Making Friends... Well, Trying...

Making Friends... Well, Trying...

A Story by Carly Rose
"

College is about the memories with friends you'll have forever, parties, and exams. Its about becoming who you are. I just want to know why girls my age are so hard to talk to.

"
Honestly, I'm confused. I really have absolutely no idea how to befriend females. I suppose I should explain a little background regarding myself in order for this to really make sense. I'm a nineteen year old female, I weight just about 100 pounds, I'm 5'6," fashionable, possess above-average "people skills," and I I'm so lost. Yes that sounded like bragging, but really. There is nothing abnormal about me, not to the degree that I would repel my peers. I also have a feeling this issue goes beyond the boarders of my own experience. 
I like books. I like playing guitar and writing music. I like going out and meeting unique individuals, I think my mom is cool and I don't give a s**t about Coach products. Does this really mean I am that out of place among the females in my age group? I am a transfer student at my university, and I live off campus. I have been here three weeks and still do not have a single friend. 
In class today, I was assigned to a group in class and we had to describe what it would be like if we turned a particular Shakespeare play into a reality TV show. I moved over to the table and chimed in, and laughed a bit with the other students. That's when it happened. The girl in front of me brought up one of the most evil forces in our universe.
"Or it could be like Keeping up With The Kardashians." She didn't face us when she said it. I watched her long, blonde hair move as she spoke. Her shirt caught my eye when I had walked in. Blink 182 T-shirt. She was probably cool. Thinking she was joking, because why would anyone admit to watching that show, snorted at the absurdity of the statement. This girl spun around so fast I think he blonde hair turned into a lighting bolt. With furrowed eyebrows and eyes locked on mine she said in utter confusion, "Wait, you don't watch that show?"
(Here's where I really work my feminine, socially hip magic)
I just stared at her.
She stared at me. 
It was quiet, it was awkward.
So, I shook my head "no" and put my head down on the desk and scrolled through Twitter.

I really would like to befriend some girls. I really have only had guy friends. The girls I'm friends with, I've known forever. I don't know how to make new friends of my own gender. Do I come up and compliment your shoes? Do I ask what your name is? Maybe I'll suggest coffee and homework since we have the same class. Or if I see a girl that looks cool I'll just introduce myself. But then I just feel like I'm flirting. Don't get me wrong ladies, you're all beautiful and I'd be lucky to date you, but thats not my style. I'm just trying to make friends. Why are you people so alien to me? Why is Teen Wolf a good show, and why do you have those feathers in your hair and for the love of God please explain to me why all of you always act like such b*****s.

© 2012 Carly Rose


Author's Note

Carly Rose
I'm honestly very easy to get along with and not truly discouraged. I'm aware I'll find some cool chicks to chill with. But I thought I nice frustrated piece about my generation as well as my cynical-esque take would make for a good first post

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

As the first post you have done so well!
Congratulations!!!
As of your problem about befriending I have consulted with my daughter who goes to a university.We think it is a kind of natural shyness of the girls of your class.It
is common among all categories of people,both female and male.
The girls may be composed of various nature.Some are very friendly and easy going as you are.Some are very conservative in making friends.Between these two extremes you may find many categories.We assure you that you will
get good friends slowly. The time making friends will depend on how the class/university dynamics/environment will make you to interact with each other.
We appreciate your approach.It will give you fruit soon.
Don't get frustrated,lovely friend seeker.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Great post. I love when you said you do not care about coach products-that is awesome. You are not consumed by invaluable things. I am also glad you did not get sucked in or give in to admitting you watch the Kardashians. You are aware of who you are and don't let others define you. Many today are overly concerned with the pop culture. Sometimes finding a female friend just happens- and when you least expect it. The great thing is you have female friends that you've "known forever" therefore that is what's valuable and will last a lifetime.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Came across this by chance and I'm glad I did. This was funny, insightful and kinda sad, too. Some of my friends complain about the same things, so, it seems it doesn't get any better. But I think I was touched on a certain level because I can relate too; because I have grown (or maybe I have always been) intolerant, well, to put in bluntly –––to shallow people. I find that repelling. The thing is you know there's something more to these people but they're too busy trying to be cool, when they should know you can be, both. Anyway now I'm going on a rant here Carly so I'll just leave you with this: don't change, sure maybe you can be a little nicer (wink wink) but don't change. Just be on the lookout for people who share the same values you do, they will appreciate you...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I loved the movie teen wolf lol. And yes woman can be straight up b*****s. I know alot of girls who just get along with guys better. That isn't a flaw by any means. Woman can be scandalous and quite cold hearted to other woman especially of they are jealous of then and by the looks of it your quite attractive. Maybe they are threatened by you. I'm assuming by you saying that most of your friends have been guys that you havnt had much trouble getting a befriend either. To tell you the truth I don't know why woman are they way they are. I'm still trying to understand my girlfriend and we've been together a little over a year and lived together almost five months. The only real advice I can give without being a woman myself is I don't think it's you. I think it's them. Sometimes friends can be hard to make. I have the same problem. I can't find any guy friends but have all kinds of friends that are woman. I guess just keep trying and eventually someone cool will come around. Hope this helps. Take care.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As the first post you have done so well!
Congratulations!!!
As of your problem about befriending I have consulted with my daughter who goes to a university.We think it is a kind of natural shyness of the girls of your class.It
is common among all categories of people,both female and male.
The girls may be composed of various nature.Some are very friendly and easy going as you are.Some are very conservative in making friends.Between these two extremes you may find many categories.We assure you that you will
get good friends slowly. The time making friends will depend on how the class/university dynamics/environment will make you to interact with each other.
We appreciate your approach.It will give you fruit soon.
Don't get frustrated,lovely friend seeker.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

550 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 12, 2012
Last Updated on September 12, 2012

Author

Carly Rose
Carly Rose

Towson, MD



About
I'm Carly Rose, I am nineteen, and I am an English major. I will most likely be minoring in music. I love humor and the little things in life. I'm that kid who has a macbook but still chooses to handw.. more..

Writing
Change Change

A Poem by Carly Rose



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Carly Rose