Chapter 1: Prologue−A Hero is Born

Chapter 1: Prologue−A Hero is Born

A Chapter by Flash
"

The great adventure begins for the small and frightened Xavier Thomas

"

(Planet Earth)


Earth is a planet that is filled with life. Its people, creatures and plants are all in high abundance. They have changed over the years, but this change has been natural.


As time moves on, people of Earth have found ways to improve living conditions. Some also say that life on Earth has evolved over time.


While this may be true, compared to life on other planets, the Earth is still fairly behind. The biggest difference is their level of energy and control.


This will be explained further down the line.


For now the focus will go to a certain location on Earth.


This location is in the northern region of the eastern hemisphere. And it is one of the largest cities in the world. It is officially called Everest City.


However, Everest City is more commonly known and referred to as North City.


There are three other large cities on the eastern hemisphere as well. They are Ranger City (in the south), Coastal City (in the west) and Trail City (in the east).


Like Everest City, they are also more widely known by their more basic names: South City, West City and East City.


North City is known to be the highest producer of talent out of all the four large cities of the eastern hemisphere. This is due mainly to their higher population. There are many successful people to emerge from North City that have become famous and successful. They are frequently involved with actions such as donations and other generous activities. These men and women have helped create positivity and a strong impact in North City. To the citizens of North City, these people are called ‘home-town heroes’.


However, North City is not the only place that needs help. It is only a portion of the entire eastern hemisphere. And in the grand scheme of things, the eastern hemisphere is just a small portion of the the world.


There are always going to be new challenges. And they never get easier.


This is why the people who emerge from North City  are not just responsible for helping their home of North City. They are also responsible for the rest of the eastern hemisphere.


And even the whole world.


They must not settle for being ‘home-town heroes’ and must try to just be heroes. And as long as there is no peace, no person should be satisfied with things.


And anybody who decides to help bring about peace becomes a hero.


Now the focus will turn to a young man that learns this lesson the hard way.


A boy from North City will begin an adventure that most kids his age could not even dream about.


However, just because you do not choose your own path, does not mean that a path cannot choose you. And if it does, be ready…


(North City)


Xavier Thomas gets out of his bed and runs to his mirror. He looks at himself with curiosity.


He was now 5 years old and he wanted to see if he was any different than yesterday.


His face was the same. His dark brown skin and his brown eyes were unchanged. And he was not taller than he was yesterday.


He is nonetheless extremely excited and ran down the staircase with high energy. He can hardly contain himself.


He encounters his mother and father waiting for him downstairs.


“Happy birthday, Xavier!” his parents say.


Xavier looks up at them and says,


“Mama! Daddy! I’m so happy!”


His mother bent down and hugged Xavier. She had dark hair and brown eyes like Xavier, but her skin was a little bit lighter.


She smiles and says,


“I can tell! You can’t wait to go to the basketball game later, can’t you?”


Xavier’s parents had taken time off from work for the day to take him to see the North City Dragons. They were his favorite basketball team.


“Try not to get too excited yet, Son,” Mr. Thomas said with a smile. “Remember you still have to go to school first.”


Xavier’s father had a cleanly shaved head. His dark brown skin just like his son’s and he wore thick glasses.


Like most boys his age, Xavier was completely ecstatic to see the team in action.


But what he was  maybe most excited about was the chance to see the team captain, Mark Lee, in person.


Mark Lee is a North City native. Therefore he has the rare privilege to play professionally for his hometown. He took full advantage of this by always helping out and being around the community as often as he could. Even when the team struggled, Mark Lee could always be found doing good around North City.


Xavier enjoyed listening to Mark Lee’s interviews on television. He also loved the way Mark Lee always remained calm during every challenge the Dragons faced, no matter how difficult. He never gave up and he always stood up for his teammates.


Basically, Mark Lee has been Xavier’s hero for as long as he could remember.


Xavier respected him so much that he would always proudly tell his parents,


“When I grow up, I want to be a hero too!”


He had no idea that day was coming soon.


After giving Xavier his gifts, Mrs. Thomas pointed to the kitchen.


“Hurry up and eat your breakfast, Xavier,” Mrs. Thomas said. “You’ll be late for school.”


Xavier replied,


“I don’t want to go to school today! Can I stay here until we go to the game?”


Mr. Thomas shook his head


“No way, Son,” he told Xavier. “That wasn’t part of the deal, remember?”


Xavier then said,


“But it’s my birthday! Why not?”


“Because no matter what day it is you still have to do what your parents say,” Mrs. Thomas said.


After he ate, Xavier ran to the car and went to school with his father.


“Have a good day, Son,” Mr. Thomas said. “Behave yourself.”


“I still want to stay home,” Xavier said with a sour look.


“Well that’s not happening,” Mr. Thomas said. “Unless you want to stay at home all day and miss the game.”


Xavier sighed and left the car.


“It’s MY birthday,” Xavier said to himself as he walked to school. “It’s supposed to be whatever I want!”


