The darkest days

The darkest days

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

A re-write

"
The darkest days

Winter of 1992 was holding on and I was hiding out on Highway one. I brought the vodka and pineapple juice to Big Sur. Me and my soldier friend Robert Padget are drinking hard.  He was yelling at the sea and he told the sea to f-off. I laughed at him standing near the moving water. I thought, how small we are. Padget was a wild man. He was Baltimore born and he loved to test life and the Army system. He taught me how to suicide board the Pacific ocean and he was hell-bounded. He didn’t care.

I walked to the hidden path at Big Surf. You climb-up to a mountain peak and you can see forever. I said a prayer.

“Please Lord. Forgive me for the sin of drinking the gin, whisky and the tequila, forgive me for becoming a barren soul and alone. Once I held great dreams and today I’m damned. Somehow I got twisted and I’m used up, I lost my mind and I lost my heart. Dead brothers and bad decisions led me to a poor ending. Now I love the drink, the free highway and the long-legged ladies. Please show me, the darkest days are needed to show us. The light of hope can be found again. Thank you for the sea and thank you Lord, for keeping me safe from my insanity.”

The highway is a fine teacher.  It showed you new places, it teaches you the gin and juice become bitter with time. It teaches us. Women may come and go, love is rare and sweet. Love is like a desert flower, rarely bloomed and a blessing to see and behold.

I looked at the mirror yesterday. I saw a stranger. Old face had left and new face, wore and torn eyes looking gray and lonely. I went back to Padget. Crazy man is trying to escape the rocks and go into the open sea. I joined him. We can never escape the rocks. Big Sur, wild sea and perfect place to dance with the sea.

Big Sur, teaches us. We are just mere sand in a world of great oceans and great land mass. We are just visitors upon the earth.
Old men love the dark days. Filled with anger and hard dreams. Today Johnnie would love to visit Big Sur. This time he would escape the rocks and suicide board down the coastlines of Big Sur. Find the hidden bay filled with crystals of many colors. He would leave them be, just hold them for a moment. Old men know, love the dangerous days and love the good days more.

                              John Castellenas/Coyote

© 2019 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Just words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
CMC
Interesting. The tense is a little spotty, but it doesn't distract me from the bigger messages, and that might be an element of the character's vernacular in the poem. You convey lots of strong emotions about different aspects of life (rarity of love, shortness of life, how small we are compared to it all), and I respect that.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Chris. I appreciate the honest comment.
CMC

5 Years Ago

You're very welcome. If you want to ask anything more of me about this peace, feel free to use the w.. read more



Reviews

We need the dark days to truly appreciate the good. It's all about balance. You brought me such vivid imagery of your wild friend Padget, standing before the sea telling it where to go. Better out than in I say. I can think of no better place to offload than standing before the vastness of the ocean. That's big enough to take all the verbal abuse under the sun

Chris.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are right dear Chris. We need the lakes, the sea to talk with. Thank you for reading and the com.. read more
Soldiers need an escape from what they see and have to do, it's a hard life that leaves lots of mental scars.
Recognizing that the ocean is big and timeless would be a wonderful distraction ... go find those multi coloured crystals John and think of your army friends :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

A dangerous way to those cliffs. Can see them and the sea protect them. Even young and strong. Paci.. read more
dear John... old men and older women are simply Pearls
to cherish... filled with wisdom and a glow that only the
Sea knows. Never underestimate the value of a life well
painted by the Artist of his or her soul. Remember...
when the sky is the darkest, the Star shines the brightest.
truly, Pat

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I agree dear Pat and thank you for reading and the comment. I do appreciate.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
CMC
Interesting. The tense is a little spotty, but it doesn't distract me from the bigger messages, and that might be an element of the character's vernacular in the poem. You convey lots of strong emotions about different aspects of life (rarity of love, shortness of life, how small we are compared to it all), and I respect that.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Chris. I appreciate the honest comment.
CMC

5 Years Ago

You're very welcome. If you want to ask anything more of me about this peace, feel free to use the w.. read more
I think every one has been on the dark side of the moon, and you are on the same bus as Kerouac and friends, I can hear the surf, vibrating in my brain great piece of prose

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Big Sur. Cannot be tamed. A wonderful place and thank you dear friend for reading and the comment.
Wow! life can be such a hard ride, wonderfully expressed ;-] your words touch the heart and soul.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I did visit Big Sur last year. Water, was too cold in May to conquer the sea. Maybe one day. Thank y.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 30, 2019
Last Updated on March 30, 2019

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..