A Single Rose

A Single Rose

A Poem by Carol Phelan Aebby

     "A Single Rose"   

Piedri, Piedri! What bliss is this?!
To see you again is so blissed... 
There you stand in front of your easel;
Unchanged by time, absorbed in mind!
 
Your eyes, scent, long hair, beard, and hands;
Drawing me to you, arms embracing...
I take your hands, ーand check their lines ー 
Stained by contact with oils and hues! 
 
A rose in shades of pinks and blues,
On the canvas, ー standing alone ー
Under the grace of Selene's gaze,
Showing the beauty of its petals!

Our eyes meet: yours, ー strong violet ー
Kept their vigor of flesh and light...
Courageous wisdom's voice speaks to me,            
As teary-eyed, we part once more
Our souls, heart's beats, and minds entwined!


|**************************************************************>
         "A Single Rose"


The blue hues of a moon filled night drew me in with a sigh. I knew he would be there by the waft of oil paint throwing me back into a childhood of fun and games, standing in front of his easel unchanged by time. Long gray hair tied up in a ponytail, a beard and fingers stained by residues of oil paint and hues. I walked up to him with such a gentle tread, embracing him from behind.  He was not even slightly startled. I could feel his smile and his heartbeats quicken. I inhaled his suave scent, and thanked the universe for tonight's trip into my heart of hearts.

"Hello darling, how sweet to see you! I knew you were coming. My soul pulling you with my painting, look… see… this is you my child."

I look at the subject, a single rose painted in shades of pinks and blues from Selene's grace.

"Do you remember, my darling, as a child you had all these mysterious invisible friends?"

Yes, Piedri, you painted a picture of them for me while I played around you, singing and chatting.

"Yes, and when I finished my masterpiece, I was so proud of myself… I showed it to you.

I thought that you would comment on the portrait of you surrounded by the entities of your insight, but all you saw was a rose I had slipped into the painting at the last moment. So much brilliant technique, but that rose had just been brushed in on a whim. 'Piedri, Piedri you screamed with delight, what a perfect rose!' I was perplexed indeed… then you said…"

Yes, I said, but Piedri, ー all the stories that are to be told ー can be found in the petals of a rose.

"I was struck with awe, my darling, and even now you never cease to amaze me. I was just thinking of you, a gentle pull of my soul, ーand here you are with that magical smile of yours ーcomforting me with so much love."

Oh Piedri, I miss you so! Of course, if you call, I come. I have never seen such a beautiful rose!

"And I, sweet child, have never felt a love like yours. Be strong, for you are near the end of a long struggle. That is why those who love you have been appearing, and pulling at you. Keep on walking on the path of truth and love. You have nearly reached your goal."

With that, he packed up his easel and paints. As he stooped down, his cap fell to the ground. I picked it up and placed it on his head as I had done so many times before. Our eyes met, ー the only being I have ever known with violet eyes ー not even slightly faded with age.

"Peace, courage, and wisdom, my child." He said.

I embraced him tightly, then slowly released my arms, as he teary eyed turned down his path; and I returned to mine.

"Sweet heart! Wake up… let's have some tea."

I opened my eyes to see my mother's face looking down on me. And her latest painting of a single rose almost completed.

Sorry mum, I don't know what's wrong with me. Lately, I seem to doze off in the strangest places.

"You can come to my studio and doze anytime, my love, it is wonderful just to have you close. Now how about that cup of tea?!..."


© ー Carol Phelan Aebby 

© 2015 Carol Phelan Aebby


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Carol Phelan Aebby,

What a beautiful write. As he is creatively transforming his white canvas into a masterpiece, you are creating the same with your words in thin air.

Wonderful write.

Thanks for the read – Enjoyed Indeed…

~ Legacy, Keep on Writing Life


Posted 9 Years Ago


I love the rose poet. It makes me want to shed tears when I read it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

349 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 14, 2015
Last Updated on February 14, 2015
Tags: Love, Art, Inspirational, Spiritual

Author

Carol Phelan Aebby
Carol Phelan Aebby

Cork, Ireland



About
I am the breath you felt on your cheek; When you thought you were alone... The force that taught you to be wise And to find harmony with Nature... The air you breathe when life needs To be renewe.. more..

Writing