The Lover, A Soldier prayer.

The Lover, A Soldier prayer.

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Soldier goes off to War. Need kind and sweet memories to keep them human.

"


                     The Lover (A soldier prayer)
 
Poor boys and men.
Roads lead to War.

 
Young woman with a  sweet smile.
Silk dress.
Smelling like sweet flowers.

 
Whisper,  "let's dance tonight.
You shall go to War."

 
"Tonight we need to create photos for the heart."

 
"Memories to keep you warm when you are lonely and afraid."

 
Young man brings the sweet Angel close.
Whisper kind words of love and thankfulness.

 
Soldier stand alone.
Cleans his M-16.
Death is all around him.

 
He closes his eyes.
He remembered.
The smell of flowers.
The feel of the silk dress.

 
The sweet smile of his love.

 
Keeps him human.

 
                  John Castellenas
                  4 April 2009
 
 
 

© 2011 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
I stood alone on guard duty on the border of Iraq. Didn't think of War. I thought of beautiful faces and family.
Coyote

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Do a little soldier poetry myself ...fought the demons and the devil, walked the trail and waded the rivers, ...you stuff is good, Soldier stand alone. Cleans his M-16. Death is all around him. nice verse, working on some new stuff ....keep writing and posting
E Wells KY

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

Hope you made it home Dear Soldier E.Leo Wells ! I send you a Thank you for your service for all of.. read more



Reviews

Those memories of our loved ones can save our lives in tough situations like war. This poem has a powerful message. It makes me remember...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think we have to maintain that connection to the world of peace and beauty that once was ours and hope to rejoin again. Being a 20 year Navy man and Vietnam vet, I can tell you that I stood or floated somewhere on the other side of the world often and had those kind of thoughts. Nice writing, for certain.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this poem reminds me of the beauty in the world that brings us all, as the yogis of india, call a center. obviously i , a young buck not knowing war, can not relate to this poem but i find myself thinking of times where i myself have meditated to a moment or a face in order to bring a sense of calm, or serenity in an other wise chaotix situation. the simplicity however is some what im my opinion lacking something, i think it lies in lack of emotion. however war is emotionless do emotion might be controdictary, alothough i dont know how deep ur looking into the situation.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sure…
It is love and intimacy…
That keeps the humane qualities in us intact….
It is the source of hope and joy…
Loved the poem so much…


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked this, this really did make soldiers human. After all the killing, it's really not their fault, they're all humans nonetheless. Great job.
-Yin

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Everyone needs motivation, especially when they will be away for such a long time they need something to fight for... a really beautiful piece of writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

the last line is honest and rings out "true". Great poem, as always.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That's a great poem!!
Soilder having a nice memory, I feel that he is pretty lucky, other soilder don't even have a chance to save a nice memory!
If the soilder dies, he probably die in love.
Good !

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is really beautiful and profound. I like how it's simply told, no frills - that makes it so immediate and sincere. The only thing I'd say is that sometimes you seemed to go from the third person (he) to the imperative. Also, towards the end, you write "He close his eyes." I think you forgot the "d" at the end of "close." But no matter - this was a really great and moving read.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great write. its too bad that people still go to war in this day and age but I guess thats the way it is. Good job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5346 Views
164 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 8 Libraries
Added on December 6, 2009
Last Updated on June 15, 2011

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..