A Dinner with Strangers

A Dinner with Strangers

A Story by CalvinnTay
"

It was a dinner I will never forget and I would love to have again.

"
I had just finished my last class and had to get some shopping done so I went to a nearby mall. After I finished shopping, it was around 5 p.m. I decided to have an early dinner before I head back to my apartment which was a bus journey away. So I had McDonald's.
The McDonald's I went to was packed. I was lucky enough to find myself a seat. I saw the most strangest thing ever to me when I was having my dinner. A man with a luggage was eating his meal while standing. I thought to myself, "How odd..." I looked around and found that every table was occupied with at least one person. Now, I had some free seats, but I didn't approach him immediately. I was thinking of how funny it was to see the man eat like that. "Why don't you just ask for a seat?" I thought to myself. I was fascinated by his hesitance to ask for a seat. I stared at him and when we made eye contact, I stood up and gestured to the empty seats with a smile.

The man was shy. He thanked me and sat down. I gave him a smile. I was thinking about his behavior earlier and I just couldn't help myself but to smile. He found it odd for me to be smiling, it was written on his face. I didn't know what he was thinking, but he seemed to be enjoying his meal. 

We didn't exchanged a single word after he thanked me for the seat. But I had enjoyed that dinner. I found that encounter sort of strange, but it did leave me in a good mood, and I do crazy things when I'm in a good mood. I decided not to go home just yet. I wanted to stay a bit longer at that McDonald's. So, I stared at everyone that seemed to have trouble finding a seat. I found their reactions funny. I smiled and giggled the entire evening. They would notice me staring, for some reason, and when we made eye contact, I would gesture to the empty seats on my table. It didn't take long to fill up the empty seats. What happens next was even more interesting.

I had just gathered a bunch of strangers to seat with me at a McDonald's. They all noticed that I had finished my meal, but neither anyone of them said a thing. They simply smiled, nodding their heads. The only words we exchanged that evening were "Thank you" and "Your welcome". The people I sat with were not students. I could tell they were either retired, tourists, or they had just finished work. But they seem to be hesitant to ask for a place to seat from a fellow human being. 

Do we have a law that will punish us if we approach strangers or do we have an unwritten rule that prevents us from approaching strangers? Whatever the case, here is what I think. I would definitely want to do that again.

I would have never thought that dining with strangers would bring me so much joy and a sense of contribution and fulfillment. I guessed we don't need a lot to help others. Sometimes we just need to give seats to strangers in an overcrowded McDonald's.  

© 2015 CalvinnTay


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on June 28, 2015
Last Updated on June 28, 2015
Tags: kindness, funny

Author

CalvinnTay
CalvinnTay

Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia



About
Follow me on twitter: @calvinntay I write about the thoughts and life of Gen-Y in a South-East Asia setting more..

Writing