That afternoon after school, Xavier ran to his father’s car, where his parents were waiting.


They all drove to the game.


As expected, it was very crowded. But Mr. Thomas had purchased excellent seats for his family. The number of people was not an issue.


The team was introduced one by one.


As the end of the introduction was approaching, there was a brief pause.


The announcer then spoke out,


“And finally…Starting at guard…From right here in North City! HE is the captain! MAAAAARRRRRK LEEEEEEEEEEEE!!”


Mark Lee ran onto the court waving to the fans and saluting his teammates.


Xavier watched in amazement as the crowd rose to its feet to applaud Mark Lee.


One man in the crowd yelled out,


“The hometown hero!”


Xavier was a little bit stunned. This happened all the time on television. But being able to experience the crowd’s reaction in person was incredible.


“They really love him here, don’t they?” Mrs. Thomas said.


She spoke with a strange tone in her voice and her eyes had become a little bit red.


Mr. Thomas smiled and responded,


“Yeah, they do. And with all the good things he does for the community, he deserves it. It doesn’t hurt that he’s so talented either.”


“He’s awesome!” Xavier said.


The game began and got underway. The family watched the game until an interruption started,


“Aaaa-choo!” Mrs. Thomas sneezed loudly. “Aaaa-choo!”


Again she sneezed with her eyes red.


“You don’t sound too well, Babe,” Mr. Thomas said looking a little worried.


“Are you sick, Mamma?” Xavier asked looking disappointed.


He did not want anything to distract him from the game.


“I've been feeling a little dizzy for a couple of hours now. But now it's really bad. I think I may have to go home and rest,” Mrs. Thomas said with little power in her voice.


Xavier was upset. He did not want to leave the game so early and he tried to act like he wasn't paying attention to his mother.


Mr. Thomas looked at his son and told him,


“It looks like we’re going to have to leave early, Son. Your mom is way too sick to be out here.”


“But the game just started, Daddy! We can’t leave now!” Xavier cried angrily.


Mr. Thomas got more stern,


“Xavier, I don’t want to leave either. But do you really want to stay while your mom is not well? You should be more understanding.”


“But it’s my birthday!” Xavier said.


Xavier would not cooperate. He was bent on seeing this game and watching his hero, Mark Lee play and lead the team.


Before Mr. Thomas could respond, his wife spoke out,


“Don’t worry about me, you two!” Mrs. Thomas said with a cough. “I’ll be alright. Let’s just watch the game. OK, Xavier?”


Xavier felt like a load had been lifted from his shoulders. He reached into his backpack and pulled out one of the snacks his mother packed for him. He then calmed down and watched the game.  


When the game finally ended it was close to ‘11:00’.


Xavier was so energized that the game didn't even feel like the normal three hours. He had just witnessed his beloved Dragons win and he saw Mark Lee point at him from the court and shout out the words, 'Stay strong, little man!' as he ran back to the locker room with his teammates.


It was like Xavier was living a dream.


He was so happy that he did not realize that his mother had not gotten any better throughout the game.


On the contrary, she had gotten much worse.


Mr. Thomas felt his wife’s forehead and noticed that she had a high fever and that a trip to the hospital was in order.


When they got in the car Xavier asked his mother,


“Are you feeling better, Mamma?”


“Yeah. Much better,” she answered.


Xavier then quickly fell asleep in the car.


Mrs. Thomas looked at her sleeping son and smiled.


She felt no better. But she did not want Xavier to feel any guilt for making them stay at the game. She wanted him to have a happy birthday more than anything.


Mr. Thomas was now driving very fast down the road to Lincoln Hospital.


It was then that the family faced the moment that changed everything forever.


As the car was moving there was a loud BANG on the back bumper.


“What in the world?!” cried Mr. Thomas as he tried to control the car.


He was able to stop the vehicle but it was still sent roadside and could no longer move.


Xavier, now wide awake, asked his father,


“What was that, Daddy?”


His father told him to sit still while he went to check the damage.


Mrs. Thomas, still very sick, stayed with Xavier and waited for her husband to return.


They heard a voice,


“TELL EVERYBODY IN THE CAR TO GET OUT NOW!” The voice yelled. “I WON’T ASK TWICE!”


Xavier and his mother were very startled at this new voice.


As Mr. Thomas came back their fears rose.


“Babe, I need you to come out of the car with me,” Mr. Thomas said. “Xavier, you stay here and don’t move a muscle."


“What is going on?” Mrs. Thomas asked with fear.


“It’s that man from the news…” Mr. Thomas replied quietly. “The Striker,”


Xavier leaped in his seat.


The Striker was a well-known criminal throughout North City and Xavier had seen him on television numerous times. The kids at school and all around the city always talked about him.


His parents went out to confront the man.


Xavier couldn't help but stick his head up just a little bit to get the slightest glimpse to the assailant.


It turns out he went too far up...


“I saw a kid in there!! The Striker cried. “Get him out here too or I’ll go get him out myself!!”


