive victory. Destroying such a horde will take the fight out of the orcs. Every orc hunter who would oppose us is here. After today there will be none to stop us.”

“And what if they destroy us? Does the Guild King think his army invincible? Or has he come to believe his own legend?”

“The Guild King trusts his soldiers to do their duty and depends on the Broken Lances to earn their reputation. We are his vanguard.”

“He depends too much on us,” Stephen protested. “We are hard men, yes, but still just men.”

“We are not just men,” Umbra snapped in anger at Stephen. “We became more than mere men when we charged the ramparts at Tilton. We became more than men during the bitter winter in Longlast. We became more than men when we held the stone bridge against the Horsespear men. We are the Broken Lances, and the mood of the army is set on us. I will hear no talk of defeat from any wearing the black cloak, especially from my second in command.” Stephen regretted his bluntness and bit his tongue.

Several battle horns sounded across the various guilds. The columns of men sped to a double quick. The lines began to form, and the rear elements halted.

“This will be a bloody battle,” Stephen stated.

“Yes, yes it will be. And we will lead the charge, as we always have. Glory will be for the Guild King, and our souls for the Divines.”



© 2013 C. Anderson Publishing


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
Added on July 17, 2013
Last Updated on July 17, 2013


Author

C. Anderson Publishing
C. Anderson Publishing

About
Marketing head at C. Anderson Publishing photography as a hobby. writing as a life. =) more..

Writing