Mississippi Blues

Mississippi Blues

A Story by Chris C.
"

Pieces of Mississippi

"

She's sitting there on the stone steps with her coffee and cigarette, as morning dawns all around her. Here I come walking up the street in the cold, nothing better to do but walk and think. It's been a sleepless night and I can't stand to simply stay still and fret anymore. From this distance I can see the blank stare and the bleary eyes of a hangover. A strong breeze whips leaves into a frenzy around my feet and I pull my jacket a little closer. I'm drawing nearer now and I see her flick a strand of auburn hair back from her face and take a drag. Smoke drifts lazily from between her lips and lends an acrid tang to the foggy gray morning. She's wearing a baggy black shirt, a ragged pair of jeans, and the weight of the world. Sip. Drag. Exhale. I'm closer now, close enough to smell coffee and cigarettes mingling, close enough to taste the disconnect. I see the lines on her face and the chipped paint on her toenails. Sip. Drag. Exhale. As I pass by, under the shadowed canopy of magnolia trees, I try to catch her eye with a smile. I try to convey in seconds, with a look, that I understand. I too have battled the loneliness of the morning after. The Mississippi Blues. For a moment, it's just the two of us on this empty sleeping street. But she doesn't look up. I keep walking, kicking leaves down the jagged sidewalk, lost in my own thoughts once more.

© 2013 Chris C.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
Added on May 12, 2013
Last Updated on May 12, 2013
Tags: morning blues

Author

Chris C.
Chris C.

Portland, OR



Writing
Last Planet Last Planet

A Poem by Chris C.


Bus Bus

A Poem by Chris C.