Just men

Just men

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

In 1978. I'm at a German Guesthaus. Drinking with a Russian soldier, A German Soldier and me.

"
 
                                    



 






















                   Just men


A large Russian man came to me. He gave me a hug. Told me. "We will drink together.
We drink my country drink." He ordered a double shot of vodka for the both of us.
He raised the glass and yelled loudly. "To peace. To beautiful woman. To Russian. To the USA."  We touched glasses and we drank the vodka.

I looked into the eyes of the man.  He spoke with energy and of life. He was supposed to be my enemy. I ordered another double shot of vodka. I toast "To long life. To love. To the end of war." We touched glasses and drank the vodka.

He put his arm around me. Spoke quietly. "Someday we will learn, learn we are all the same. We want a little love, some land and family. That is what most men desire."

My German friend joined us. He asked if I was alright? The Russian smiled and told the barkeep three double shots of vodka please in perfect German. We sat together at the back of the Guesthaus singing songs of our native countries. Just three men trying to find a moment of laughter and peace.

The Russian man had a wallet filled with pictures. He had a story for every picture. We listened and drank German beers. My German friend ordered some whiskey. We toasted and begin to sing. "If I was the king of the forest. I would allow the land to be free of hate. Woman to be many and easy. War to be a forgotten myth."

We are  drunk now. The Russian man took my hand and told me. "I'm a Soldier. I may have to kill you one day in battle. Kill you for my great country."
I raised a fresh drink. I smiled and told him."To life. To death. To hell with those foolish government. We need to be just men."

My German friend told us. "We are led by rich men who profit in death. We must knock down the wall of hate. Be better then our father hate. Need to stop wars so the children can live with no fear and hate always near. We are all flesh and bones. Can be killed by a gun of knife with ease. I hope we fight for reason and purpose?"

I ordered more vodka. We drank the double shot down quickly.  I told my two Soldier friends. "I believe only sin that can't be forgotten is teaching the children our fears and hate. Destroying innocent minds and hearts to be raised in a world filled with chaos and war."

We sang a Martin Luther song. We are joined by more young Germans. "We will overcome. We will overcome someday. Deep in my heart. I do believe. We will overcome someday." We were three drunk men. Three different lives, not so different. We wanted a moment of peace. The Russian man buys the last round. We are joined by three pretty German girls.

He toasted" To peace, to luck and to the end of war and violence." Then in a quiet voice he told us. " We need all people to demand the wars to end. Before it is too late. Before we kill all that is beautiful and good."

We left the Guesthaus. Three men with three young woman sitting on the park bench.
We shared some bottles of good German wine.  We sat in silence till the morning sun begin to appear.

The Russian reached over taking the German friend and my hand. "Life is to be lived.  We must dance and sing and wait for the Devil to finish us off." He took one of the pretty German girls and started to dance with her by the lake. Me and the German friend do the same. Three couples dancing, drinking and not afraid to be alive.
 
Best days in a life are simple and easy. Back in the Spring of 1978. Youth was my wealth and all dreams were in reach. I remember this good day. Three men tried to understand life and didn't allow the hate or fear to block that we were "Just men."


                              Coyote
                              1978


© 2011 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
I wrote this in 1978. The Cold war was on. We were more confused then why we dislike Russian. Like today. Truth must come from looking hard at the liars in charge of this government. A wise person thinks before create hate and fear.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I totally agree with you. America has been following a corrupt government into numerous wars for a long time. I think people are finally starting to see that the will of the people is being overshadowed by the will of a money-starved government. The people we have in office are too afraid to act in good conscience because lobbyists have them by the throat. So much greed. So much corruption. We don't kill for freedom anymore. We kill for oil. And while I stand behind my country and love it, it makes me sad to think that the people we have chosen to lead it have sacrificed their ethics for the sake of power and money. But I ramble. Wonderful write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

THIS BROUGHT TEARS...
TO MY EYES...
IT'S SO PURE...
AND SO LOVING...
AND SO KIND...
THANK YOU FOR...
SHARING AND LETTING...
US ALL THINK ABOUT...
THE MOMENT OF...
PEACE WE SHOULD...
HAVE AND LIVE...
JUST TO LIVE...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice. It's wonderful that you were bale to talk to some people from another county wile at war. This sounds like a good memory to always have.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Best days in a life are simple and easy. Back in the Spring of 1978. Youth was my wealth and all dreams were in reach. I remember this good day. Three men tried to understand life and didn't allow the hate or fear to block that we were "Just men.""

There is too much hatred in the world that we have forgotten love and peace. Our governments fight in the name of bringing peace to our lands. Wars just bring destruction. The soldiers who are sent in the battlefield have nothing to do with the politics. They do their duties. I have always wondered what do they think about the mission they are told to die for. You have brought out the point by sharing with us this anecdote. We youth have a lot to learn from people like you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

when i was a child i never passed judgement against anyone, through my eyes everyone was equaled, but though war, and reactions i started to not knowing pass judgement, and my doubts on the human race being to shake, i too wish that we all could live in peace, and have no fear about death, war, and the evil ways mankind can be. i this is poem very much it is a very powder and wonderful write. at the end of the day we are all the same, human, hearts, souls, spirits, i don't know why others can see and feel the same, to live in a world where no has hate is a beautiful one

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

great work...
you are blessed with wisdom that one get...
only from the experiences of life.....
fantastic write....

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well written

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I appreciate the richness of your experiences. Not so much what you have done but how much you get out of it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed this piece very much. It seemed as if so simple, yet brought about a deeper resonance that every reader can succumb to. Brilliant work, I must say. I don't enjoy poetry as much as other works, but this caught my attention very strongly.

Posted 13 Years Ago


we all should be treated equal. I don't think we create hate and fear, i think it's just a bad case of judgment in which we shouldn't do. I really enjoyed your story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like this a lot. Great work :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1787 Views
47 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on April 9, 2011
Last Updated on April 9, 2011

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..