Gay or Straight?

Gay or Straight?

A Story by Ellen Roberts
"

A bisexual man falls in love.

"

                                Gay or Straight?

      By Ellen Roberts Copyright 2015

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                “Another scintillating book club,” Kyla Rae Robinnette said sarcastically to herself. She walked through and saw someone who nearly made her drop her bagel and lox. A tall man with long red hair (it went to the nape of his neck) with grey streaks  was talking to someone. He turned toward her, and she nearly had a coronary. His eyes were brilliant blue and he had as stellar smile. “Nigel Reese, ma’am , how are you?” He was the spitting image of a character Kyla created in one of her novels. His name was Richard O’Leary and he starred in one of her raunchiest romance novels. The book was a best seller. She was looking at its star.”Hello, Mr. Reese, I am Kyla Robinnette ,pleased to meet you.” Kyla held out her free hand while putting a death grip on her saucer. “I just moved here from London . I am setting up a law practice in Denver.” “I’m a writer and screenwriter,” Kyla said rather flirtatiously. Kyla told herself “ It isn’t him.””I am from Golden”,Kyla volunteered ; feeling like a giddy school girl who has  met her favorite crush.  “ I heard that city is lovely I would love a tour if you are so inclined. Perhaps we could meet for coffee?”, Nigel asked politely. “I’m about to go on a book tour.Perhaps in a few weeks? “ They exchanged numbers after Kyla put her saucer down.

                Four weeks went by and Kyla didn’t hear from Nigel. She was ambivalent about the date anyway. Kyla had been a widow five years after her husband ,Trevor, died of lung cancer. She rarely dated and didn’t believe in pre-marital sex or one night stands. She was active at Park Hill Presbyterian and was thinking about becoming a deacon. Her Penny Stiles novels were selling so well that she bought a small Victorian in Park Hill. It was slightly smaller than her old house. It had two bedrooms and a basement. There was also a small attic. She converted it into a small studio. She hung paintings in her bedroom but didn’t hang them around the house. She was embarrassed at how her paintings looked. She did enjoy painting , though. After Kyla noticed that Nigel hadn’t called she made a decision. She would start dating again. Perhaps she could try some of the online dating services for older clients on the internet.

                Nigel sat in his den with a lit cigar in his hand. He fingered the number from Kyla and contemplated calling her. A Bisexual , Nigel’s last affaire ended badly. He dated men and women but stayed celibate since he was eighteen. The man he had dated wanted to have sex so he cut him loose. Nigel became aware of his sexuality during the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. He said to himself that death wasn’t worth sex. He saw many friends succumb to the disease over the years which kept his resolve to remain celibate until he was married. He preferred the idea of marrying a woman since he was Roman Catholic. His last several affaires were with men. One was with a Catholic priest. The priest broke it off and reinstated his vows.

                Nigel didn’t understand the look in Kyla’s eyes when he met her. Her eyes were green and lit up like fire flies,her hand was trembling and a little sweaty. Her brown skin glowed in the lights of the hotel where the book club was convening. Her smile was wide and radiant and her long, curly hair moved with an excitement.  It was as if he was meeting and old acquaintance after a long absence. He could feel chills down his spine as they exchanged pleasantries He took a puff from his cigar and picked up the phone.He dialed her number; not knowing what he was going to say .

                Kyla was painting in the attic. She was between projects right now. The phone rang downstairs. Kyla dropped what she was doing and raced downstairs. She picked it up; out of breath. “Hello?””Hello, Kyla it’s Nigel Reese from the book club last month?” “Oh, hello , Mr. Reese “ (Kyla’s heart began to beat irradically ) “I hope you remember me” (How could she forget?)

“Oh, yes, Mr. Reese”
“Call me Nigel, Kyla”

“Nigel, are you still in the mood for a tour of Golden?”

“Yes I am. Is there a place where we could meet?”

“There’s a coffee shop I used to go to near my old house; we could meet there.” Kyla gave him the directions , and they planned on meeting at noon on Saturday.

