Chapter 1 - The message

Chapter 1 - The message

A Chapter by Carl Drake Barnard

From the beach Lucas went to his apartment. It's a two story building in Port Elisabeth in South Africa. His apartment was on the second floor with two bedrooms a kitchen, bathroom and an open space which he had turned into a living room. He went up and unlocked his door and pushed it open and then a cat came running towards his. He smiled and said “well hello Suzuki” " Suzuki is Lucas’s lovable and adorable cat, which he had bought for Claire after a few months she had moved in to keep her company and to protected her against mice, she hated mice! - He bent down and rubbed her head, she purred and then took off again to his old rocking chair that was in the living room by the town view window by the balcony. He smiled and laughed “Some things will never change”. He walked to the living room and looked at the old photo's Claire and he had taken together. They looked so happy together!! He picked the one up where she was standing at the beach with her feet in the water she had this breath-taking white dress on that reflected the light against his face. She held her arms up embracing the sun's return.

 

Lucas thinks to himself: '' Why did you go? Why did you go back to him? All I ever wanted was for you to be happy... Now I don't even know if you are."

He placed the photo down and went to his laptop to turn on the music, the song that played was Puscifer " Indigo children, he sat on the couch looking out of his window he thought of her leaving him, and he still couldn't believe it. All that time that they were together had he meant nothing to her? Then he heard the beep from his house phone, he got up and listened to the voice recording, it was the voice of Claire's friend Elaina "Hello Lucas, hope you're all right, what Claire did to you was so wrong... Can't believe that she left you for that looser, without even saying goodbye. But I'm here for you. Give me a call okay?? Take care Elaina." 

 

Lucas stood there in front of the message machine and thought to himself:” Pure Elaina, always thinking of others." he briefly smiled "Maybe it's best if I try to get away from all this mess." without hesitation he picked up the phone and called her," “Hi Elaina, it's Lucas Just got your message sorry I didn't call sooner." Elaina:" Hi!! So good to hear your voice it's been a while!! How you holding up?" Lucas:” Alive and kicking" they both laughed. Lucas” I was at our old spot at the beach today, where we used to hang out. I really miss the old times with you and ...." Lucas couldn't say her name the pain he felt made him unbearable to say it. Elaina" Lucas it's been 6 weeks, she doesn't deserve you..."

 

 The words sank hard in to him, she doesn't deserve you... Lucas kept silence for a second Claire never meant but more to him, he was so in love nothing could take the very thought of her out his mind. Where ever he goes he sees her in the people and stuff that reminded him of her. Lucas: "You're probably right, Elaina but forgive me I'm trying, to, move on" Elaina: "It’s all right, I know she meant a lot to you. Lucas are you doing something later in the afternoon? Was thinking of going to get a drink with you?"

Lucas was trying to get Claire out of his mind and so he said yes. They said goodbye and Lucas went to lay down a bit to get some rest.

 

Later that day he went to the coffee shop just across his hotel. There he saw Elaina; she still looked great as always. She was tall and skinny with long blond hair. She was as beautiful as ever! They had met when Claire had introduced them in June.  Lucas ” Wow still looking after yourself I see"

Elaina laughing" Says the man who owns his OWN restaurant and gyms everyday at least 3 hours 3 times a day" They just both laughed and hugged, it felt so great as if all his pain could just go away. ‘Hmm and you are still a great huger as always!” He smiled and said “What did you expected?” They both laughed and sat down and for the first time he noticed the weather, it was cold and the air was moist the dark blue clouds covered the sky.

The weather was all but his favorite today, when he and Claire were together they would lie in bed and Claire would cuddle against him.

 

Elaina:'' "So Lucas how’s your off week been so far?" Lucas knew exactly what to say it was terrible!! He missed Claire more than he had missed cooking for people. Lucas" It was... a mind opener, had chance to think about everything and everyone."

She had known exactly what he had meant. She moved her hand on his and said: It's going to be alright, you'll see. Suddenly his cell phone got a sms as he pulled his hand under Elaina's a cold breeze went through him, he inhaled deeply and took his phone out of his jean. He looked at his phone and saw it was from Claire, his heart stopped a beat and he froze, it’s Claire!! He was excited and yet scared. Elaina saw Lucas expression and asked “is everything alright”. Lucas said yes not wanting to ruin the day with her. He opened the text and read:

 

"Hi Lucas, I was wondering if I could get my boxes later maybe at 7? Please I knew what I did was wrong and that you're feeling angry but I don't want to argue, I’m just going to get my stuff and then I'll be gone.”

 

Lucas was stunned by this, he could never be angry at her, nor be angry with her going away. He loved her. He could never hate her, even with everything that has happened. Then he realized it, "She’s going to my apartment tonight!" The thought of seeing her after all this time, it was more than overwhelming! He could feel the urge to see her, his beloved. He looked at his phone again it was already 6 o’clock in the afternoon.  He left the message and placed his phone back in his jeans pocket.  He had to go, he had to go now to see her and talk to her...

 

“Elaina” he said “would you hate me if I leave you, sorry but something urgent came up.’ Elaina smiled and said nope, as long as you call me afterwards and tell me all about it.” Locus smiled “Thank you, I promise I will call as soon as possible.’ He stood up and Elaina as well he hugged her and said “ Sorry again I promise I’ll make it up to you.” She laughed and said “Haha no need!” He smiled and said goodbye to Elaina and he rushed to his car and started to drive back to his apartment.



© 2014 Carl Drake Barnard


Author's Note

Carl Drake Barnard
I rewrote this to add some more chapters where Lucas stays I'm still focusing on the past and present its like i have a little glitch hehe so please bare with that and give some tips :) plz

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good start to the intro and I am looking forwards to reading more... see where the story leads :-)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Carl Drake Barnard

9 Years Ago

The prologue was actually the start hehe but thanks a a million for reading it :)
Adrimira

9 Years Ago

LoL... oops! Right, I'll give that a go too.
Very interesting! Im going to love reading your work

Posted 10 Years Ago


Carl Drake Barnard

10 Years Ago

Hehe thank you
I like this! Very good! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Carl Drake Barnard

10 Years Ago

hehe thank you :)
Nice read,,I understand lucas' position...eight months and he still hasn't moved on...what they had must have been deep. :-)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Carl Drake Barnard

10 Years Ago

Hehe Yip :) thanks for a great review :)
Tarella

10 Years Ago

You're welcome..:-)
It seems more like they just broke up a few weeks ago at the most. It seems fresh, not only to Lucas, but also to Elaina. And Claire would've long since forgotten about the stuff she left behind after 8 months. lol I would change it to maybe one month instead of 8. I really like how it's progressing though- eager to read the next chapter!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Carl Drake Barnard

10 Years Ago

Thank you Hehe for such awesome reviews!! :) Ill put some thought on It!! The thing is something sim.. read more
JBudak

10 Years Ago

Hmm... or maybe make Elaina a little less sympathetic. lol I know it sounds callous, but after a few.. read more
Carl Drake Barnard

10 Years Ago

Hehe I understand what you trying to say :) and I appreciate your opinion. Its just people and frien.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

581 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 11, 2013
Last Updated on August 26, 2014


Author

Carl Drake Barnard
Carl Drake Barnard

South Africa



About
Hi,I am Carl. I'm a Chef and a writer. I am melancholy-Rage writer as the past have said. And I am like this in real life. I write what I know and stay true to feelings as I discover them in life. more..

Writing