Emily

Emily

A Story by CartoonHuman
"

Getting attached to something that will not last forever. Also known as human nature.

"

   A brand new, beautiful baby girl, in the hands of her great grandmother, Emily for the first time, A single tear rolling down Emily's face. So happy. Another beautiful family member. Emily knew right away she was going to love her with all of her heart. The rest of the family must have seen how much Emily loved her new great granddaughter, and they decided that the name Emma was perfect. As time went on, that choice was proven to be true.

         Emily is one of those wonderful people that when you meet them you are just drawn into them and you do not want to leave there side, so that you can learn to be just like them. 
Emily and Emma spent a lot of time together that first year she was in the world. But Emily knew that she was getting older and older everyday. And that she wouldn't last long enough to see her lovely great granddaughter live her life. She knew that Emma was going to grow up to be a smart girl who would go far in life. 
She knew that Emma might have been too young and might not remember her great grandmother in the future. Emily knew that there was one thing that could let Emma remember for a lifetime.

       In Emily's bedroom in her beautiful hilltop house that did not look nearly as old as it was, there was a locket hanging, motionless. A locket that Emily looks at every single morning as she rises with the sun. It looks as if it hadn't been touched in years yet there wasn't a spec of dust on it. It didn't deserve to just be put in a box with other jewlery after Emily's inevitable passing.

       As time went on Emily felt the days speeding up and passing quicker and quicker everyday. But she also felt herself slowing down and passing slowly. It got to the point where she knew the end was merely weeks away. She was upset that she couldnt get up and do all the things she used to with Emma. However she still saw and interacted with abbie very regularly as to not loose touch in the last hours of the amazing life Emily lived.

       In one of the last days of her illustrious life she was laying in bed with barely enough energy to blink. Little Emma sitting beside the bed playing with toys on the floor telling Emma all about the ice cream cone she shared with her mother just the day before. Emma loved to talk, and Emily loved to listen. They were really a perfect pair. Emma went on for 47 minutes about the ice cream but when she was finally finished with her story, Emily reached down to her sole and stood up. Emma's mother also jumping up to help Emily but Emily just slightly shoves her away.Emily works her way across the cold wooden floors. She takes the locket down off of it hook and holds it, closed in her hands held to her heart.

        After what seems like an eternity to Emma and her mother, Emily turns around and makes her way to where young Emma is sitting, staring at her great grandmother who she hasn't seen walking for a long time. Emily stops and sits on the edge of the bed beside Emma. She leans down and hands Emma the locket and says “Remember me forever as I will be looking out for you for years to come” she pauses to take a breath and then continues “I hope your life will be everything mine was.”

       Emma sat there not really knowing what was happening as she looked at the most beautiful silver heart shaped locket with mesmerizing swirls on the front of it. Emma sat looking at it as Emily laid back down and went to sleep, for the last time. Emily passed away with a satisfying smile imprinted in her face.

         Emma's mother walked Emma out of the room, crying and hugging Emma.

          “Whats wrong mommy?” she innocently murmured.

         “Nanny's gone hunny, you can't see her anymore” Emma's mothered replied whilst wiping tears from her face.

 

 

YEARS LATER

           “Emma wake up!” “The bus is coming soon!” Her mother yelled from downstairs.

          Emma rolled over onto her back and put her head up looking on the far wall locking her eyes  on the locket swaying in the breeze coming through the window. She smiles and gets up and ready for school.

             To this day Emma remains the beautiful little girl she always was. She is a very smart girl who lives a great live in the footsteps of an equally great person... 

© 2013 CartoonHuman


Author's Note

CartoonHuman
May be some grammar mistakes,

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on August 10, 2013
Last Updated on August 10, 2013
Tags: Family, Remembrance, Love

Author

CartoonHuman
CartoonHuman

Montague, Prince Edward Island, Canada



About
15 Years old and thoroughly have a passion for writing and all things creative. more..

Writing