                Kyla cursed loudly as her phone said 12:15. She was late because her battery died and she needed a jump. She prayed that Nigel would still be there. She squealed when she saw him sitting on the patio at the coffee shop. Kyla parked in front of the coffee shop. It was still an hour until the lunch hour, and there were spots available. The shop was named “Jitter’s “ ; a small local chain. Kyla closed her door and wanted to run to Nigel and hug him. She controlled her urge and smiled brilliantly at Nigel. Nigel stood up at her approach like the gentlemen he was. He stretched out his hand and said, “ I ‘m glad you could make it, Kyla.” “I’m sorry that I am late.” Shaking his hand. “I had car trouble and my phone was dying.”Kyla’s eyes met Nigel’s and she smiled. She couldn’t stop smiling.It wasn’t that he looked like one of her characters anymore; Nigel exuded warmth and kindness. They sat at a table under the shade of the awning and ordered coffee and pastries. Nigel said “ The only “Kyla Robinnette “  I found on the internet was the author of “Life On Meds; My Struggle With Bipolar Disorder”  Is that you?” Nigel looked up from his phone and smiled . That set Kyla at ease.  “Yes , that was my first book; I wrote it after I graduated from college with an English degree. Is that a deal -breaker, Nigel? I would understand.” “No, my dear Kyla. On the contrary I am impressed with your intelligence, talent, and resilience. “ Kyla smiled. She felt Nigel’s hand on hers and he squeezed. Okay she was ready to bear this man’s children. Kyla was 45 and still felt young. Her depressions challenged her to remain thin. At 22 she was challenged by her doctor to lose 65 pounds. She has since kept it off with diet and exercise. Kyla said “ I’ve been stable on meds for 20 years I had two manic attacks while in college when I was first diagnosed. As long as I take my meds I don’t get manic or depressed. Sometimes I have to adjust my medication because my body gets used to the meds” “Yes, Kyla, I spoke with a psychiatrist friend of mine and he explained the illness to me. I hope we can get together again sometime. Perhaps I could make you dinner.”Kyla grinned and said. “ I would like that , Nigel. After coffee we can take that tour of my old  neighborhood. After their coffee , Kyla walked Nigel around the neighborhood. She took him to her old house that she grew up in. It was a two story Victorian much like the house she had in Park Hill. Nigel told Kyla that he was celibate since the AIDS epidemic during the eighties. He didn’t tell her he was bisexual.

                He would have to tell her soon. He didn’t know how she would handle it. The last girlfriend he had dumped him when he told her. She felt  he couldn’t stay faithful to her and that he would cheat on her with a man. Nigel was exclusive with his relationships. He never cheated on a person with the opposite sex. People think that bisexuals have no moral compass. That is not true. Nigel was Roman Catholic. He grew up in Catholic school and his mother was Catholic. In law school he went to a progressive Catholic church. It was there that he met and dated a priest. The priest broke the relationship off after feeling guilty and renewed his vows to God. Nigel  renewed his religion in his mid-thirties after a period of hard drinking and drugs. He realized that he wanted a relationship with God and went back to church.

                Several weeks after their coffee date, Kyla and Nigel were inseparable. They called each other daily and met for coffee several times. Kyla cried to herself one night when she realized that she was falling for this man. He was handsome,intelligent, funny, and smelled like clovers and cigars which drove her wild with desire every time they hugged. They had not kissed, however. Kyla got into the habit of sending “good morning” and “good night" texts on Nigel’s phone. A few weeks later Nigel asked Kyla to have dinner at his condo downtown. They had roast and shepherd’s pie , salad and  cheese cake for desert. They drank wine from Italy. Kyla told Nigel about her love for Italy and all things Italian. She spoke fluent Italian and learned through books and tapes. Her favorite restaurant was Spiro’s, an Italian restaurant in Lodo. They had opera singers who sang during the dinner hour. She spoke Italian with the waiters. Nigel  was titillated when he learned that Kyla spoke Italian. He spoke French and Portuguese and only a little Italian. He also learned Latin.

