Compartment 114
Compartment 114
FREE author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars
Unexpected events

Unexpected events

A Chapter by Celestirys
"

Unexpected visitors stir up the life of Fiude. However, there is something else that also lurks around the village, hiding and waiting for the opportunity to come.

"

2. Unexpected event

Du-du-dumm. Du-du-dumm. Du-du-dumm.The pounding of the drums were low at first, but became louder and louder gradually. The masses watching the wooden podium were silent and faceless, but it was clear each and all of them were focusing their attention on the condemned. The first one was a man, tall and strong with chestnut coloured short hair and beard. Sharla could not make out his features, although she stood near him. Still, she was absolutely sure it was her father. Her mother stood next to him with a calm and expressionless face. There was no sign of fear, sorrow or regret on her features or in her eyes. She stood there with a straight back as if nothing was wrong, as if they weren’t standing in line for their execution. The next one was a young man with half-long, messed up blond hair and brown eyes, grinning widely as always �" even in the face of death. Westor. The fourth in the line was another familiar young man. Balgran. The last one in the line was Sharla herself. It was a strange sensation; she was standing right there on the podium with the others, yet she was observing everything from an outsider’s view at the same time. The headsman, a tall man with wide shoulders and huge muscles, stood behind them, holding his gigantic axe. How did all come to this? The drumbeat became a thundering cadence as more and more instrument joined in. The dark hooded headsman lifted his bloody weapon, ready to strike down all of them. Another beat of the drums, and the dirty blade swung down finishing his gruesome job with a loud dumm.

It was then that Sharla realised, she wasn’t hearing the pounding of great drums, but the steady rhythm of hooves. She immediately woke from the confusing nightmare, and rose in her bed. Echoes were still ringing in her mind from the terrifying scene. She was desperately trying to remember, who was struck down first, but to no avail. The group of riders reached the edge of the village and galloped past the first houses. Sharla shook her head to get rid of the remnants of the nightmare and tried to clear her thoughts.

She got out of her bed, and went straight to the window. She peered out into the darkness of the night forest lingering between the giant trees. Her glance moved upwards, toward the sky where the leafage did not hide it from her sight. It was new moon for the White Moon; the Golden Moon (which looked very similar to the White Moon, only it was smaller and had some golden glitter like tones) was just a small crescent; but the Blue Moon was almost a full globe. The Hunter’s Moon shone with almost its full potential and might. Her best guess was the new day has already started, but it was still hours till the first dim lights of dawn. She stepped aside from the window and quickly dressed.

Sharla’s thoughts were racing with each other, as she stormed out from the bedroom. Who were these riders and what did they want from the village? Did they know that a part of those who could fight left for the merchant city? This is bad. She got to one of the cabinets and took out her knife, and hid it in her boots. Her trousers were thick enough to protect her legs from the blade for a time, and in the dark, no one would recognize the small hilt sticking out from the leather bootleg’s inner part. As the moments were passing, she regained some of her calmness. They weren’t marauders; else they would have stopped and started with the houses at the village’s outskirts, or at least she came to this conclusion. But in that case who were they?

She quickly unlocked the door and stepped outside. Sleepy villagers were emerging from their homes. Sharla could see the group of riders somewhere in the middle part of Fiude, but she couldn’t make out their exact numbers. However, she did saw in the light of their torches, that they wore the uniform of the empire. Above the leather armour there was a black tabard with the emblem of the three headed flaming snake. Why did soldiers come to their village in the middle of the night? It was way too early to collect tax for the second quarter of the year. Can it be… that they came for her and her mother? Had his father got caught? Were they hunting for him? Did they need hostages to lure him out? She should make a run for it. The forest was near with lots of hiding places. She could come back for food and equipment later, when the coast is clear. She could then hurry to Valshadan, and hide somewhere outside the city and send a warning message to her mother. Or maybe Etalin had been already caught? Her legs began to move slowly, towards the centre of the village. The crowd around the riders began to grow.

