Fading...

Fading...

A Story by Austin Cates
"

The story of how the souls of an angel and a human became entwined.

"
Fading...

by Austin Cates



Perched upon a hill, arms around her knees, sits an angel. Her magnificent golden wings slightly outstretched, her silky brown hair flowing peacefully with the aid of the wind. Her soft, milky complexion allows her stunning, blue eyes to appear all the more brighter. She is truly a sight to behold.

Beautiful as she is, something is not right. As she gazes upon the lush field before her, a tear rolls down her cheek. As the tear rolls down, it hardens and turns into a flawless diamond. The newly formed stone falls from the angels face, bounces off her arm and lands among a handful of diamonds. For what reason would an angel have to cry? The answer lies within one word: love.

His name was Andrew, he was a 26 year old musician with no living relatives and very few friends. Nothing was wrong with him socially, he simply enjoyed the solitude his life provided. Andrew had written a series of songs for an up and coming artist, which had left him financially comfortable. Though he was content with life, Andrew was never completely happy, he felt like something important was missing.

Though she had been called many names in her near 25 years on Earth, she always liked Rachel the most. Rachel was a Wanderer, an angel whose only task is to provide random acts of assistance as they roam from city to city. They have no outrageous powers apart from the ability to disguise their wings, as they would draw too much attention. Angels on Earth age as humans do, and are just as frail.

Rachel was in a city called Bakersfield when she saw Andrew nearly walk onto a busy street. She grabbed his arm, causing him to look up from his phone and notice the traffic. When he turned to thank his savior, they locked eyes and something extraordinary happened that has only occurred a handful of times throughout the course of history: a human's soul was entwined with an angel's.

When this unimaginably rare event transpires, the human and angel form an instant and unbreakable bond. Time itself stops for a few fleeting moments and the couple peer into each other's soul. Their darkest secrets, brought to light. Their most inner desire, brought to the surface. Their only thoughts, of each other. Together they fall into the deepest form of love possible.

After the link was established Andrew and Rachel embraced with such joy in their hearts that it can not adequately be expressed in words. From thay day forward the two of them were inseparable. While as a Wanderer Rachel was not tied to one specific place, there are no restrictions against such a decision. That day she moved into Andrew's house and they began their consociation.

To say Rachel and Andrew loved each other simply begins to scratch the surface. They each adored the other in a manner so profound that only those who have made that same connection can understand. For just over a year they were in the throws of passion with no sign of slowing down. Days were spent in the park, at the movies or on the open road. Nights were spent at dinner, in bed or under the evening stars. Life was, in a word, perfect.

Then the headaches began. Andrew was plagued with never-ending, mind numbing migraines which no pill could satiate. Blood would flow freely from his nose at random moments, bits of his body would go instantly numb. After a week of incessant pain, Andrew went to the hospital. Scans were taken, blood was drawn, and seemingly endless tests were done. Through it all, Rachel never strayed more than a few feet from Andrew's side.

Finally Rachel and Andrew were before the doctor, results on his desk. If his lack of words wasn't enough, the look on his face painted a picture they did not wish to see. When the doctor found his voice he explained how a tumor had grown on Andrew's brain and was continuing to do so. He went on to explain that surgery would be useless, as the tumor was too large.

After minutes of silence, Andrew asked two words: 'How long?' Tears welling up in his eyes, the doctor replied with four of his own: 'Less than a month.' Rachel fought back her precious tears and threw question after question at the doctor, and everything was shot down. Four doctors were seen in the subsequent week, however all of them agreed. All the while, Andrew's headaches grew worse and more blood would pour from his nostrils.

With just under three weeks remaining, Andrew had accepted his fate. Rachel on the other hand refused to do so. Every day she made phone calls and researched online. Yet everything pointed to one conclusion: imminent death. Every night she roared to the heavens, first pleading for aid, during the last week however she demanded it. Her cries fell upon deaf ears, for her Father did nothing.

Andrew did his best to comfort Rachel, to no avail, she remained full of anger and sorrow. Eventually, when Andrew could take it no longer, he released his frustrations. He explained to Rachel that it hurt him more to see her as she was, than to know these were his last few days left to live.

Andrew stumbled from bed, his nose bleeding profusely, his vision blurred from the brain searing migraine. He grabbed Rachel's hands and kissed her soft lips for the last time, then their eyes locked for one final moment. 'I love you.' He said with a smile. Then his eyes rolled to the back of his head and he fell.

Rachel dropped to Andrew's side but he was already gone. Diamond after diamond began to rain down on Andrew as Rachel shed tear after tear. She laid on Andrew's lifeless body for hours as she cried on his chest. Hundreds of diamonds littered the ground before she got to her feet.

Rachel burst out the door and ran to a nearby field. She stood atop the highest hill and began to scream at God, enraged he did nothing to save Andrew. She yelled until her throat bled, then she yelled more. Rachel's brilliant golden wings began to slowly show and stretch out slightly. Eventually she sat down with her arms around her knees and let the tears flow yet again.

Rachel looks toward the setting sun as fresh tears stream down her face. Her hand begins to go numb so she lifts it for inspection. To her chagrin she watches her fingers begin to fade away, then the rest of her hand and arm. Rachel realizes what is happening and she doesn't care. She's being called home, to Heaven. So she closes her eyes and lets the rest of her body fade away.

When Rachel opens her eyes she sees a man standing before her. As her vision clears she begins to notice the man and a smile spreads across her beautiful face. 'What took you so long?' Andrew asks with a wide grin, then Rachel embraces him with a joy in her heart that can not adequately be expressed in words...

© 2015 Austin Cates


Author's Note

Austin Cates
I'm not a religious man, by any means. This is merely a story I found interesting to write.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
Added on May 30, 2015
Last Updated on May 30, 2015
Tags: love, souls, entwined, heaven, pain

Author

Austin Cates
Austin Cates

Bakersfield, CA



About
Just a simple guy, bleeding words and sewing the wounds with frayed thread. more..

Writing
Mom Mom

A Poem by Austin Cates


Choice Choice

A Poem by Austin Cates