Circle of Swords --- Vanguard #1

Circle of Swords --- Vanguard #1

A Chapter by Charles Crane

 

 

[Circle of Swords]

[Vanguard]

 

 

[#1]

 

 

 

By

 

[Charles Crane]

 

Draft 2.0 - [12-03-11]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1641 12th St N

Fargo, ND 58102

701-260-9425

[email protected]

 

PAGE <1>

PANEL 1

The eyes of a small boy, open wide, filled with fear.

PANEL 2

We pull out slightly and see more of his face. He is a young Telmin Frost. His face is covered in blood. He is in shock. His head is resting on snowy ground.

PANEL 3

We pull out revealing Young Telmin is lying amongst the carnage that was his family. We are in a valley. There is snow on the ground, there are there are trees standing, broken, and some burning. His mother has had the top of her head torn off. She is propped up against the wheel of the cart. His father has his gut ripped open, his entrails spilling out. His younger sisters have their throats slit and are piled on top of each other. There is snow on the ground, snow that is bathed in blood and severed body parts. A dead sell sword soldier lies next to the girls. He is burning, and so are the girls corpses.

PAGE <2>

PANEL 1

A wide shot showing a battle raging around Telmin. The forces of the Crown fighting soldiers and warriors of the rebellion. The Crown is winning. Swordsman, spearman, mages, and battle animals abound. Gore and carnage are everywhere.

PAGE <3>

PANEL 1

Telmin looking at his younger sisters as they slowly burn.

PANEL 2

A shot of his sisters burning. Their clothing was what was caught fire, but now the fire is creeping on their hair and skin. One has her eyes open and is staring right at Telmin.

PANEL 3

Another shot showing the flames consuming her flesh, burning it black, making her eyes char and look horrific.

PANEL 4

Next to Telmin, lies the sell sword. A very recognizable knife lies limply on the ground next to him. The blood of his sisters still coating the blade.

PAGE <4>

PANEL 1

Telmin lying on the ground his hand reaching out towards the knife.

PANEL 2

Telmin grasping the knife.

PANEL 3

A wider shot showing how the battle is dying down. The Crown is victorious, they are picking off the last stragglers of the rebellion and finishing off the wounded. Telmin and his dead family and their cart are the center of the shot.

PAGE <5>

PANEL 1

The scene is now empty. Only the bodies remain. Telmin is still lying down, faking dead.

PANEL 2

Telmin has sat up the dagger in his hand. He is looking at his dead family.

PANEL 3

Telmin is walking leaving his dead family behind him.

PANEL 4

Telmin walking out of their valley. The carnage is gone. Now there is only the trail of footsteps of the victorious army. Telmin is following them.

PANEL 5

A close up of young Telmin.

ALEVA OP

Telmin!

PAGE <6>

PANEL 1

Telmin Frost sits upon his mount, a kind of Tiger/horse hybrid. He is on a road looking at his destination, a giant stone castle built into the side of a mountain. He is heavily armored, his armor a dark green with leafy gold veins snaking throughout it. His helm is down obscuring his face, he has a curved sword on his side, and a longer straighter one on his back along with a icey blue shield with a sigil engraved within it. At first blush it looks like nothing more than a circle, but when viewed more closely the circle is made up of six curved blades. The blade on the bottom giving rise to a golden treelike V.

It is is an overcast day, and it seems like it is about to rain.

ALEVA (OP)

Telmin!

PANEL 2

He has lifted off his helm and has turned his face towards the reader. He has dark black hair, and extremely pale skin. His eyes are black. He is in his late thirties. He has a long hawklike nose, and healthy beard covers his jaw.

ALVEA (OP)

Im done waiting Telmin.

PANEL 3

A medium shot of Aleva. See next page for description.

ALEVA

Youve been sitting there staring at Grassans Castle for fifteen minutes.

PAGE <7>

PANEL 1

Frost has turned towards his five comrades.

1. Aleva, the speaker is a small human woman of about twenty wearing an iridescent skin suit. It isnt armor, more like a second skin. She may be slight, but her womanly figure stands out in her uniform. It has blades on the forearms that are made of the same material as the rest of the suit. She does have a wristbands with the same sigil as Frosts shield. Her blonde hair is cut short in a boy cut, and has a samuraiesque sword on her hip. She has a gunlike device strapped to her back. She is seated on an outcropping next to the road. She looks edgy and agitated. A small dragon named Granov sits beside her. He isnt large by dragon standards, but is small enough for her to ride upon  Its skin and bone structure looks similar to Alevas skin suit.