He wanted this night to be special because he finally wanted to kiss Kyla. They settled down in front of the TV to watch “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” It was his favorite movie. As they watch the film , Nigel put his arm around Kyla. Kyla responded by putting her hand on his right leg. Nigel felt himself aroused. Chills went down his spine. When the credits started rolling Nigel turned off the movie and looked at Kyla. Her green eyes sparkled with desire. Nigel felt Kyla’s hand on his cheek ; he was drawn in and kissed her lips. As they kissed , Kyla opened her mouth to receive his tongue. A shot of desire went through Nigel. He wanted to be on top of her. He guided her body down on the sofa. He felt no resistance and was excited by that. They lay on the sofa for what seemed to be an eternity and explored each other’s bodies. When Nigel wanted to take Kyla’s blouse off he stopped. With a sigh , he got up from the couch and went to the bathroom where he cried tears of joy for meeting Kyla. Kyla was puzzled at Nigel’s going to the bathroom. She wanted to take her blouse off.

She had felt such loneliness after the death of her husband she started drinking wine and going to bars late at night. She would meet someone and make-out with him, but she never had one-night stands. She started to learn Italian in preparation for a trip to Italy but she never had the courage to go. She didn’t want to be alone and she didn’t want to go with a companion. She thought that she might get ripped off and stranded. None of her friends were interested in going. She continued to learn Italian and became fluent although with an American accent.

Nigel came out of the bathroom and asked Kyla if she wanted more wine. Kyla said “no” and said that she had to go to the bathroom as well. Kyla looked through Nigel’s medicine cabinet and found something suspicious. She found a prescription that didn’t look familiar and took a picture of if with her phone. She just wanted to make sure Nigel was being honest about his being celibate. She was in love with him. She didn’t want to lose him. It would break her heart.

                The next day Nigel sent Kyla a huge bouquet of red and white roses. In the card, Nigel wrote “White is for friendship, red; passion. My heart is ready. I love you. Sincerely, Nigel” Kyla stood on the porch of her house and cried for fifteen minutes. She was deeply touched by Nigel’s gift. She went to Tiffany’s web site and picked out a pocket watch. She sent it to Nigel’s work because she couldn’t remember his home address. It was a busy day at the office for Nigel. He was getting in his office when he found a package on his desk. It was from Kyla. He opened it and nearly dropped it ; it was so beautiful. A white -gold pocket watch with a chain and a clip to hold it in place on a pair of pants. The face was gold and there was diamonds for the numbers which were inscribed in Roman Numerals on the face. His hands trembled as he read the inscription “All my heart, Nigel. Love, Kyla Rae Robbinnette.” Nigel realized that he would have to tell Kyla about his sexuality. He cried because he might lose a woman whom he worshipped and adored.

At dinner, Nigel seemed distracted, Kyla noticed. He was wearing the watch Kyla gave him. He wore it daily and people noticed. He would say” It’s a gift from my ladyfriend”. After desert , Nigel poured Kyla a glass of wine. He poured himself and double-scotch, no ice. He thought he would need a strong drink. “Kyla , I need to tell you something about myself that is very personal. I must tell you this before we go on in our relationship. “ Kyla knew it. He was gay. Kyla talked to her doctor and the prescription she found was given to people who were exposed to HIV. She was glad she never had sex with Nigel although she did kiss. The doctor said a person can’t get HIV from kissing. Kyla steeled herself. Would this be a deal-breaker for her? She didn’t know.

“Kyla, I am bi-sexual. I date exclusively the person I am with. I do not cheat on a person with the opposite sex. I am celibate but I do take a medication that protects me from HIV. You are not in any danger of getting HIV, Kyla” Kyla took Nigel’s hand and said , “ It’s alright , Nigel.. I believe you and I love you” Nigel took a trembling hand and took a big sip of his drink. “Thank you my darling” They kissed and said good night.

A week went by and no calls or texts from Kyla. Nigel was afraid she was having second thoughts. Kyla was getting severely depressed. It took her off guard because she had been so happy lately. She stopped working and answering the phone and her door. Two weeks later, she looked at her journal and realized her depression. She called her psychiatrist a week later. She was prescribed a new medication. She started to come out of the depression and realized she had not talked to Nigel in a month.

