Beach Day

Beach Day

A Story by Catherine L
"

It's about a day at the beach and the power of the ocean.

"

Standing at the water’s edge Claire looks out over the vast ocean and waits for the next wave to reach out and touch the shore.  Each time the wave gently caresses her feet as it goes past her and on its return takes a little bit of sand back into the ocean causing her feet sink into the sand.  It’s an interesting sensation as these tiny waves connect with her feet.  The water is cool and the sand smooth.  The slight sinking of her feet makes her feel grounded and strong.  Claire looks out to where the sky and ocean meet and sees the sun just peeking out as it begins its ascent into a new day.  The sunlight dances on top of the smooth surface of the water like tiny lights illuminating a path to the shore.  There are a few wispy clouds painted on the morning sky that break up all that blue.  Early morning at the beach is quiet and calm.  Claire always looks forward to her beach day when she can escape the problems in her life. She takes a deep breath and slowing exhales releasing what she holds tightly inside. 

Claire walks back to her lounge chair with its brightly colored umbrella and settles in.  Digging her feet into the sand, she reaches for some water and slowly sips from the bottle.  She begins thinking about last weekend with David.  They spent Saturday afternoon driving up the coast to their favorite Bed & Breakfast in Jacksonville Beach.  This is their place for a romantic weekend getaway and come up as often as they can.  They always reserve the same room on the second floor where they can see the ocean from the balcony.   After settling in they sit out on the balcony sipping a glass of Pinot Griego - another tradition they have.

“I remember our first weekend here” said Claire.  “It always makes me feel like there is no one else in the world but you and me.”  

Turning to her and with a faraway look in his eyes David said “I can see how you feel this way.”  He was silent for a moment lost in his thoughts.   “I’ll take a quick shower and then we’ll get ready for dinner.”He left Claire sitting all by herself. That was pretty much how the rest of the weekend went - David distant and distracted and Claire feeling alone.

The sun had moved higher in the sky and the clouds began to grow in number and size.  The clouds are no longer wispy but large and billowy.  The ocean is beginning to come to life with larger waves and the temperature is climbing.  Claire gets up and stretches her legs with a walk to the shore.  She cools her feet and splashes some water on her arms and legs.  She stands there for a few minutes gazing out over the ocean and then she returns to her spot on the beach.  This time she spreads out her blanket to lie in the sun.  This past week was rough and she begins to replay the conversation in her head trying to decipher what he said or rather what he didn’t say.

“Good morning.  It’s me.  I thought we might meet for lunch today.  Give me a call back when you get a chance” was all that David said when he left her the message last Wednesday.

This was the first Claire had heard from him since their weekend away.  After the morning associate meeting Claire called him back.

 “Hi David” Claire cheerfully said.  “Lunch today would be great.”  “What do you have in mind?” 

“I thought we would meet at the Garden Café, say around 12:30.”

 “Perfect, I’ll see you there.” 

When Claire arrives David is already seated at a table in the back of the café.  She thought this is odd since their usual table, the one by the front window overlooking the small garden, was empty.  She feels a slight twinge in her stomach but dismisses it as quickly as it comes on.  David looks up from his I-Pad as Claire walks toward the table.

“Right on time as usual” David said as she sits down.

They order a light lunch and then David starts the conversation.

 “I’m up for a promotion at work.”  “I’ve known for a while but didn’t want to say anything until I was offered the position.”  “I’ve been working hard to get this promotion and it will mean longer hours and travelling.”  Claire looks at him and his eyes repeatedly glance away from her as he speaks.

 I’m happy for you.”  “I’m sure we can work around your new schedule.”

Kelly, their waitress, brings their lunch and then the conversation turns to small talk while they eat.  When David is done, he places $20 on the table, kisses Claire on the cheek and says

 “I must be heading back to the office.”  Take your time.”  I’ll call you later.”

 With that he was gone.

The heat is intensifying and warms Claire’s body as she rests in the sun.  Every so often a cloud would block the sun and the temperature would drop.  A cool breeze caresses Claire’s body and she gets a chill until the sun comes out from behind the clouds bringing back the warmth.  Claire turns over and sits up.  Looking at the ocean it is now full of energy.  Wave upon wave is breaking at the shore and they come in steadily.  Their foamy white caps are a contrast to the deep blue and now the sunlight dancing on the water looks like large diamonds dropped from the sun.  As Claire walks toward the shore, she thinks back to last night.

She hadn’t heard from David since lunch on Wednesday but didn’t think too much of it since he told her about the promotion.  She begins to think maybe that’s why he was distant last weekend.  Claire finishes up her work and heads home.  She lives in a small condo complex.  Most of her neighbors are young like her and enjoy a quiet place to live.  She enters the courtyard of her building.  The plants, water fountain and bench inside are inviting and the courtyard is a small oasis that makes coming home comforting to her.  As Claire approaches her front door she sees an envelope under the door mat.  She picks it up.  She lets herself in, puts her purse and keys on the foyer table and goes to greet Muffin, her cat.  Muffin follows Claire into the kitchen anticipating her evening meal but first Claire opens the envelope.  A key wrapped in a note falls to the floor.  As she picks up the note she recognizes David’s handwriting.  The note tells her all the things he couldn’t bring himself to say to her at their last lunch together.

 Claire steps forward into the ocean.  The waves are big now and she dives into one as it reaches its highest crest.  She feels the force of the water above her and she pushes forward as the wave travels over her body toward the shore.  She stands up, opens her eyes and shakes her head.   The water feels cold but the sun warms the parts of her above the water.  She allows the waves to push and pull her.  It’s as though the warmth of the sun is drawing out the pain she feels and the ocean is washing it all away.  Claire wonders how many more trips to the beach it will take before her pain is gone.

© 2012 Catherine L


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on September 22, 2012
Last Updated on September 23, 2012
Tags: Relationships, Nature

Author

Catherine L
Catherine L

FL



About
I am native Floridian. Living by the sea is inspirational and somewhat of a mystery. As I enter the 2nd phase of my life I am filled with the desire to explore my creative side. Writing is a new.. more..

Writing
Waiting Waiting

A Story by Catherine L