Below Aleva, down on the road with Telmin Frost are four others.

2. Gentleman Bruce, a half man half Goblin who is garbed in armor similar to Frosts, however he doesnt have nearly as much and doesnt take nearly as good care of his as Frost does. It is caked in mud and blood, but the telltale designs and sigils are still visible if faded. He is muscled and scarred. But is standing with a twisted smile on his face. Hes ready to kill people. He has the same wristbands as Aleva. A double headed axe is in his hands, and he is testing its sharpness against his finger. While he prefers his ax, he still carries the requisite guild mandatory sword at his side. He is leaning up against the outcrop.

3. Broag, a bulky and built half giant. He has a long wild beard, and stands resting upon a giant and fearsome looking spear. He has a shaven head, and wears the Sigil of the Circle of Swords as a tattoo on his forehead. Otherwise it appears nowhere else on his body. He is forever bound to House Viridian and the Circle. The others are merely contracted and bound with the wrist bands and gauntlets. A large sword by human standards, but small to him, sits upon his back.

He looks grim and in no hurry to get started.

4. Aruska, a human woman with a staff. She is a little younger than Telmin Frost, but carries herself with an experienced air. She wears a simple traveling robe, but is surrounded by the auras of charms and protective spells. She sits upon an animal similar to Telmin Frosts. She has red hair, and freckles. Instead of sword she carries a small dirk. She is the resident mage of the group.

5. Garin, a human male of about twenty five. He has long brown hair and bears his sigil as brands upon his hands. He wears armor like Telmins but has a black cloak over shoulders. He is used to warmer climate, and isnt aclimated to the cooler temperament of their current location. He is fighting off a cold and is blowing his nose. He wields a morning star and hand sword. He is standing next to his mount.

They are all sitting staring at Telmin Frost, all asking Alevas questions in their heads, inquisitive looks on their faces.

ALEVA

You mind telling us what you have planned for this?

PAGE <8>

PANEL 1

Telmin is facing the group he is looking up to her in her elevated position.

TELMIN

Well Aleva youll be in the air with Granov out of sight. Try not to get lost up there we might need you.

PANEL 2

Now the focus is on Gentleman Bruce and Broag. Gentleman Bruce looks disappointed, while Broag looks relieved.

TELMIN

Bruce and Broag stay out at a distance. I know how badly you want to be in the thick of it but we arent the most tolerant of places. They might take offense to an orc and a giant walking into their castle, whether you are a Sell Swords of the Circle or no.

GENTLEMAN BRUCE

Typical.

BROAG

It wouldve been nice to be out of it when the rain comes.

PANEL 3

Now he is looking at Aruska and Garin. They are looking at Telmin in grim acknowledgment.

TELMIN

Aruska and Garin will be going inside with me. If you are needed Aruska will send a signal. If all goes well we wont have to kill anyone, and your axe wont be needed at all.

PAGE <9>

PANEL 1

Aleva has jumped aboard Granov and has taken flight, a smile on her face. She and her dragon nearly fading into the gray sky.

The humans have mounted and have moved down the road. Bruce and Broag are skulking back behind them. Bruce is shouting out towards Telmin, while Broag is fastening a kind of rain slick atop his bald head.

GENTLEMAN BRUCE

Im getting tired of this s**t Frost! I didnt stick with House Viridian to stand in the back fiddling with my dick until you call me clean up your messes!

BROAG

Oh shut the f**k up grayskin. Our commander is a bit too optimistic. Northfolk arent ones to part with their women, no matter what promises they make. Though I pray for Grassans sake hes smart about this.

PANEL 2

Telmin is yelling over shoulder back towards Bruce and Broag. Aruska has summoned a magical standard, signaling that they have come as the Vanguard of House Viridian, and that they are in the service of Lord Percival of Dunmark.

TELMIN FROST

You are far from the back, Gentleman Bruce.

PANEL 3

A shot of our three riders. Telmin in the middle, with Aruska and Garin at his sides. Bruce and Broag are still prominent in the background; they are not far away. Aleva and Granov can be seen in the sky above.

TELMIN FROST

You are part of the Vanguard of House Viridian. We are always in the front.