Nigel was beside himself with worry over Kyla. He called and  texted and sent flowers but there was not answer. After a distracted day at work, Nigel went to Kyla’s house. He bought some red roses and brought them with him to Kyla’s .He knocked on the door and when Kyla answered he nearly shouted with joy. “Kyla, darling, are you alright?” Nigel asked gently. Kyla realized that she hadn’t been in contact with Nigel for a month.  “Come in, honey, I’ll explain.” As they sat down on the couch , Kyla explained that she had had a depressive episode and apologized for not calling. She received the flowers and plants that Nigel sent from a neighbor who dropped them by yesterday. “Darling, Nigel said with a trembling voice, “I thought you had broken "up with me”, Nigel cried. Kyla hated seeing a  sensitive man like Nigel cry. She put her hand on his cheek and said “I am so sorry, I was exhausted. I lose track of time when I am so depressed. “ She kissed him and he stopped crying. Nigel explained his romantic relationships throughout his lifetime. He also talked about dating the priest. Kyla was surprised to hear about the priest but she was sure that Nigel never had sex.

Nigel came over to Kyla’s house and surprised her with a trip to Southampton , England to see his family. Kyla arranged for some time off after her latest book tour. Nigel seemed a little too excited for this trip. As they sat in DIA, Nigel was a little nervous. Kyla was nervous too. She wanted his family to like her. Kyla was surprised to find that Nigel’s parents were still alive. Kyla’s parents were dead. Nigel’s parents met them at Heathrow and they drove Southampton. It took about three hours. Kyla was tired and agitated during the trip. Nigel was happy to see his parents and siblings. Tim and Sarah Reese and his older brother Tristan and his younger sister Mary. At the house they had a late supper and Sarah Reese showed Kyla pictures of Nigel growing up and going to college. Kyla wasn’t quite used to English food. The eggs were underdone and the vegetables were overcooked.The bacon had too much fat in it. She kept her complaints to herself so as not to upset Sara who did most of the cooking. The next day they went to London and did some sight- seeing all  day. They got home late and Nigel said they were getting up early the next morning to go to the light house. Kyla loved light houses but was puzzled as to why they were going so early tomorrow. Nigel said that the day after they would be going to Paris.

At the lighthouse, Kyla was barely awake. Nigel packed some coffee and bagels and lox for a snack. The lighthouse was old. It was painted with red and white stripes with a house attached to it. Kyla wanted to go into the house but Nigel said the curator closed it for the summer. Nigel and Kyla climbed the spiral, metal staircase to the top where the light was. Nigel’s hands were sweaty. Kyla got suspicious that something was going to happen. Nigel handed Kyla a box when they went outside. Kyla opened it. It was a leather KJV Bible with a leather case. The name embossed on it was “Kyla Reese” . It dawned on Kyla that Nigel was proposing. With tears in his eyes, Nigel got on one knee, took her hand and said” Kyla Rae Robbinnette, will you marry me?” Kyla shouted “Yes!”. Nigel got up and they embraced as the wind fluttered on the lighthouse. Nigel took out a ring box, opened it and put the ring on Kyla’s finger. It fit perfectly. Nigel had asked her ring size “for general information” several weeks earlier. Nigel said there was lunch ready in the house. He had paid the curator extra to open the house and grounds. They had chicken and egg salad with greens and cheese cake for desert. Kyla liked the coffee. Nigel said it was special order from Buckingham Palace.  Kyla was impressed. Nigel got a fire going in the fireplace in the living room. Kyla got up and sat on Nigel’s lap. Facing him she kissed him passionately and said” I don’t think I can wait much longer”. Nigel buried his face in Kyla’s bosom. He stood , took Kyla’s hand, and led her upstairs to the bedroom. Their lovemaking was passionate and urgent. Kyla’s cries of desire were loud. She hoped they were alone in the house.

Six months flew by as Kyla and Nige planned their wedding. Nigel would fly out his family and friends for the event. The colors will be lavender, pink, and white. They would have the wedding in Nigel’s church and he would wear a kilt since he is part Welsh. Kyla was puttering around the house since she had time off from writing for the wedding when a call came through. It was a number she didn’t recognize. Two weeks before the wedding and Kyla was blissful. 

“Hello?” Kyla thought maybe it was one of Nigel’s friends calling about wedding plans.

“Hello, Mrs. Robbinnette? “

“Yes?”

“I am Terence Howard. I attended school with Nigel. He is my best friend and I am to be Best Man at your wedding.”

“Mr. Howard I am looking  forward to meeting with you. When will you be flying out?”

“I am flying out next week. I would like to have coffee with you”

“That would be great how would Tuesday sound?”