The house at which the group of soldiers stopped was not the village elder’s home, although he was already present. Sharla’s heart skipped a beat when she finally realized, where they were gathering. They were right in front of the house of Lissi’s and Graas’s family. She immediately realized the men of the empire were here because of Westor. She and her mother were safe at the moment, but that didn’t calm her nerves. If she was right, and the riders did come because of her old friend, their presence meant nothing good. As if Fate wanted to assure the girl she was on the right track, the crowd suddenly heard a loud scream and then the unmistakable sound of crying. The villagers were stirring uneasily, suspicious, frightened or angrily. The riders still on their mounts formed a semi circle, blocking the view from the gathered people. It was also easier for them this way to defend themselves in case a fight broke out. Sharla saw some of the villagers came with their own torches, some brought hayforks, the lumberjacks brought axes, the butcher had his meat-chopper with him, other’s had hammers or other small tools they used in their everyday lives to work with �" now with the aim to use it as a weapon if need be. Nobody awaited anything good from unexpected midnight visitors. The girl quickly glanced at the soldiers as well. All wore leather armour, which were more or less strengthened with metal plates on them here and there. They weren’t heavy armour, but they gave a significant protection. Every one of the soldiers had a helm, and they were armed with swords or maces. Some even had a shield ready to be held in hand to block incoming blows. They stayed in the saddle, which also gave them advantage. Although the mares looked a little nervous, they perfectly held them in control. If things would get nasty, this night will be a bloody one, and the odds weren’t in favour of the people of Fiude.

Soon a group of people emerged from the house. First came a soldier, he must have been in his thirties, all though the ever moving and dancing flames of the torches could have played a trick on Sharla’s sight. However, she was absolutely sure the man had an irritated expression on his face, even if the shadows cast by his helmet concealed a part of his features. After him came Grewald, the villager elder. He already had sixty winters behind him, no bald spots on his head but all his hair and facial hair turned white. Even though he was old, his stature was a resolute man’s stature. He looked worried and troubled.
‘I’m sure we can work out a better solution together. Just give us some time.’ He said with a desperate voice.
‘The decision was made grandpa, and it’s final. Besides, your little village should be proud!’ The soldier snapped at him.
‘Manners, corporal, manners. Where did you leave them? You are talking to the elder of this village, which has been working hard, and paid their taxes regularly and precisely. They deserve some respect. ’ The crowd heard a calm, deep, strong voice, and another soldier came out. Ha looked as if near the beginning of his fifties.He was still strong, still capable of fighting and leading with a firm grip. He was calm, but had a strict look in his dark eyes. His grey hair and beard were cut short, and gave a law abiding, reasonable man’s impression, who got accustomed to giving orders. He was wearing a chainmail, reinforced with some smaller metal plates to give him more defences, strapped onto his back was his long sword. An ordinary weapon without any ornaments or ostentation, but the weariness of the lather on the hilt was an obvious sign it was used often, probably with great expertise. The corporate looked stricken by his higher-up’s remark. He looked even more irritated, but he did not answer back nonetheless. The higher in rank officer was leading two of the remaining children on each of his sides, Graas on the right and Lissi on the left. Their mother soon followed with tries rolling on her face. Their eldest sister, who was roughly the same age as Sharla; helped her father to walk out the door, the average height and built man with half long black hair and long beard man had a huge black eye on the left side of his face. The last to get out was a young soldier, but only a few gave him even the smallest of glance. He looked as if feeling ashamed. He said nothing, just quickly got on the back of his horse.

Before the leader of the riders could say anything more, the crowd began to bombard him with questions.
‘What do you want from these children?’
‘To where do you want to take them?’
‘Why do you want to take them?’
‘Leave them here or else…’ The leader of the soldiers helped the children onto the back of his mare. First Graas, then Lissi. He was about to get into the saddle, but the last comment made him stop. His strict gaze made the crowd go silent.
‘I know how this looks, but rest assured, no harm will come to these children.’
‘But then why are you taking them?’ A woman shouted.
‘Patience, my friends. Their family already heard the joyful news, but as always, farewell is a hard and sad event.’
‘They don’t seem happy at all.’ One of the elderly men of the village grumbled next to Sharla.
‘These two young children were chosen personally by two honourable nobles of the Waldran region of the Gshantan Empire. This young lady here has the privilege to travel to the great city of Lassela. There she will be noted member of Lady Davinia’s servants. Should she rise above the other maidens she might even become the apprentice of our great lady. And this young man will be no less than the servant, and possibly the future squire of the great tactician and army general, Lord Conewahl.’

