Freefall

Freefall

A Story by Callisto
"

A short one this time. It was based on a dream I had, unfortunately I couldn't remember exactly how we ended up in the situation above. Finally, ask yourself this... Did she jump? Or did he push her?

"

She fell into the cloudy gray layer below. A speck to him, she may as well have been a molecule among billions. He watched helpless, a fruitless arm extended as if to catch. His fingers clutching the thin cold air.
"Hands behind your head!" a commanding voice called out
He didn’t have to look to know the security had followed him onto the roof.
Heavy footfalls, like raining bricks and his face hit the deck, warm blood escaping through his nose only to be trapped in the etched lines in the deck's surface.
"Dispose of him and find the girl"
He grunted as the heavy boot encapsulated down the cylindrical side of the airship. He fell over once, face scraping the metal plating, boot toes clunking like out of sync gears. Then free fall. He faced down the same cloudy soup that swallowed her not a minute before. Surely there was countless miles of hard unforgiving earth on the other side, but the clouds promised something else for the damned. His heart already stopped, living with the immediate future, he wasn’t sure if he was still breathing. Suddenly it was freezing as his solid form collected water through the cloud layer. It was just like fog, for all he knew any second now he might come to rest on the grassy surface. But the dream ended as it began as he came to terms with joining the rain on their great descent. It would be an honor to be part of the process that regulated the planet. His and her body would never be found, sucked into the muddy desert. Perhaps one day when the last man is dead and forgotten, a new sentient species would be digging up his bones, pondering heavily his life, the life he considered ordinary. A species with a hand like his, with the spirit and the intelligence to seek the past. Maybe millennia from that moment lay his grave in the same fashion. It came swift, unlike his descent, as the world continued nonchalantly about its day.

© 2009 Callisto


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

And again, I'm just going to say great job and move on to something else.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I enjoyed this read, you describe the feelings involved in letting go of someone you love, very well. I think this sentence, sums up, why, where, when and how, you just don't give a FFFFF what happens.

His heart already stopped, living with the immediate future, he wasn’t sure if he was still breathing.

Dreams are amazing material for writing, I do agree.

Smiling at you

Tai

Posted 14 Years Ago


"the heavy boot encapsulated down the cylindrical side of the airship"
I'm not sure that encapsulated is not the best word to use here

"not a minuet before."
check spelling

I like this little story-thing. there is room to expand upon it, though conversely it is certainly fine as is.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on October 5, 2009
Last Updated on October 12, 2009

Author

Callisto
Callisto

NC



About
I am Callisto and I love life! more..

Writing
The End? The End?

A Poem by Callisto


The Last Rain The Last Rain

A Story by Callisto


Breeze Breeze

A Poem by Callisto