“Yes, I am flying in on Monday.”

“I will see you then, Mr. Howard”

“It’s Terence, Kyla. “

Kyla became very busy with preparations. She met Nigel’s co-workers at the law firm and a good number of his friends .They were mostly well-to-do intellectuals. She was bit intimidated by their success and brain power.

                Terence met Kyla at the coffee shop in the Tattered Cover in Lodo. Terence shook her hand and they ordered coffee and pastries. Terence told Kyla he met Nigel in first form in primary school. Kyla told Terence that she was born in Golden, CO and met her first husband, Trevor, in High School. She was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder while she was married to Trevor. She went to college while Trevor worked as an electrician. He died of lung cancer several years ago. Terence asked Kyla if she minded that Nigel smoked cigars. She said no that she minded heavy smoking. Terence asked Kyla what Nigel told her of his dating history. Kyla told Terence that Nigel had dated a priest and that he was Bisexual. Terence shook his head slowly and said “ Kyla , Nigel is gay. He only dates women to achieve professional advancement.” Kyla was shocked at this statement. “If you call yourself his best friend why would you tell me this a week before the wedding?” Kyla’s hands shook as she sipped her coffee. She felt like slapping him.

“Kyla, Nigel is not only lying to you; he is lying to himself”

“What do you mean?”

“Nigel came out to me as a bisexual when he was eighteen. He had an affair with the rugby coach and dated a girl to get on the rugby team. They were engaged until the girl found him with the coach and broke up with him. “ Kyla sat silently sipping her coffee.

“You think Nigel is lying to me?”

Terence said, “Yes.”

“I should call off the wedding?”

“At lease confront him with this.”

“Terence, I understand what you are saying to me but I trust Nigel not to cheat on me. “

“Kyla, think about what I am saying to you.”

They ordered more coffee and Kyla asked Terence questions about Nigel’s youth. She managed to laugh at the stories Terence told. Kyla got home and got undressed and took a bath. She dressed in office attire because she planned on going to Nigel’s office and talk to him. It was busy during the first few days of the week. Kyla called Nigel and got his voicemail. Kyla said “Nigel, I need to talk to you . Terence thinks you are lying to me and that you are gay and that you will cheat on me. I cancelled the bride’s breakfast. I have to talk to you this afternoon. Bye”’ Twenty minutes later Kyla got a message” “Kyla,Darling, Terence is WRONG. You have ignited a passion in me that knows no bounds. I would NEVER commit adultery on you. Don’t cancel any more wedding plans until we can talk. My docket is full until 3 o’clock Come by the office then. I love you, Darling.” Kyla cried tears of relief. As Kyla recalled the intensity and passion of their lovemaking, she disregarded Terence’s comments. At 3:30 Kyla arrived at Nigel’s office. The receptionist guided her back to his office. Nigel had his back to Kyla and was seated reading a file. She knocked and Nigel turned around . His eyes lit up brightly and he smiled at her. Kyla couldn’t wait to be in his arms. They embraced for a long time. Kyla said, “I thought Terence wanted to talk about the wedding but he dropped this bomb-shell on me. “Kyla started to cry. She was wearing glasses because she had been crying so much it irritated her contacts. Nigel gently took her eyeglasses off and placed him on his desk. He wiped Kyla’s tears from her which made her cry more. He took a hanky out of his pocket and wiped her eyes and said “Terence misunderstands my intentions with you. I didn’t tell him about us until we were engaged. “

“Nigel, I so want to be your wife,”

“Darling , I consider you to be my wife already. We are bound together body and soul.’

Kyla said “ I will reschedule the Bride’s Breakfast for later in the week. It will make things busier. I’m glad we talked.  I don’t feel like going home yet. Can I hang out with you?”

Nigel said, “I’m due in court in a half an hour. You can stay and watch if you like. We can go home after work and I will make dinner, my love.”

“I need to go to the restroom and freshen up, “ Kyla said. Nigel guided her to the door of his office and called a paralegal to guide Kyla to the restroom. He watched her go out of his sight. Then he punched the file cabinet until it almost fell over. The office was silent. Then he called Terence on his phone. He got his voicemail. “What the F**k! Terry?! Are you TRYING to RUIN my life?! I need to talk to you NOW!” Nigel met with Terence that night and put him straight about his love for Kyla. Terence planned to apologize to Kyla for the misunderstanding.