Sharla had to admit, the man had skills for speech and manipulation. Not a master, since some of the villagers saw through on the honey coated words, but it was enough to calm down the bigger part of the crowd. Which also meant the chance of a fight breaking out dropped to almost zero. Even if some dared to attack, the rest of the untrained, and now unmotivated people would be no match for the well trained soldiers. Not to mention most of the inhabitants of Fiude would now probably flee.
‘And why they’d want two unlearnt kid from a nameless dirtspot?’Sharla immediately froze. She recognized that voice. Balgran, you idiot! �" she thought.
‘As you probably guessed the reason we came swiftly because of the fame their brother earned. It is unfortunate that such a talent became wasted on the wrong side in the war, because he did not receive any opportunities to show his skills to the empire. Naturally the lords and ladies of the Waldren region did not want to make the same mistake twice.’ Sharla almost murmured admiringly. Smooth answer. Although, she still knew what kind of fate awaited those kids. After such a prologue they wouldn’t dare to hurt them or mistreat them, but still, they will be hostages, and they will be used against a rising young hero of the enemy. Nonetheless, the overwhelming majority of the villagers were satisfied with the answer. The immediate threat vanished, they themselves were safe, and provoking a conflict with the armed authorities would only be against the good of Fiude. The first villagers began to leave the scene, and as the soldiers began to herd everyone back home, more and more joined them.

As soon as a corridor had opened for them, the riders kicked the side of their horses and galloped away. Graas and Lissi had calmed down a little bit, but broke out in tears as soon as the mare they were on made its first step. Their mother began to run after the riders, crying, calling out her lost children’s name, but to no avail. The soldiers did not stop, no one tried to slow them, to block them, to help the woman or her children. She soon tripped in something which was hidden in the darkness of the night, outside of the circle of torchlight. She didn’t stand up; all her strength was gone as the thumping of the hooves became fainter and fainter. Her husband walked next to her as if he was dazed. He carefully picked up the tormented woman and brought her back into their now almost empty home, hugging her tightly. They had four children. Two girls and two boys. Now, only one maiden remained. Their closest friends and the village elder followed them inside accompanied by the last daughter of the married couple.

Sharla still stood at the same place frozen. She couldn’t believe what she just saw. It was so painful, it was so unfair, and it was so… she had no words for it. She felt heartbroken, and she felt terribly sorry for her best friend’s family. They did not deserve this. None of them did. Yet, it happened. And slowly, the feeling of guilt began to crawl up on her spine inside her. Suddenly she felt a hand on her shoulder. Balgran was standing next to him, with a worried expression on his face.
‘Come, I’ll walk you home. It’s over now.’
‘Only for us. But not for them.’ She took one last glance at the closed door of the house. Guilt bit into her again with a surprisingly strong force. Balgran embraced her shoulder and began to lead them towards the outskirt of the village, towards the home of the healer and her daughter.

The following day greeted the world with radiant sunlight. However, for Sharla the next morning was dull and gloomy. She didn’t sleep well, she was going forth and coming back between twisted nightmares and awoken periods haunted by the images she saw moments ago. She didn’t remember all the phantasms which last night’s events unleashed upon her, but she could recall that she saw visions about the village, about her mother, about Westor, about Balgran, about the soldiers. She shook her head. No, it wasn’t a good idea to dwell upon them, it helped no one. She got out of bed, got dressed, and then ate a few bites for breakfast.

She began to make the preparations for the medicines. She had nothing to do with those plants which had to be dried, but the others needed to be processed. She cut and crashed and grated all morning, and by the time it was noon, most of the table and kitchen counters were covered with bowls. Some had tiny pieces of leaves or roots or stems inside them, others contained different juices or pulps and mushes. Some of them needed a few days rest before they can be processed further; others had to be mixed with the other ingredients in a few hours’ time.

Now she had some time to have a break and to have some lunch. She didn’t cook anything, the corner of the bread with some smoked cheese and berries from the forest were more than enough. Although she was satisfied with the progress she made, her gloomy mood wasn’t lifted. The melancholy still lingered inside her, and guilt also stung her time and time again. She shook her head for the hundredth time that day. Dwelling had no use. She got to her feet with a big sigh. Although she didn’t have anything to do with the herbs at the moment, she had other work to do. She ate the last pieces of the bread, so she had to buy one. Also, she needed to bring a few buckets of water as well, since she will be needing quiet a lot of liquid in the process of medicine making. She went back to the bedroom, got their purse out of its secret hiding place, got some coins out of it for the bread, then she put it back to its place. It was about time she’ll get out of the house and get some fresh air.

