Sinners In Disguise

Sinners In Disguise

A Chapter by Kristopher
"

Tree Hill is just a place somewhere in the world. Maybe it's a lot like your world. Maybe it's nothing like it. But if you look closer, you might see someone like you. Lucas Scott comes home from his trip in New York, only to return to an unhappy mother a

"

 

Chapter Three

Sinners In Disguise

            The news that Daniel Scott was dead didn’t glean an inch of sadness for anyone. Anyone, except Karen Roe—who, after all, should’ve been the happiest woman in the world right now. Unfortunately for Lucas Scott, she wasn’t.

 

            As soon as Lucas made it to the airport and off the plane, he expected to see the cheerful mom he was always used to, instead he saw a depressed woman with dark hair that hung over his face. A woman full of melancholy, and sadness that crept into her voice even when she attempted to be happy. Even with Lucas’s wide range of vocabulary, he couldn’t think of any thing that described the way his mother looked. Instead, his mouth opted to say the first thing he could think of.

 

            “Are you alright?”

 

            Karen looked at him through the tangled mess of hair covering her dark eyes. “Lucas Eugene Scott, do I look alright?” she asked him, shooting him an angry look.

 

            “It looks like you just got into a fight with a hairbrush…I guess the hairbrush came out the victor,” Luke joked, trying to cheer her up.

 

            She slapped him across the face. The slap resonated in his ears. He glanced at her, surprised, more shocked by the onlookers of the scene than of his mother’s strike. They said nothing to each other as they walked to the car and buckled their seatbelts. Karen revved up the engine, then looked at Lucas sternly.

 

            “What is it, mom,” he asked, sensing her stare, “what could possibly be so tragic that you had to slap me in front of a crowd of strangers?” venom poured into his words like the waters of a frenzied sea.

           

            “Your father is dead,” Karen told him.

 

            “He’s been dead for a few years, mom. Don’t remind me.”

 

            “Not Keith, Luke. Dan. Dan Scott is dead.”

 

            “Then why aren’t you rejoicing,” Luke posed.

 

            “As horrible as he was to the citizens of this town, he’s still a human being, Lucas. To rejoice would to be a sin.”

 

            Lucas looked at her sharply. “Rejoicing for a dead sinner doesn’t make us, sinners too, mom.”

 

            “If that’s what you believe to keep you asleep at night,” Karen replied coldly.

 

            “Mom, what is your deal?”

 

            “He was a good man, Lucas!”

 

            “No, mom. Dan was a murderer. Dan didn’t even deserve the Scott name.”

 

            Karen didn’t say a word. She looked at her son and only one thought spawned in her head.

           

            The people of Tree Hill had become sinners. They had become sinners in disguise.



© 2008 Kristopher


Author's Note

Kristopher




A friend of mine wanted me to broaden my horizons a bit. So, I figured I'd write a fan-fiction about one of my favorite television shows: One Tree Hill.
Be rough with it guys, this is the first time I've ever stepped away from the fantasy genre, and I want to see which one works out better.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
Added on July 31, 2008


Author

Kristopher
Kristopher

My own little world.



About
I've been writing since age 12, and since then, my stories and poems have gotten better. I love giving constructive and helpful feedback, and if I do happen to comment your writing, please feel free t.. more..

Writing