                It was a few days before the wedding. Nigel told Kyla that he had set Terrence straight and that he still wanted him to be Best Man. Kyla acquiesced to his request. Kyla was getting ready for the bride’s breakfast when a knock was heard at the door of her house.  Kyla went to the door. It was Terence ,and he was holding a bouquet of white roses. Kyla smiled and let him in. “Kyla, I am so sorry to have caused you so much pain. Please accept this gift as a token of my regret.” Kyla accepted the roses and put them in a vase. They came into the house and sat in the living room. “ Nigel expressed to me how much he loves you, Kyla. I was wrong to assume it was because he started a practice in America; that he needed a beard to look successful. “ “I understand , Terence. I told you that I trust Nigel with all my heart.” “ Such trust is earned , Kyla, he has earned your trust. I was wrong to doubt him. “ Kyla said she had to get ready for the breakfast but they would talk more later. Terence embraced Kyla and left.

                After the wedding, Kyla and Nigel spent three weeks in Italy. They toured Rome and Tuscany. Kyla was so impressed with Vatican City that she said she wanted to convert to Catholicism. Nigel cried and kissed Kyla passionately. It took a  year to sell Nigel’s condo. Kyla converted to Catholicism six months after she was married. Nigel bought her a gold crucifix and a lace prayer veil to wear to church. Nigel never pressured Kyla to convert but was thrilled that she had decided to.

                A week after Kyla returned from her honeymoon, Kyla received some flowers in her wedding colors. It was from Henry Watanabe. She had dated him before she met Nigel. He broke the relationship off because he met a Japanese woman that he wanted to marry. Henry and Kyla kept in touch through e-mail and social media. Kyla read his letter. It sounded as if he was glad she was married but that he regretted his decision to stop dating her and marry the Japanese woman. Nigel wanted to know who sent her the flowers. She said it was a friend of hers. He asked ,“What friend?” She said it was someone she used to date but got married to someone else. Nigel smiled and said, “ Well, darling, I don’t mind that you are still friends. I have friends like that myself.” Kyla didn’t want to know the details behind that comment. “Keep the flowers from your friend,” Nigel said cheerfully. Kyla was relieved. She was glad that Nigel wasn’t jealous.

                Kyla liked the way “Kyla Reese “looked on the Bible Nigel gave her so she changed her name legally. On her next novel it read “Kyla Reese, formerly known as Kyla Robbinnette.” The next two years went swimmingly. Kyla’s writing career was successful and Nigel’s firm was making good money. The Reeses visited Italy quite often and were thinking about buying a villa in Tuscany.

                At dinner Nigel was reading a pamphlet from Catholic Charities. Kyla asked him about it. Nigel said that since they were doing so well financially that they should adopt a couple of kids. Kyla reminded Nigel of her Bipolar disorder and that this disqualified her from most adoption agencies. Nigel said he called Catholic Charities and they said they would need proof of Kyla’s stability on medication and that she  would have to partake in a review by one of their psychiatrists every six months to a year until the children reached the age of eighteen. “I don’t know  , honey, I would make a terrible mother. I would raise a serial killer. “ Nigel laughed “I think you would be great as a mother, Darling. “

                A year passed and Kyla thought Nigel had dropped the subject of adoption.One day, Nigel gave Kyla a flier. It was Catholic Charities again. They were featuring a game night to show off kids who were available for adoption. “They can’t be younger than 12, Nigel, I can’t stand small children; I haven’t the patience for them. “ Nigel chuckled, “Granted, my Darling.”They went to the game night. There, a sixteen-year-old boy was sitting in front of a chess board. Kyla was in chess club in high school. “Hey, what’s your name?” “Andre Morissey, ma’am. “ He was Hispanic and had expressive brown eyes. “Do you want to play?”, Kyla asked.  Andre’s eyes lit up at her question. Kyla sat down and they played 2 games. She won a game and he won a game (she let him win).She was impressed with Andre. He did well in school and wanted to be a policeman. Later that evening , Kyla noticed a 13-year-old girl sitting by herself. They got to talking and Kyla found out that her name was Skylar Parker. They talked about school and Boy Bands. Skylar talked about losing her grandmother when she was six. Her parents are incarcerated. Skylar  had bright blue eyes and white-blonde hair. She was wearing a pink princess dress but she said they made her wear it ; she preferred jeans.

