Warmongers

Warmongers

A Poem by Carol Phelan Aebby
"

The butterfly effect of individual actions.

"

“Warmongers”

 

The strong rhythm of impending death brought Ana to the reality of that moment. She was standing by a river, whose powerful currents made waves as high as those of the ocean in tempestuous time. It was so strongly noisy that it resembled thunders as the steady march of death approached. There was nowhere to run, she had to stand her ground as they in an almost endless line of rows of knights on horseback kept passing by her, remaining on their path. Ana did not move. She worried about her daughter who had been with her, but deep down she knew that she was alright. And as the rows of knights passed her, Ana started to think that this is probably just practice for some kind of Summer festival. The sounds were rattling through her soul as she stood gazing while feeling she shouldn’t look. Then she thought once again, this cannot be real, as the last row of knights passed her. Almost as if her thoughts had been heard, the knights turned to look back at her, and the whole world slowed down. Time was staggered and she saw the ashes of death, and sensed the stench of violence. Her heart nearly stopped or perhaps it did stop. Then they were gone, and she knew that she had been momentarily saved. 

 

Ana found her daughter eating soup in a nearby hut. The girl had not heard or seen anything. Ana knew this by her happy as usual demeanor. 

 

“Let’s get back to the boys.” Ana said “Weren’t you worried about me?”

 

“Why Mama? I knew that you would find me.”

 

Then Ana awoke in her bed. She could hear the children downstairs, chatting and laughing. She walked into the dining room, they were sitting eating soup. They all stopped talking, and smiled as she came in. Her daughter placed a bowl of soup in front of her, and they continued chatting as she sat quietly eating her soup. 

 

I am lost...

 

The city bells rang out. A life laughed... “Wake up or get out!” Ana closed her eyes and felt her Love so far away. She felt the panic of his Soul bringing her back to life with wise, strong and courageous thoughts. Then she saw a butterfly land on her hand as a message was sent as natural as life itself: “One must be prepared to face reality in order to plan a future living. Life is harmony, constant evolution and metamorphosis. Wise are those that follow the lessons of Nature.”

 

Then Ana went back up to her bedroom, lay on the bed, hugged her pillow and shed tears for her past. She had been warned of who she truly is. She had been warned of a terrible violence to come. She had been warned of future generations who will need protection. 

 

The warmongers are here, they have come, for the greed of mankind invited them in! There are so many degrees of greed from the being who just wants for himself, the being who wants for only family, the being who expands such greed to his village all the way to the greed at the top of authoritarian cults. They are one and the same for the devastation can be felt just as lightly as the “Butterfly effect.”

 

Note: The butterfly effect is the concept that small causes can have large effects. Initially, it was used with weather prediction but later the term became a metaphor used in and out of science.  

 

© �" Carol Phelan Aebby

 

© 2017 Carol Phelan Aebby


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your story feel of realistic words. What did my generation leave for the children?
"The warmongers are here, they have come, for the greed of mankind invited them in! "
A sad world. Many men of war. Few men of peace. Your words logical and worthwhile. Thank you Carol for sharing the amazing poetry and thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The butterfly effect contrary: the rotten apple in the middle of an orchard laid in a basket. That's why i abhor vengeance, in itself an escalation into nothingsness. Your words make a superb though sad tale, but their meaning is a tragedy waiting to happen. Great writing.. leading to...

Posted 6 Years Ago


this is ominous. you write of a sad reality. will man ever realize how interconnected everyone & everything is? butterfly effect indeed. all connected, every action has an equal & opposite reaction. this reminded me of a song called 'Warpigs' about vietnam by one of my favorite bands. 'tis criminal what man & governments/cults perpetrate in the name of selfish gain. a dark social commentary from the viewpoint of the innocent that reaches and bites. congrats on a brave piece well done.

Posted 6 Years Ago


There is no neutrality, nor innocent bystanders, in the midst of a tsunami driven war machine cloaked in the garb of a shining knight in armor set forth in chivalry to save the world, when in fact such knights do intend to save the world, its delicacies, for themselves as they capital-eyes upon the weak & the meek they feign to save by their greedy gain ... Love your sweetly told tale, Carol ... Powerful underlying message ...

Posted 6 Years Ago


Your story feel of realistic words. What did my generation leave for the children?
"The warmongers are here, they have come, for the greed of mankind invited them in! "
A sad world. Many men of war. Few men of peace. Your words logical and worthwhile. Thank you Carol for sharing the amazing poetry and thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 10, 2017
Last Updated on June 12, 2017
Tags: Sicial awareness, war, peace, love

Author

Carol Phelan Aebby
Carol Phelan Aebby

Cork, Ireland



About
I am the breath you felt on your cheek; When you thought you were alone... The force that taught you to be wise And to find harmony with Nature... The air you breathe when life needs To be renewe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Kisses Kisses

A Poem by Robin