As she stepped out of the door she almost fell over a gray tomcat lurking in front of their home. She managed to find her balance; still, she looked at the furry creature somewhat annoyed.
‘Oi, watch where you’re walking Whiskers, next time you might find yourself under a cart. Or a much larger person.’ The gray cat meowed almost apologetically. Sharla raised her eyebrow surprised. Come to think of it, the little creature was unfamiliar to her. They had several felines in the village, hunting for mice and rats, buttering up soft hearted people for treats, but she was definitely sure it was the first time she saw this one. The tomcat immediately began to fawn to her boots, and within seconds, Sharla could hear the unmistakable sound of purring. The girl put her hands on her waist, shaking her head. Still, the cat charm worked.
‘Hungry aren’t you? Well, I need to go now, but if you’ll still be lurking here when I get back, I’ll see what I can spare. Just don’t try to trip me again, deal?’ She bent down and petted the cat’s head. Obviously the gray tomcat enjoyed the attention and care. He was the centre of the universe for a few seconds, which feline would not be satisfied with that?

Sharla didn’t look back as she was walking on the dirt road, but she was sure the gray little creature looked at her back with great disappointment. He did everything to seduce the human, he even purred, yet he did not get something delicious right away. Fate, you cruel beast! It was just a small thing, but the encounter with the feline made Sharla smile a bit.

The gloom seemed to have taken over the whole village. There wasn’t so much life in Fiude as on other days, and it wasn’t because some of the inhabitants left to the festival. Even if they didn’t resist the soldiers, even if they didn’t stop them from taking Lissi and Graas, no one could deny what happened. They might comfort themselves or others by saying they will have a better life, they will live under much better circumstances, with much better opportunities �" everyone knew, everyone saw it was not their decision, it was not their family’s choice. However, it was not enough to ignite the spark in the villagers. Maybe, because they were tired, maybe they were too scared or confused, or simply that wasn’t enough to risk everything. She couldn’t blame them but it felt wrong. Also she couldn’t get rid of the feeling she had her share in how the events turned out.

She was already standing on the doorstep of the village’s baker, probably for long seconds now. She blew out her frustration and guilt with a sight, and then knocked on the door. After the baker’s reply she entered the house with a small smile on her face.
‘Hello Forsen!’
‘Hello Sharla, how can I help?’Forsen, a tall, round man with curly, light brown hair and puppy like dark eyes, greeted him with a broad smile. He was a huge person, but he was the kindest and most gold-hearted man Sharla ever knew.
‘Do you have some bread I can buy? Leftovers are also fine.’
‘I’m sorry, I sold them all, but the fresh ones will be ready in an hour or so. Come back then, I’ll put aside one for you.’
‘Thank you Fo…’
‘You not only serve her, but even do a favour for her? How could you?’ The woman’s voice was full of disdain. Sharla noticed only now, that they were three in the room. The butcher’s wife was standing in the corner, barely at the edge of the girl’s vision as she had entered the baker’s home. She was a short woman in her forties with a slight overweight. Her dark brown hair with the first silver streaks in it was tied into a tight knot; her sharp, pointy noose gave an even meaner look to her obnoxious gaze. She knew the butcher’s wife and her mother were not on good terms ever since Etalin and Gaon arrived to the village and moved in, but everyone knew this woman had a hard nature, and that her marriage wasn’t happy either probably made things worse.
‘Gella, please!’Forsen tried to calm down the woman.
‘Don’t even try to hush meForsen! I told everyone on the day when that suspicious couple came. They will bring misfortune upon our heads!’
‘That’s not what you said when Gaon helped out your husband when he had to lay in bed with his back.’Forsen reminded Gella.
‘Don’t try to change the subject! What do you think, who is the reason those soldiers came? And I tell you, more will come!’
‘They came here because of Westor. The boy became a pain in their arse.’
‘And why did he leave to be the hero no one asked for? Who planted the idea? Who told him those wild tales she heard from worthless outlaws hiding in their attic? Hmm?’
‘That’s enough Gella, leave my house, now. And next time, send Harrv to pick your order.’ The butcher’s wife pouted, but left the baker’s home grumping as she walked outside and slammed the door behind her.Sharla stood incredulous, she still had to process what she had heard just now. They really blamed her for what had happened. The bitterest part in the whole situation was that a part of her agreed with the impeachment.