                On the way home, they discussed Skylar and Andre. Nigel liked a six year-old boy but Kyla refused to be persuaded. They discussed it further and decided to adopt Andre and Skylar. They went through parenting classes and the vetting process from Catholic Charities. After a couple of months it was official. Skylar and Andre were their children. Kyla had the extra bedroom converted for Skylar and planned to use the basement for Andre. Nigel insisted that they share the room and let Andre move to the basement in a year. He wanted them to get to know one another. That would prove to be a mistake later.

                Kyla’s first six-month review went well. The kids seemed to be getting along. Having older children was still exhausting for Kyla but she and Nigel loved it. Kyla had a special song for each child that she sang as they cuddled. Even Andre needed to cuddle sometimes. Andre was growing large and started to play football in a few months at the private school that Nigel picked out. It had an English -style system of education that Nigel approved of. Nigel tutored both children and was very inspiring but strict. He got close to Skylar and considered her his girl. He was distant and strict with Andre. Kyla thought Nigel was imitating the kind of relationship he had with his father. Kyla encouraged Nigel to have play dates with Andre. They would go to football games and play video games at the arcade.

                Six months later , Skylar had her check-up. It was discovered that she had a yeast infection. This concerned Kyla because when she was Skylar’s age she would get yeast infections because she was being molested by her uncle. Her uncle went jail on another charge and Kyla never disclosed the abuse. She saw a therapist later on after being diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder.Kyla was alarmed but put it in the back of her mind until Skylar got another yeast infection six months later. The doctor told her that Skylar was about to start her menstrual cycle and the chemicals in her body were changing and that is why she was getting yeast infections. Kyla wasn’t convinced. She contacted the police who started their own investigation. They interviewed Nigel and Andre as a part of the investigation. It was revealed through talking to Andre that he was molesting Skylar. He admitted to molesting and raping her in the bedroom as she slept. An interview was conducted with Skylar and it was revealed that he was going to her bed at night. Skylar revealed that she was afraid of being sent back to Catholic Charities if she told on Andre. Catholic Charities admitted that Andre’s uncle had molested his sisters and that Andre may have been imitating the uncle. Nigel considered a lawsuit against Catholic Charities for not disclosing this information before the adoption of the children. Kyla talked him out of it because it was a non-profit that had limited funds to pay for a lawsuit. Nigel agreed. He had Andre sent to a facility in Pueblo called Swallow Hill Behavioral Health. He negotiated a plea deal where Andre would stay at Swallow Hill until he was deemed not a danger to children or himself.Nigel took a year sabbatical from work and home-schooled Skylar while she had therapy with a well-known child psychologist. Nigel didn’t put her back in the private school she went to. She went to a private high school in the Denver area. Afraid of Nigel’s being a lawyer, Catholic Charities was very careful with the reviews they gave Kyla after this incident.

                 Skylar graduated high school with honors and decided to be a pre-med student in College. She was a sophomore while Andre stayed at Swallow Hill. His psychiatrist and therapist said that Andre had deep personality issues from being separated from his parents and living in an abusive household with his uncle. Nigel had a habit of riding his Vespa to  and from work. On a rainy night, Nigel was hit by a truck and died instantly. His death devastated Skylar and she took some time out from school. Andre remained indifferent as Nigel never visited him at Swallow Hill. Kyla visited every weekend and would take clothes to him every year. Kyla tried to convince Nigel to visit Andre but he refused citing his close relationship with Skylar. Nigel expressed regret in adopting an older boy like Andre.

                After some time off, Skylar went back to school in Boulder. Kyla remained a Catholic in memory of her husband. In fact for two years straight she attended Mass every day at their church. Kyla avoided dating to help Skylar heal. She was very close to her adopted father. Kyla missed Nigel very much. She couldn’t see herself dating anyone and didn’t pursue any dating arrangements. She focused on getting Skylar in medical school. Andre was allowed to visit Kyla on the weekends but his situation was still precarious. She made sure Skylar was not staying with her when Andre was visiting. Skylar wasn’t bitter about Andre after she learned of his situation. She forgave Andre.

