Lake Gichigana

Lake Gichigana

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Poem for the book- The Island

"


                      Lake Gichigana


Once free land held a great nation, the first people lived in peace with the forest, the rivers and the big lake. Lake Gichigana was kind to the original people.

The ancient tribes of the northern American loved Lake Gichigana, the big water gave them food, clean water to drink. The great forest gave them the hunting grounds to feed their children and the big water kept them safe from their enemies.

Lake Gichigana is dying and the ancient tribes question the reasons for polluting the lakes, destroying the great forest and the murdering of the free animals.

Old tribal leader once asked after the white man cut down the great forest of Ohio. Why do white men want to kill everything that is wonderful and beautiful? Can't the white man see we need the lakes to nourish our body with fresh water, we need the great forest to grow our food and house the free animals. We shared the sky, we share the moon and we share the sun. Will the white man not be content till he killed off all things that are beautiful and wonderful?

We must stand with Lake Gichigana.

The person who loved the lakes, the person who loved the forest and the person who loved the long river. They will be accepted by Lake Gichigana, as a friend and they will have a safe haven in the arms of the big water.


                   Dancing Coyote


              

© 2019 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Some words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wisdom from an ancient soul, Coyote. Seems all the questions posed above are rhetorical and yet ignored. The question truly is why. It’s too simple to say it’s greed and similar things, or so I believe. Your poem does make one consider the why and the consequences of not knowing the answers.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

Easy answer my friend. If we are not kind to nature. The blessing of the sea and land shall be lost... read more



Reviews

thanks for introducing me to Ayla Shafer, Coyote Man! her music seems a cross cultural unified voice for Earth ..
i think you words give importance to our ancestors lives and way of living .. the world moves on .. those strong individuals that maintain the roots of their heritage and continue to remind others of those roots demands respect ... not sure who exactly cut the forest of Ohio down around the Lake .. but it wasn't me John ;} i assure you :) greed will always have need to be checked by social consciousness .. even the most callous must realize that taking without preserving and giving back .. will not work .. i suppose that's why some to the very very rich in America are also benefactors in a big way .. sins of the past and forgiveness for them .. or not ... remain in the past .. hopefully will continue to teach us how to do better today ... thanks for bringing this issue to light .. peace out bro! ;)
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

A old saying said in the 1800. Chief Pontiac couldn't figure out, cut down all the trees in Ohio for.. read more
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

an interesting and conflicted warrior ... instrumental in the French and Indian War ...won the Battl.. read more
Wisdom from an ancient soul, Coyote. Seems all the questions posed above are rhetorical and yet ignored. The question truly is why. It’s too simple to say it’s greed and similar things, or so I believe. Your poem does make one consider the why and the consequences of not knowing the answers.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

Easy answer my friend. If we are not kind to nature. The blessing of the sea and land shall be lost... read more
Hey Coyote, Medicine man? Your words are the elixir that heals thoughts. Great Spirit washes over all who seek to replenish. Prayers up for the lands, the waters and all creation. Aho'
Willoby

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

Thank you Willoby. Not a Medicine man, take years to master the skill of a teacher. I do follow my O.. read more
Willoby

4 Years Ago

We all have a bit of Medicine Man or Woman within us. Don't you think? Your words affirm it. I add a.. read more
Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

I agree. I liked using the sweet grass for sage. My Ojibwa grandmother taught me to use the natural .. read more
Another piece steeped in the wonderful culture of Native Americans who respect the environment unlike modern day society-look at Brazil!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

Thank you John for reading and the comment. Here in Michigan, leaving dead cites and destroying the .. read more
dear John... this is a beautiful Video and it flows softly with your poetry.
If only we had kept more of the pure water and forests. truly, Pat

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

I wish we did Pat. If we don't change our ways. We shall be in deep trouble. Thank you for reading a.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 26, 2019
Last Updated on August 26, 2019

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..