Adventure

Adventure

A Chapter by Hannah CR

Smart and pretty, that right there is a very dangerous combination. I remember thinking that as she uttered the words, “I have an idea,” with her signature mischievous grin and I wondered what I had gotten myself into. It was a strenuous walk through the bramble bushes, my ankles throbbed with scratches and nettle stings but soon enough the illuminated house came into view. Here we are.

Her eyes lit up like fireworks, full of excitement as she pressed her finger to her rosy pink lips, signalling for a silent approach. The nerves were building now and I considered turning back but I couldn't leave her, alone. So with an intake of breath and a gulp I began to follow her trail. Snap. Crack. Crunch. The sounds of leaves shattering beneath our feet echoed with every step. Tiptoe, tiptoe along the porch and a creak as we opened the door. This is it.

My heart was beating fast now, pulsing with adrenaline. It was pitch black inside and deafeningly silent, our torches only providing mere millimetres of view but I could still see that cheesy grin, the grin that could make hell feel like home and I knew it was going to be fine. We were in.

I followed her up the staircase, ever so slowly, in an effort to remain invisible. Then we saw them, round and golden, pumped to perfection and imprisoned by dull iron bars. I heard her soft voice whisper, “Keep lookout,” as she fiddled her makeshift key in the padlock. A sudden bang echoed through the hall as she lifted the lid from the cage and retrieved our prize. We had done it.

We locked the cage once again, leaving behind only a taunting note to antagonise the finders and began our descent. Homeward bound, with smiles on our faces as the clock struck and the bells rang out. Almost there. One more step. There he was.




His torch lit up our guilty faces like it was the fourth of July and his bellowing voice boomed through the empty house. One by one, the other doors opened along the corridor, each holding the outline of a tired boy. “Run,” she screamed as she broke out in a sprint towards the exit. I raced after her, vision blurry and breathing heavily. When I made it around the corner, the reality dawned upon me. There was no logical way out, we were 1 floor up and the staircase was blocked by an army of angry teenage boys. What do we do?


Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, I saw it. That look. That mischievous grin that I was so used to. She turned to face the oncoming army and mouthed “Trust me,” words that to this day I will never forget. Then she was off, just like that. A charismatic blur, sprinting towards the group of boys, head on. She knocked the first few out the way and then to my surprise broke through the crowd. Sensing that there was not much other option, I followed, saying my prayers as I followed this insanity. God save me.

It wasn't until a few moments later I realised what her plan was. She screamed with excitement as she hurled herself out of the first floor window and my heart rose to my throat. She was always the reckless one, I couldn't do it, I wasn't going to do it but I had to. I took my run up and charged into the unknown, shrieking as I plummeted to the ground below. My eyes were screwed shut as I made contact with what I assumed was going to be very hard but turned out to be very soft. Abnormally soft. Am I dead?


I opened my eyes to see her, radiant as ever, giggling at my distress, I was definitely not dead. I looked down to see what broke my fall, bin bags. I was in a dumpster. I let myself relax and my laughter began, there we were giggling together in the largest trash can I had ever seen. The laughter soon stopped as we heard the outside doors begin to open and we knew we had to go. But where?


We tore off back into the woods and when we emerged not more than two minutes later, we were alone in the darkness. Alone, together. Panting with looks of pure relief drawn across our faces. Then I remembered, our prize. I looked over at her, smiling in her victory as she presented it. The Bruce House football, shining and clean. I could not believe it. I couldn't take my eyes off her as she celebrated our success. We had done it.


In my mind, I could have died that night, but I didn't and what an experience I had. To this day, the girl with the grin still has me helping her with her reckless plans and chaotic ideas but she's my best friend and I wouldn't have it any other way.




© 2016 Hannah CR


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on December 1, 2016
Last Updated on December 1, 2016


Author

Hannah CR
Hannah CR

Writing
Preface Preface

A Chapter by Hannah CR


Fear Fear

A Chapter by Hannah CR