PANEL 4

A close up of Telmin with his helm upon his head.

TELMIN FROST

We are the first thing and the last thing our enemies see.

PAGE <10>

PANEL 1

We are on the ramparts of Castle Grassan. Soldiers stand armed with bows, spears, swords, and gunlike weapons similar to the one Aleva carries. We can see the three riders of the Vanguard nearing the castles gates. One of the watchmen is a man named Borath, the first sword of Lord Grassan. A watchman next to him is turned speaking back to him.

WATCHMAN

Sir, three riders are approaching. They are the Vanguard of House Viridian.

PANEL 2

A medium shot of Borath looking out at the riders. He looks determined and resolute.

BORATH

They ride for Percival. Send word to the Duke, and let them in. But have our archers and Dragonshot on them as soon as they get within thirty feet of our walls.

PANEL 3

He has turned and is walking away from the ramparts. His hand on the hilt of sword.

BORATH

They go no further than the courtyard.

PAGE <11>

PANEL 1

Borath has entered the Dukes throne room. The Duke is seated next to his wife, sons, and daughters. His sons are of fighting age, and stand armored and armed. His daughters are young, the eldest 17, the other two 14 and 12. They are blonde, pure and beautiful. The youngest daughter, Eren sits upon his lap, and the Duke is holding her for dear life.

PANEL 2

Borath is kneeling before him.

BORATH

My lord, there are three riders approaching our gates from guild the Circle of Swords. They ride for Percival. What are your orders?

PANEL 3

Duke Grassan sits with a sickened expression on his face. His wife looks as if she can barely stand. Her brothers look enraged, ready for a fight. Eren simply looks frightened, and is pressing herself tighter against her father.

PANEL 4

A close up on the Dukes face.

DUKE GRASSAN

Let them in.

PAGE <12>

PANEL 1

Our riders riding through the open gates of the Castle Grassan. A marksman with his magical gun/weapon trained on them along with several others. In the sky we can see the faint hint of Aleva and Granov.

PANEL 2

The three have dismounted and are met by Borath. A horizontal view.

TELMIN FROST

I am Telmin Frost, Sell Sword of House Viridian of the Circle of Swords. We are here as envoys for Lord Percival of Dunmark.

BORATH

You are welcomed to Castle Grassan Sell Sword Frost. I am Borath first sword of Duke Grassan.

PANEL 3

A medium shot of Borath

BORATH

Your business here is fit for only the Duke himself. Set aside your weapons and follow me.

PANEL 4

Telmin is giving him the eye. Aruska is leaning in to whispher to him.

TELMIN

We shall do so such thing. We will throw down our weapons the moment your marksmen have tossed their arms over the walls of this castle.

ARUSKA

Careful Telmin

PANEL 5

Borath and Telmin having a stare down.

PANEL 6

Borath has turned his back to them.

BORATH

Very well. Follow me.

PAGE <13>

PANEL 1

Borath leading Telmin, Aruska, and Garen into the throne room. Garen and Telmin are resting their hands on the pommels of their swords as they walk. The Duchess has begun herding the younger children including Eran out of the room. His sons remain.

BORATH

Duke Grassan, the Sell Swords of House Viridian of the Circle of Swords.

DUKE GRASSAN

So the coward couldnt come to face me himself?

PANEL 2

Telmin stands a few steps ahead of Aruska and Garen, who are eyeing the crowd of soldiers and courtiers around them, looking for trouble. Telmin doesnt bow, he has simply removed his helm and stands at the ready so the Duke can see his face.

TELMIN

Lord Percival is busy with other matters at present. He hired the Circle to see that this matter is settled by the time he returns from the front.

PANEL 3

The Dukes eldest son Bryan is enraged. He has stepped forward his sword half unsheathed. The Duke has moved over separating his son from Telmin.

BRYAN

How dare you speak to my father in such a way! Slave!

DUKE GRASSAN

Bryan stop. The time for swords will come. Just not now.

 

PANEL 4

A shot of Telmin, he stands resolute.

TELMIN

Bryan Grassan, Im afraid I must remind you that as a member of a divine guild I swear fealty to no royalty, nor do I recognize no ruler other than my employer.

PANEL 5

The shot brought out a bit. Telmin is still the focus, but the Dukes daughters are prominent within it. They linger by the door they were supposed to exit through with their mother.

