Feeding on Feelings

Feeding on Feelings

A Poem by Neva Flores Smith - Changefulstorm
"

staggering backwards into two seconds ago............

"

He tore himself apart for breakfast until he resembled the seasons that were running down the unimportant streets of silence.  
Hoping for an endless meal because he was afraid he had seen this all before and was simply famished.

A creature observed the return of a shower of attention and suddenly found itself hiding in the back of his kitchen, while silence took the risk of creating fireworks in both their minds.

Ice-water peered cautiously over the rim of his glass as it gathered as if waiting for back up, with an agitation that was all too familiar it called out in a voice that toppled over the realization that it was permanently trapped.

A tangle of small wonder that called itself understanding did not trust the voices of time as they had become wildly deformed and held onto the same chill as the glass that stared back with no apology.  

The next instant brought a sudden end that urgently painted torrents of strange confusion into everything else. Yet when he asked what had happened the creature played hell for a couple of minutes as it staggered backwards into two seconds ago.

He swung around looking in the back of his kitchen for advice, deeply troubled as ice-water seemed to form in his veins.  He existed by nourishing himself with his own feelings and yet was still hungry.  The creature knew as it watched him advance to the back of his kitchen that the man’s hunger had not been appeased.   

The creature cringed with the same fear as the ice-water peering over the rim of his glass knowing it was trapped.  It watched as he advanced to take his next bite with eyes as cold as the glass where the ice-water was trapped.

Nourishment was at hand within the feelings of the creature……as he closed in I realized the creature in the back of his kitchen, was me.

© 2011 Neva Flores Smith - Changefulstorm


Author's Note

Neva Flores Smith - Changefulstorm
About emotional verbal abuse, not about current events, more of an experiment in writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ill call this a stoem part story part poem...now for the write

Very different piece from you Neva, I like it when you experiment and play here, there is this gorgeous dark side to you that you hold close but when you allow it out it plays with such depth and emotion. Let it out to play more and let us see the "real" Neva, if you dare...

Says the Serpent to the Angel

You know I like it :)


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Such a different write for you Neva. Much more urgent, raw and dark. I loved it and I guess I agree with A. You have a dark side to you that is full of this rich urgency. Play more!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Some great analogizes to describe those who abuse... all they do is take and take emotionally from loved ones in order to make themselves feel better.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This story is a perfect example of how we can damage with our words as much as we can with our fists. The tension constricted the air from my lungs.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
?
This was an awesome read. The imagery was wonderful. A very emotive piece.

The battle usually is with ones self. Or of ourselves.
The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin'.


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

love the ending of this. you take such a simple moment in time and transform it into a novel-like poem.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I noticed that you didn't have a picture this time, which is quite strange since you always have one.

Wow, this was oddly eerie. Facing yourself? I remember exploring the idea myself. All you have is yourself in the end, and sometimes that isn't enough. Sometimes you're looking for someone else to help you. It's a scary thing, to know that you're truly alone come time to face your fears.

I hope life gets better for you, Neva. This really hits true to home.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have a different format here Neva. A sort of experiment. You have succeeded in your mission I can say. The song portrays a deep feeling with such strong imagery. The props you have selected well suits the feeling. Well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is in a different format, I find. Very emotional with a deep imagery. You have a good experiment here. I think the experiment is a success. All the props you have selected suits to portray the deep feeling. I love your experiment.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This has great imagery and a wide array of emotions poured into the piece. The last line is a real catcher. The creature was him the whole time.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am so excited to read something like this from you, not that I didnt think you could, its just not like anything I have ever read from you before, though your style is great this is a refreshing side for you...a most wonderful and enjoyful piece...no matter what at times we can never please ourselves the creature from within feeds off of our own fears and troubles.
Excellent!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1252 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 2, 2011
Last Updated on July 3, 2011
Tags: prose, bizarre, feelings, emotional abuse

Author

Neva Flores Smith - Changefulstorm
Neva Flores Smith - Changefulstorm

GA



About
Hello, I am Neva, 4i, from Atlanta, Georgia. My latest book and videos: My latest book - Mailing Letters to the Moon rm_f1st('6','182','true','false','000000','av2j3.. more..

Writing