Mrs. Thomas tried begging but the Striker had already started walking towards the car, so she went to get her son herself.


“Xavier stay with me and don’t say anything to him,” she whispered to Xavier.


The Striker was a fairly tall man with dark black hair and pale skin.


He was a trained fighter with significant energy, much higher than others in North City. He has been able to continue his crimes without being stopped by the authorities. When reinforcements started coming, he simply fled at very high speed without being able to be caught.


Many thought he was ‘super-human.’


“So here is what we’ll do,” the Striker said. “I will leave you folks alone if I receive cash over one thousand. If you A) refuse, B) tell me you don’t have that much money, or C) try to escape, I will take your child away and hold him until I get the money.”


Mr. Thomas looked at his wife. They did not have that much money on them so there was no way they could pay the madman right then.


Mr. Thomas thought for several moments.


What was he going to do?


He looked at his wife, who looked back at him. They then both looked at their young son sadly. He then nodded his head at his wife.


She nodded back, knowing exactly what he was thinking.


They both knew that they had to protect Xavier no matter what.


He then looked at his terrified young son, who was crying.


“I have to get the money out of the car, if you’ll allow me,” Mr. Thomas said to the Striker.


The Striker looked at him and said,


“Go ahead then. But I’m watching…”


Mr. Thomas slowly walked towards the car. As he passed his wife and son he said,


“Xavier, listen carefully, understand? When I come out of that car, and pass by you again, you must run full speed away from this place and hide!”


Xavier was shocked.


“But Daddy...What will happen?” he asked.


“Don’t worry about me! Just do what I say!” his father said angrily. “And if you don’t then I'll give you over to the Striker.”


Xavier was shocked and confused. His mind started racing.


Did he do something wrong? Would his own father actually give him to away to somebody like that?


His mother bent down and hugged Xavier tightly, saying,


“Xavier, do what your dad says and do not look back, OK?”


More tears began to fly down Xavier’s face.


“You’re not coming with me, Mamma?” he asked his mother.


Mrs. Thomas coughed, as she had been doing all night.


“No, Baby, I have to help your father. You’re our biggest priority,” she said.


Like most 5 year olds, he cried. But he was scared that his father would give him away, so he agreed to the plan anyway.


When he got out of the car Mr. Thomas walked back to the Striker, pretending to be carrying money. He looked at his son one more time and was doing his best not to cry himself. But he had to look serious or his son would lose confidence.


When Mr. Thomas passed Xavier he began to run towards the Striker, and shouted,


“GO NOW!!”


Mr. Thomas charged right at the Striker without thinking of himself at all. His wife followed him and they both did all they could to keep the man away from their son.


The Striker was amused and started laughing.


Xavier immediately ran.


He felt awful at the fact that he was leaving his parents. He wanted to go back but he kept on hearing his father’s threat over and over again in his head.


With all of his shock and fear, he did not even realize that this could be the last time he saw his parents.


News of the event spread throughout the city.


Many thought that Xavier had died that night with his parents. Even his relatives had no idea of his whereabouts.


One week later, Xavier was discovered  in a street corner by a man he hadn't seen before. He got scared and reached for the stick that he had been using to fight off stray animals.


“Relax, Young Man,” the man said calmly.


Xavier did not listen and ran away thinking that he was facing yet another criminal. As he was running, the strange man was stunningly already right in front of him. Xavier was shocked at what had just happened.


The man smiled lightly and asked the young boy what he was doing here and where his mother was.


Xavier began to shed tears, but seeing that he could not escape, he shared his story with the stranger...


The man sighed heavily when he had heard Xavier's story,


“This world’s lack of peace is causing pain far too often...” he said quietly.


Xavier did not really know what he was talking about but he could tell that this man was not going to harm him.


“Who are you?” Xavier asked.


The man looked like he was in his thirties. He was wearing thick sunglasses.


He looked at the boy seriously before finally answering,


“I am Raymond Fox.”


Xavier was shocked.


He had heard of a Raymond Fox around town from the older boys. But never once did he think he would see him.


“You’re supposed to be the strongest fighter in the world! What are you doing here?” Xavier asked.


Raymond answered,


“You see, I was born in North City. I come back to visit every now and then to see how it’s changed…You however cannot be left here on your own. How have you been feeding yourself?”


Xavier’s stomach growled just at the mention of food.


“I’ve been eating the snacks my mom packed for me. I only eat a little bit so I don't finish it, but I’m so hungry that my stomach hurts!” Xavier said with sadness.


Raymond looked concerned and thought hard for a moment.


He could just drop the boy off at a hospital or something along those lines, but the publicity he would then receive was not something he was looking forward to...


“Then come with me if you don’t want to die out here.”


As he spoke he began walking away.


Xavier, who was starving, ran after him while shouting,


“Hey! Wait for me, Sir!!”



© 2016 Flash


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on July 24, 2016
Last Updated on July 24, 2016
Tags: hero, combat, martial arts, action, science fiction