RECURRENCE

RECURRENCE

A Story by Caroline Hart
"

Sometimes in order to move forward, you have to repeat.

"

Sometimes in order to move forward, you have to repeat.

 

The path ahead is blurred; smudged with doubt and uncertainty. She tries to take a step forward, but her legs are caught in the past, heavy with confinement. Her arms outstretched to the sides, hanging onto comfort and familiarity, keeping her balanced, but keeping her from change. She cries out in frustration, fighting the urge to surrender to the struggle. Determination keeps her strong, she must press on. She wills her limbs to move, forcing her tendons to rip at the effort. But its no use, her body is firmly cemented in place. She is stuck " confined to habit.

She looks inside herself for encouragement, but her heart is rigid. Trapped in memory, forcefully tugging at her emotions and pulling her back. Each heartbeat hammering to the sound of a clock that ticks backwards, submerging her in the past, supressing and suffocating her.


Shortness of breath leaves her panicky, but somewhere in the inner folding of her subconscious mind she senses victory, a knowing that she will succumb to change, for she has endured this pattern before.


This knowledge gives her new strength and she devours it, hungry for power, until every cell of her body expands with vitality and vibrates with purpose. She’s going to make it!


She takes in a deep breath to calm her mind and with fresh eyes she scans her surroundings. Beyond the fog of resistance, a path begins to emerge. A beautiful path, held together with hope and excitement.


She smiles and immediately feels her muscles relax. Her arms fall to her side and her legs begin to free themselves from the clutches of routine.

Her heart rejoices and makes room for new memories. Her entire body gently inches forward to the promise of a new beginning. Fragments of the past try to grasp her, like outstretched hands trying to pull her back. But she is not afraid anymore, for she has broken the pattern.


She moves forward.

© 2015 Caroline Hart


Author's Note

Caroline Hart
A little piece of descriptive writing ;) Hope you enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like this, it put me in mind of The Bees by Laline Paull, felt like I was there with her, feeling stuck and then the sudden beautiful clarity when you can see the way forward, great writing :-)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Caroline Hart

9 Years Ago

Thanks Fiona for the positive feedback :) I'm glad you liked it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
1 Review
Added on February 28, 2015
Last Updated on April 4, 2015
Tags: short story, fiction, descriptive writing, figurative writing

Author

Caroline Hart
Caroline Hart

South Africa



About
Creativity should not be stifled, silenced or disregarded. It will find a way to escape confinement, until it oozes out of every pore of your body, begging for attention. So, this is me, bursting with.. more..

Writing