                Kyla contemplated moving to New York where Skylar was accepted in medical school. She thought better of it for Andre’s sake. She needed to be close to him in case he was released. He could live with her if he was released. During this time Henry started to write to Kyla quite frequently. His wife died of stage 4 breast cancer two years ago. He was thinking of moving to Denver to start a new real estate business. Kyla didn’t think any romantic thoughts about henry until one letter from him that touched her heart. Henry sent flowers to her every anniversary of her wedding and finally told her why. He wanted to marry her someday. It was before the death of his wife. He was happily married  but thought that he should keep his heart warm for her in case they could get together in the future. She was the other reason he was moving to Denver. He knew the situation with Andre and Skylar and expressed amazement at Kyla’s fortitude and love for Andre. He was coming to Denver in the summer to scout apartments and condos and wanted to meet for coffee. Kyla agreed.

                In July, Kyla met with Henry at a small coffee shop near her house in Park Hill. She had just seen Andre and met with his treatment team. They were comfortable with Andre staying with Kyla for the summer. Kyla renovated the second bedroom and the basement in preparation of Andre’s arrival in August. Kyla was impressed with how healthy Henry looked. He said after the death of his wife he took his health more seriously. Kyla had gained fifteen pounds and had to buy new clothes. Kyla had to admit that she was getting a crush on Henry. They talked at the coffee shop for three hours. Henry said he had his eye on a condo in Littleton and would be moving to Denver by Fall. Kyla encouraged Andre’s treatment team to find a more permanent place to live after staying with her through August. She didn’t think it would be healthy for Andre to stay with her and Henry if they decided to get married. The treatment team agreed and found a group home in Denver where he could stay starting in December.

                Over the weeks  until September when Henry moved to Littleton, he wrote love letters to Kyla. They were sent snail mail and came with flowers or plants. Kyla was smitten but she was still missing her husband. She didn’t write back because she honestly didn’t know what to say. She really liked Henry but wasn’t ready for a dating relationship ;especially marriage. Henry knew that Kyla’s birthday was in December so he invited her to his condo for a special birthday dinner. There was a light powder of snow on the streets and it decorated Henry’s back porch. Henry picked Kyla up and took her to his condo. Over a dinner of Kyla’s favorites; roast chicken, spinach salad, green salad and chocolate cake for desert, Henry talked about his new business venture. It was a real estate firm that he and some college friends started. The picked Denver because the market was hot right now. They also wanted to sell time shares in the mountains for skiers. Kyla watched Henry as he talked. He had sparkling black eyes and a winning smile. Kyla wondered what his kisses were like.

                After dinner , they sat down on the couch to watch Princess Bride. It was Henry’s favorite film and Kyla liked it too. Henry put his arm around Kyla and she thought about the first time Nigel kissed her after a movie. She liked having Henry’s arm around her; it felt cozy. As the film went on she felt more comfortable with Henry. She thought about his letters and felt flattered. She didn’t want to be alone anymore. She had been there for Andre but she felt like something was missing in her life. Here was Henry. She would give him a chance. After the movie , Henry leaned over and kissed her cheek. Kyla smiled. “Too soon?”, Henry asked gently. Kyla smiled. “Not at all,” she put her hand on his cheek and leaned over to kiss him. They kissed passionately on the couch for a few minutes. Henry tasted different from her husband. He kissed differently too. She liked it. She decided to date Henry and see where it would go. Henry had already stated  that he wanted to marry her. She didn’t have to be insecure about his love.

                After a year Kyla and Henry were engaged. Henry met Andre at the group home where he was staying and Skylar when she came to Denver from New York. He asked them both permission to marry Kyla. They agreed. Kyla and Henry were married but Kyla kept her last name as Reese in memory of her second husband.  

 

© 2015 Ellen Roberts


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
Added on October 30, 2015
Last Updated on November 19, 2015

Author

Ellen Roberts
Ellen Roberts

Glendale, CO



About
I am forty-five yeas old. I have had some college but I didn't graduate. I like to write romantic stories and historical novels. more..

Writing
Homeless Homeless

A Story by Ellen Roberts