Forsen walked next to her and patted the girl on the shoulder.
‘Never mind her. It’ll take some time, but they’ll forget this nonsense. People want to blame someone for bad things, and a few chose you to be target, but this wasn’t your fault.’
‘They?’ She looked up in despair. Forsen hesitantly nodded.
‘Some agree with her, aye. They say this would never have happened, if your family wouldn’t have come here. Nonsense, I say. They forget how much Etalin did for them, for us. And how much your father helped, while he was here. Ungrateful lot. You know what? We’re baking some pies too. I’ll bring a half to you with the fresh bread, when it’s ready. As a gift, you don’t need to pay for the pie. Just enjoy it!’
‘Thanks Forsen, but that’s not necessary, I’m fine.’Sharla smiled a faint smile.
‘No, you’re not, and that’s normal. Besides, I insist, so you can’t do anything about it. I’ll drop by as soon as they’re ready.’
‘Thank you Forsen!’ Sharla felt really grateful for the baker’s gesture.
‘Any time. And don’t worry, when Etalin comes back, she will put the hag and her bunch back to their places. Take care Sharla.’
‘You tooForsen!’ She left the baker’s home with a bittersweet feeling in her heart.

She went back to their house, but did not go inside. Instead she entered the small stable, in which they kept their horse, and grabbed two wooden buckets and a wooden rod. She then walked back to the village’s well. She poured two full buckets of water from it, and then slipped the rod through their bails. She took a moment before she lifted them and put all the weight on her shoulders. The buckets weren’t small, the wooden material also added to their weight, not to mention the amount of water she carried in them. Although, small waves crashed to their side, spilling some drops of the liquid to the groundSharla did her best to balance the buckets and tried very hard not to drop them. She groaned as the heavy weight ended on her shoulder, but somehow it also made her feel relieved. She didn’t have to think about the burdens on her heart, she had to focus on the loads on her body. It was the same as fighting one pain with another. Suddenly it didn’t seem so big, so terrible, as she had to struggle with something else, a different kind of difficulty.

Sharla spent the afternoon with making those medicines she was capable of mix and whisk. Syrups, ointments, balms and other useful healing recipes were memorized with a good amount of effort, and it was still half the number her mother knew. At best.  Sharla made no mistakes while she was creating the medicines, although her thoughts wandered off again and again. She tried to focus on her work, but the monotonous job allowed her attention to subtly change subject. Her thoughts were swirling around the kidnapping of the two children. She had no better word for what had happened last night. Sadly enough the only thing she could do for them is to hope their captors won’t get tired of their hostages and simply kill them or harm them just to hurt the young soldier who began to rise so quickly. This didn’t mean much comfort, since there were many other horrid ways to abuse the situation, even without torturing innocent children. She heard too many similar tales while she was eavesdropping on the conversation between her mother and their guests. And what had happened could have been partly her fault. The bitter conclusion popped up in her mind again and again while she was stirring a mixture or filling a small jar or a vial. She was slowly and steadily began to be driven insane by the guilt and uncertainty.

