On Fear and All!

On Fear and All!

A Story by Catlen

Coming out of the house, she found her grandpa sitting on a wooden bench in the garden. He was smoking his pipe and looking at the swifts flying high up in the sky. She climbed on his lap and put her little arms around his neck.

 

"Are you ever afraid, Grandpa?" asked the little girl.

"What should I fear?" he replied.

"Getting old?" she asked.

"But as time passes, you become wiser and learn to appreciate all the little things that life has to offer."

"What about death, Grandpa?"

"Why should I fear death when I've known life? Nothing lasts forever, my love. What matters is making every day of your life count. I've loved and been loved...I've known friendship, generosity and kindness...I've come across hate, jealousy, numerous problems, but even those helped me in the long run because I survived through them and came out stronger, my spirit unscathed. I've had a full life, my little one. I've seen beautiful places and people...I've seen the world change; sometimes for the best, some others not, but still there was change. I've been blessed with the joy to become a father and then I was still around when you came along, my love! So, no! When my time comes, I won't be afraid. I won't fight my fate because I would know that I'm content, that I've lived everything I was supposed to and it's just time for me to leave; maybe, to a new or better place..."

"Then, I shouldn't be afraid, either?" she asked.

"No, you shouldn't! But what are you afraid of?"

"I'm afraid of COCKROACHES, Grandpa!"

© 2013 Catlen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like this! The grandfather imparts his profound wisdom about a full life and she's afraid of cockroaches! This made me smile because it really shows the perspectives of someone reflecting back on their life and someone who has their life ahead of them. Very nice! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Catlen

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I enjoyed writing that too.



Reviews

Yes, I hate those creepy things, too. This is a great little story, Catlen, and this grandpa sees life much like I do.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Catlen

10 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I like this! The grandfather imparts his profound wisdom about a full life and she's afraid of cockroaches! This made me smile because it really shows the perspectives of someone reflecting back on their life and someone who has their life ahead of them. Very nice! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Catlen

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I enjoyed writing that too.
What a lump in the throat write, tis beautiful. I love the charm and colour and wisdom of this. Methinks it's because it reads so smoothly and sincerely .. and that makes every word and ensuing thought memorable. Thank you for .. each letter.

(not keen on those nasty, yucky creatures either ... bet they went onto the ark in battalions!)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Catlen

10 Years Ago

Thank you Emma. I appreciate it.
Catlen

10 Years Ago

You've just made me shiver, Emma. Roaches in battalions! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
emmajoy

10 Years Ago

Laughing, what a picture, huh?!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sam
LOL! Yes I am afraid of them too. Cute story really keeps you reading. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Sam

10 Years Ago

Haha! Evil little creatures give me chills just thinking about them.
Catlen

10 Years Ago

Haha! Another common thing for us to share, then!
Sam

10 Years Ago

Big Smile and the list goes on

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 25, 2013
Last Updated on August 11, 2013

Author

Catlen
Catlen

Greece



About
My name is Catherine and I am from Greece. I am a teacher in reality and a romance writer in my dreams. I am also working as a freelance editor / proofreader. For more information, check my webs.. more..

Writing
Love Ache Love Ache

A Poem by Catlen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Beware Beware

A Poem by Seashell