Welcome to The New World DisOrders -- They Are Legion.

Welcome to The New World DisOrders -- They Are Legion.

A Story by Carol Maric

 

 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carol-maric/welcome-to-the-new-world_b_101224.html


This piece might be restored. Please feel free to read all the reviews below. Thank You All !

© 2008 Carol Maric


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow! So this is coming from the heart, huh? I have to admit, this made me laugh, not because I was genuinely amused, but because I've kind of been saying exactly the same thing for absolutely years. To be quite honest, I thought I was the only one...
That said, I have to agree wth some of the other reviewers, and whilst I agree whole-heartedly with what you're saying, you do kind of take a shovel to this one and beat the reader round the head with it, you know? From my point of view, I didn't mind (did I mention I agree with you?) but some of the 'sheep' are obviously going to have problems. Thanks for making me smile, though.

Posted 17 Years Ago


10 of 10 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I very much so agree. I was just diagnosed as being bi-polar, so now I'm forced to take six different pills three times a day. If I don't the government labels me as 'Seriously Mentally Ill'. So what now? In addition to that the pills make me sick, making me not eat, making me lose weight, which might very well make me end up on the cover of the latest tabloid next to Nichole Richie asking "Too skinny?" I could get started in circles here, but I love what you have written, and the way you have written it. Well done.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Awesome, I agree. Good Rant. There are other sides to stories as Jen Blair put it below, but good job. Thank you for the read!

Posted 16 Years Ago


I second this, whole heartedly. I love the sarcasm. I wrote a poem w/the similar idea behind it, but you're writing conveys the message much more effectively than mine. I love it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I have a few feelings on this piece. I personally do not look down my nose at people like Einstein or Virgina Woolf. I think that is it is commendable that despite their isses they were able to contribute revolutionary and valuable ideas, theories, and writings to the general public. Do we honestly know that without these issues would they have been able to come up with these things? It's questionable. I have a child with Autism and I doubt he would be half the person he is without it and I don't regret his having this affliction, disorder, or disease- whichever one it is. I do agree that some people have become over medicated and that instead of dealing with their problems they are simply relying on medicine- that is not to say that I don't find some people to be in serious need of these things.

Well put article and your issue was concise and easy to understand. Good job.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I've believed for many years that therapy and medications like ritalin were not only posionous to us as human beings, but in a way could be a conspiracy to keep us more complacent in order to keep society functioning like the well oiled machine it's become. Maybe I sound a little fruitcake-ish, but s**t I got put on ritalin when I was a kid and it's still affecting me. This also made me think of how PSTD used to be experienced by war veterans, but now people in minor car crashes are being diagnosed with it. Alas, I know society's fucked and it's been fucked for a long time. This little essay was quite insightful, nonetheless. Thanks for making me think.

Posted 16 Years Ago


People have to make the world small to be able to digest it. Philosopher kings like Einstein make the world scary. Modern psychiatry is based on behaviourist models where the main focus is to halt the problematic behaviour rather than deal with the root cause, and as you say because this conveniently puts the problem out of sight of our delicate sensibilities it is considered to be good medicine. I find it scary when I think of how many people I know, how many times I myself have just reached for the bottle of pills. we are demand feed babies and want the pain to go away immediately. if this behaviour is pandered to enough it strips out the coping mechanisms. people talk about how misuse of antibiotics has created unmanageable super-bugs but they never talk about how psychiatric medicine and it irresponsible application has damaged the minds of generations. sometimes genius and madness are sexy -- other times they are something to be rooted out. I really enjoyed this piece it was very stimulating and should be read by as wide a group as possible.

Posted 16 Years Ago


You have, of course, hit the nail right on its head - the dumbing down of modern society for political ends; ends which will, eventually, lead to our own self-destruction. Thank you for sharing your ideas.
Diane

Posted 16 Years Ago


I have watched, angered and disappointed, over the many years as people ceded their lives, their essential selves to psychiatrists and first valium then prozac and the new breed of mind controlling / life numbing drugs that prescriptively lobotomize human after human into unthinking and unfeeling robots content to be led by moronic psychophants into whatever morass or over whatever ledge the head lemming wishes to tumble.

I need my pain! I love my pain. Without my pain, I am no longer me, no longer going to create one frigging word of worth to myself, let alone anyone else. This period of history is caught up is labels and explanations. If they do not fully understand something, then label it so it can be eradicated. Don't mess with my brain or my emotions, because if you do, you kill the me that I've nurtured and developed after all these years.

Would we have any of Michaelangelo's art, or Van Gogh's if they'd been on prozac? NO! Would we have had Ginsberg? NO!

Great write here, important discussion too!



Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I have been angered by this as well. I see this stuff on t.v., magazines, and as well hear it from tons of people. People who are different then the norm get shunned and medicated. I know this because I have been one to be medicated at a young age. Ritalin was my disease, it made me someone I was not. I remember trying to rise up against it by spitting it out of my mouth when my mom was not in site, or when I left the nurse's office at school. For many years now since a little into middle school, I have stopped being on this drug at my request (because I had my non-medicated mind telling me so- and thank God!), and I am happy to be off it. Everyday I rejoice at not being on this drug as a cure for illness that is not an illness, but a person's normality. I say this because everybody has an illness,whether it is minor or major, or even not known yet to scientists, the illness makes the person who they are, which characterizes them and makes them an individual.

Thank you for writing this piece. I can not wait to read more from you!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I agree that society as a whole regards artists and free thinkers in such a distorted manner so as to place them in a sort of people aquarium. "Look at the pretty people but let's not touch them!" It's amazing that it's perfectly ok to admire the artists work but not the artist. Polite society would have them be entertainment but not friends. It's ok to have the artist over for a dinner party but don't have them over to socialize. What exactly is the point? Why is it ok for an artist to create but not exist? I don't get it, never have, never will. And as far as the pills go, who ever heard of a well adjusted artist? ;)

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

805 Views
91 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 2, 2008
Last Updated on December 2, 2008

Author

Carol Maric
Carol Maric

And then went down to the ship, Set keel to breakers, forth on the godly sea, and . . . Ezra Pound (TCOEP).



About
" My life goal? Literary Immortality--without compromise. " " I would rather be skydiving while writing a book. " philosopher & polymath Author of the unpublished masterpiece PROTEAN NotUnTit.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..