There was a knock on the door. Sharla gazed at the closed door suspiciously, a bitter remark already on the tip of her tongue. No, she shouldn’t growl immediately at any visitor. It must be Forsen with the bread and pie. Even if it was someone else a lyncher mob wouldn’t knock on her door.
‘Come in, it’s open.’ She sighed, and put the top onto the last jar. There were still some bowls on the table, but the half ready mixture needed some time to seethe. The door opened and Balgran’s head appeared in the opening.
‘Hey, I brought the bread and pie Ferson promised.’
‘From body guard to courier?’ A faint smile curled on her lips.
‘You know what they say, it’s better to stand on several feet. Don’t worry; I paid for it, so no need…’
‘Oh, quit it! Come in, sit down and give me your hand!’
‘As you comma… hey, watch it you little b*****d! Shoo! Shoo!’
‘What is it?’
‘You don’t happen to suddenly own a cat, right?’
‘Is it a gray tomcat?’
‘You do suddenly own a cat?’
‘No, but I promised him some food. It seems he remembered that.’
‘And he’s already in.’ The quick little creature was already standing in front of the girl, meowing loudly. Balgran shook his head, but since the host didn’t seem to mind its presence, he had no right to kick him out of the house. ‘At least someone will have a good day.’
‘Tell me more about it…’ Sharla sighed. She got out some coins from her pocket and handed it to her friend. ‘Thanks for bringing them.’
‘Anytime. It’s the least I can offer after what happened.’ Balgran put the bread and pie to a free spot on the table. Sharla sighed again, as she walked to the pantry.
‘You’ve heard what happened at Ferson.’
‘He’s still very upset about it.’ Sharla returned with some cheese and dried meet.
‘Well, at least I know it was a good idea not to pay a visit to Westor’s family. Dinner?’
‘I don’t want to eat you out of your fortunes.’
‘Like that would lead us to poverty…’
‘Okay, okay, just have mercy. Besides, you cannot know what they think.’
‘Well, what could they possibly think?’ Sharla cut a tiny piece of meat and dropped it on the floor, so the still meowing tomcat can have his dinner.
‘Probably only they know, since they don’t really talk about it. Well, they don’t really talk to anyone.’
‘Are you surprised? It must be terrible for them.’
‘Aye. Still, I don’t understand why anyone would make you or your mother a fall guy?’
‘Obviously, because there’s some truth in it.’
‘You’re joking, right?’
‘No I’m not.’
‘Sharla, why would this be your or Etalin’s fault at any point?’
‘Because I filled his mind with crazy tales heard from the travellers and adventurers.’
‘Hey, I heard those stories as well, and did I leave the village? No.’
‘Yes, and you never fantasized about going on adventures, becoming a great hero, a champion of… I don’t even remember what.’
‘You know what was Westor like? Ha was always looking for fun, for something amusing. Besides, did he want you or me to go with him? Did he tell us about his plans? No.’
‘That’s not the point.’
‘My point is, that he would have left eventually even if you two would never have met.’
‘You can’t be sure.’
‘I am god damn sure.’ Balgrand slammed his fist on the top of the table. Even the tomcat raised his head and looked at the two of them.

Silence began to settle in disturbed only by the soft purr of the tomcat. The girl slipped another small piece of dried meet to the furry creature.
‘Look, Sharla, it is possible, that the stories you heard and told us gave him inspiration. But you also heard it, I also heard it, and we never truly considered turning our backs on our current life. It was a risky decision, and he was willing to take it. Now the consequences caught up, but this doesn’t mean it has got anything to do with you. You didn’t say he should leave, you didn’t tell him to chase those silly dreams.’ Sharla sat silently on her chair. The gray tomcat finished the next piece and was now looking at her with his yellow, feline eyes. Sharla slowly reached out to the guest creature, grabbed him, pulled him to her lap, and began to caress him, feeding him with other small bits from her free hand. The tomcat didn’t seem to mind at all the change of place, he simply made himself comfortable by rolling into a gray ball of purring fur occasionally reaching out for the food with his furry head.
‘You’re right. It was his choice, his decision. And probably he would have made it even if we weren’t friends, even if I hadn’t filled his thoughts with nonsenses.’
‘Now you’re getting reasonable, see? And if anyone tries to convince you that you are to blame, just whack them on the head.’ Blagran grinned.
‘Why would I do that?’
‘They’d find another reason to be angry, so why not give them a valid one?’
‘Am I still speaking to Balgran or is this a spirit of vengeance that took over his body?’
‘It’s totally me. And now that I’ve got that silliness out of your head, we can finally have a proper dinner. Besides, you didn’t tell us nonsenses. They were very interesting and exciting stories.’
‘And that is the main problem.’
‘Don’t start it all over again!’ Balgrand held up his forefinger in warning.
‘I won’t I promise.’ Sharla held up her hands as a sign of surrender. The tomcat immediately looked up at her in disappointment. No food, no caressing, those were serious mistakes according to feline dogmas.
‘Good. Now let’s eat. It would be unfair if only your new cat buddy would get the nice bites.’
‘Jealous already?’
‘Ha-ha.’

