Fluffy Like Cotton Candy

Fluffy Like Cotton Candy

A Story by Catherine L
"

Early summer days

"

Early summer in Florida is the best time �" before the humidity comes and wraps around you like a damp heavy coat and the heat evaporates the air before you have a chance to breathe it in.  Going outside in early summer the sunshine fills your body with energy and every cell stretches toward the sun as if it can drink in the light.  To feel the gentle, cool ocean breeze on your skin is a pleasant contrast to the warmth of the sun.  At mid-day the sky is the color of robin’s egg blue and the clouds are pure white and fluffy like cotton candy.  They look suspended below this vast blue background and dance ever so gently through the sky continually changing shape and inspiring your imagination.   Below your feet the blades of green grass are full and round forming a soft blanket.   When you lay down it’s as though the grass and soft ground are cradling you with open arms. The earthy smell is intoxicating and there is new life everywhere.  If you lay still for long enough you can feel the earth move �" spinning and holding you close. I spent many a childhood day lost in this wonderful world.  On occasion, when I remember, I’ll take time during the early summer days and rest on the blanket of green grass and fill my spirit with the glorious beauty that is all around me.

© 2012 Catherine L


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I feel like this was written off a prompt. Like here, write some imagery and make the reader feel as though they are there. If that was the case I would give you an A. This was wonderfully written. The description of, well, just about everything was great.

I've been to florida more times than I can count, and this is very true.

I loved the way you described how the heat envelopes you in such a bad way. It's true. The humidity there is a killer. And then how you went right into how you're drawn to the sun just before the weather gets too hot. That was so beautiful.

Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Catherine L

11 Years Ago

Thank you. I wanted the reader to feel what it's like in Florida - but all the better for you since.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
1 Review
Added on September 12, 2012
Last Updated on September 12, 2012
Tags: Nature

Author

Catherine L
Catherine L

FL



About
I am native Floridian. Living by the sea is inspirational and somewhat of a mystery. As I enter the 2nd phase of my life I am filled with the desire to explore my creative side. Writing is a new.. more..

Writing
Waiting Waiting

A Story by Catherine L