Dinner was held in a much better mood. Balgran was pleased to see, he did a good job, since Sharla was able to smile again. He didn’t want to press any serious matters, so he tried to avoid any topics which were connected to Westor, Lissi, Graas, or their families, to Sharla’s family, to adventures in general, or what the villagers thought about last night’s event. The cat was the luckiest them of all, since the furry creature managed to get some tiny bits from the both of them. Everything seemed to calm down and get back to their regular tracks as the slices of bread, cheese, meat and pie was consumed.
‘Okay, bring it on.’ Sharla smiled with a tired smile.
‘Bring on what?’ Balgran looked confused as he relaxed on the chair.
‘I know you. You have at least a dozen questions about what happened.’
‘It can wait.’ He waved.
‘I’m fine. Go on, ask what you will, before curiosity eats you out.’
‘Are you sure?’
‘Don’t make me repeat myself. I’m fine. Better at least. Talking about the information which can be uncovered from the soldier’s words won’t make me gloomier. I promise.’
‘If you say so. But I’ll be very mad if you’re going to blame yourself or get depressed again.’
‘Still waiting for your questions Balg.’
‘Okay. So, who were those guys they mentioned. Lady…Divina or what and Lord Cone… brick?’
‘Lady Davinia and Lord Conewahl?’
‘How can you remember such names?’
‘I heard them pretty often. Lady Davinia is a powerful sorceress who is hunting for magic users labelled as criminals. She often executes them, or simply kills them while on the hunt. Lord Conewahl is a veteran warrior, people say he was a mercenary and made his fortune by aiding the empire in the conquest of the Waldran region. Well, at least parts of it. Now he’s the general leading the offence against Lightshore.’
‘The one Westor is fighting against.’ Sharla nodded grimmly.
‘Obviously they will let gossips run free about the new squire. Most likely they will try to trap Westor by using Graas.’ Both Sharla’s and Balgrand’s face darkened. ‘At least that’s what I’d do if I had found out this much about his background.’
‘Then why did they take Lissi?’
‘My guess she’s the backup plan in case the first one doesn’t work.’
‘Why wouldn’t it? They don’t seem to be stupid.’
‘They aren’t, and neither are the heads of the Sun army. They might be able to rescue Graas, this must be taken into consideration too. Or a young boy such as him can get killed on the road; and he never reaches the general.’
‘What? You can’t be serious.’
‘Calm down, I’m not saying they will want to murder little Graas. He is very precious at the moment. I think. But traveling is always dangerous, especially for a little boy. Even if he is well protected, accidents happen, or he can get a nasty sickness. The same is true for Lissi.’
‘You’re thoughts are surprisingly dark sometimes, you know that.’
‘I’m only considering what can happen. Bad things occur Balgran, we all had a taste of it last night. Not to mention I’m the daughter of a wise healer, and I heard to often what can possibly go wrong during a simply journey from one town to another.’ Sharla shuddered.
‘I know. Now I’m beginning to feel depressed.’
‘I’m sorry.’
‘Don’t be, I wanted answers. So Graas will be heading to the battlefront, right?
‘I guess so. It would be logical.’ Sharla nodded.
‘And what about Lissi? Is that witch in the army as well?’
‘She helps the offence as far as gossips go, but not personally.’
‘So Lissi will be in… that city.’
‘Lassela. Probably. She’ll most likely be raised to a loyal citizen of the empire.’
‘And what do you mean by that? She is as loyal as a kid can be! She never planned anything mischievous, not even against her sister and brothers!’ Balgran growled angrily. Sharla just shrugged.
‘That’s just a guess. I don’t know what a mage wants from an ordinary kid. I’m no wizard or any kind of magic user, remember?’
‘Well, sometimes you’re pretty bewitching and charming.’
‘Ha-ha.’
‘And the score is settled.’ Balgran grinned triumphantly.
‘How long have you waited to make that joke?’
‘Far too long.’
‘How many other puns have you saved up for later?’
‘Far too many.’Sharla sighed but smiled.
‘You’re unbelievable, you know that?’
‘That’s rich coming from you.’ Balgran snorted in disbelief. Now it was time for Sharla to grin. ‘I see you feel much better now. Good. I can go home in peace knowing you’ll be fine. At least it can be said for one of us.’
‘Why?’ Sharla looked at her friend worried.
‘My dear brother will be chivvying me about spending more time here than at home.’
‘Uhm, sorry. Next time I’ll chase you home as soon as I spot you. However, I owe you a great deal for this visit.’
‘I’m just joking. And anytime, that’s what friends are for.’
‘Still, I owe you one.’
‘Hey, you’re not the only one who hates to repeat themselves.’
‘Okay, okay. Thanks for coming Balg. I really appreciate it, and it helped a lot.’
‘Any time Sharla.’ Balgran smiled. He stood up and walked to the door. The tomcat, which was sleeping quietly under the table, now woke up. He stretched its lean body then with only a single jump jumped on the top of the counter, and watch the young man with his yellow eyes.
‘See you tomorrow Sharla.’
‘See you tomorrow Balg.’ After a moment’s hesitation she hugged him. She really needed a friend, and Balgran came almost immediately, without being called. The young man patted the back of the girl, and then let her go. He gazed at her for a few more split seconds, then opened the door and left the house. It was better to go.

Twilight was already approaching as the sun began to set behind the trees of the great Waldran forest. Sharla wasn’t sleepy at all, although in a way the day was exhausting. She lit a few candles and took one of her mother’s leather covered small books in which she kept her recordings of herbs, recipes and tips and tricks. She always asked how she got so many small, leather bound books in which she herself could write anything she wanted. However, Etalin always avoided a straight answer with an enigmatic reply, and smiling mysteriously. Her mother taught her how to read using her own books, and even later, the girl perused her mother’s writings when she wanted to gather knowledge about healing, and herbs in general. She sat down and began to peer through on the different injuries and symptoms of heavy falls or unlucky hits. The cat was sitting patiently on the counter, washing himself with his pink little tongue.

She finished only a few pages when twilight deepened to the velvet black of night. She put the book pages downward on the table, stepped to the window, and pulled the curtains. The gray cat was following all of her movements as if waiting for something.
‘Don’t be greedy, you had enough scraps from the table.’ Sharla shook her head. The tomcat answered with a soft purr. He slowly stood up, thoroughly stretched all of his limbs, including the tiny claws on the tip of his toes on his paws. His yellow eyes were on the girl again. Sharla looked back at the feline creature, and for an unknown reason a kind of uneasy feeling was beginning to build up inside her. She couldn’t tell why, she couldn’t tell what, but something was amiss there. She was already back next to the chair where she had been reading moments ago, but did not sit down. She grabbed the book, closed it, and put it back on the table without even looking. She was staring at the cat, and the tomcat was staring back at her with its yellow eyes. Sharla already noted that the furry creature was a bright one, but now his gaze looked too intelligent compared to a simple animal. The few moments that had passed felt like hours. The tomcat moved again, it jumped off the counter just as easily as it got onto the top.

Only a split second later after he landed the feline creature began to tremble. Not his body, but rather his form, his outlines. As if he suddenly became the clay of an unknown force that wanted to create from one living sculpture another one. Sharla backend startled till her waist hit a counter in the other side of the small room. The little grey creature was growing bigger. Whatever was happening to him, it happened fast, yet the girl saw everything as if all the motion and shifting was slowed down. As his form became larger it got different proportions. His tail grew shorter and shorter until it vanished. Paws resembled more and more hands and feet, until they became those.  The lean body transformed into a muscular torso. The thin limbs became arms and legs with great strength �"though not into a robust form. The new body parts fitted perfectly the strong, muscular man that was standing in place of the cat. The gray fur vanished, instead the little bit rough features had black beard, eyebrows and shaggy, few inches long hair, the yellow eyes changed their colours to brown, although there was still something beast like in the look of the stranger. Most surprisingly �" and most reassuringly �" the man had all of his clothes on him, a well-worn dark shirt, an unidentifiable colour cloak, dark grey trousers and black boots. With a second shocked glance Sharla noticed that the man was not only clothed, but he had all his equipment as well. A big backpack, something long covered and tied into dirty cloth, and a long sword strapped on his back. Sharla was at a loss of words, and had no idea what to do or even how to act in such a situation. Well, who wouldn’t be shocked to see a stray cat transform into a man in front of their eyes in their own home? Yet the stranger was only smiling calmly as if nothing extraordinary had happened seconds ago.
‘Ah yes, I wanted to say thanks for the dinner, but unfortunately I can’t talk in shape shifted form.’ The man cleared his throat rather nervously before he continued. His voice was deep and calming. ‘It’s nice to finally meet you in person Sharla.’



© 2017 Celestirys


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on March 7, 2017
Last Updated on March 7, 2017
Tags: fantasy magic war village city a