TELMIN

We are here employed by Baron Percival of Dunmark to retrieve his betrothed.

PAGE <14>

PANEL 1

We move in on the girls. The older ones holding Eran tightly trying to shield her from Telmins words.

TELMIN OP

Per the conditions of the agreement you Duke Grassan made in exchange for protection and assistance during the conflict with the Crown, you promised Lord Percival a daughter of his choosing.

PANEL 2

Eran stands staring at Telmin through her sisters arms, not entirely understanding what she is hearing.

TELMIN OP

He sent an envoy informing you of his choice, your youngest daughter Eran.

PANEL 3

Back to the Duke who is still standing. His sons looking twice as angry as before. He simply looks haunted and defeated.

TELMIN OP

You sent that envoy back without a head.

PANEL 4

Back to Telmin, looking saddened, but not budging and inch.

TELMIN

And now I find myself here with my Vanguard. Duke Grassan, I will leave with your daughter whether you hand her over willingly or not.

PAGE <15>

PANEL 1

The Duke looking haggard. His sons just about boiling over.

DUKE GRASSAN

What would you do if you were I? Would you send your daughter, no more than a child over to that degenerate freak?!

PANEL 2

Telmin, trying to speak reason to the Duke.

TELMIN

If that were the agreement I would have no choice Duke. You made your bed with Percival. You have no choice but to lie in it.

PANEL 3

Bryans brother Richard steps forward now with his sword fully unsheathed. The Duke cant stop both of them.

RICHARD

You will die before we let you take her!

DUKE GRASSAN

Richard No!

PANEL 4

Richard swings at Telmin, his sword grazing a magical shield that surrounds him. Telmin has otherwise maneuvered out of danger, and has unsheathed his sword.

TELMIN

Stupid boy.

PANEL 5

Telmin brings his sword up slicing Richards arm off in the middle of his forearm. Richards face is filled with shock and pain.

RICHARD

AHHHHHH!

PAGE <16>

PANEL 1

Telmin yelling across the room at large. Richard has fallen to his knees holding the stump of his hand. Telmin has placed his sword at the back of his neck. Garen has drawn his sword, Aruska is readying to cast the signal.

TELMIN

IF ANYONE UNSHEATHS A BLADE OR STEPS A FOOT TOWARDS ME THIS BOY DIES!

PANEL 2

The Duke looking placatingly at Telmin, his arms outstretched.

DUKE GRASSAN

Please, spare my son for his foolishness. You see the condition this business has us in! How can you expect us to be rational about this!? Eran is only TWELVE!

PANEL 3

Telmin leaving his sword at Richards neck. Aruska has kneeled and is casting a spell, stopping the bleeding.

TELMIN

Aruska heal his wound. As a human being my Duke I empathize but as I have said you have no choice.

PAGE <17>

PANEL 1

Duke Grassan, Borath at his side. Telmin, and Richard are visible in the foreground.

DUKE GRASSAN

I have no choice?! I think Ive made my choice very clear sell sword! That b*****d will get my daughter the same day he hands me his prick in a box!

PANEL 2

A close up of Telmins face. He has some of Richards blood on  his white skin on his face. His eyes are burning into the reader.

TELMIN

If you are resolute in this Duke, you have doomed yourself and every person in this room to death.

PAGE <18 & 19>

Two page spread of throne room as viewed from the Dukes perspective. A giant shot of Telmin, Richard, Aruska, Garen, and everyone assembled. Borath has his sword partly unsheathed. He is ready to kill. This is a money shot Greg. The tension and drama of this moment are paramount. Now I will proceed to cover up all that wonderful art I asked of you.

TELMIN

If I or my Vanguard die, either by your hand or our own, everyone in this castle, everyone living on one of your holdings or who swears fealty to you will die.

Not two leagues away sits the host of House Viridian, waiting to either receive your daughter, or to receive word of our death.

Should we die, they will march upon your castle. They will kill you and your sons and every able bodied man who raises sword against them. They will rape your wife, and your children. Who knows what suffering will come after.

When they finish there wont be any sign you were ever here.

PAGE <20>

PANEL 1

A close up of Telmin.

TELMIN

Now I ask you Duke, do you love your son? Do you love your wife, your land, your people? Do you love your daughter?

PANEL 2

The Duke has fallen into his throne. His face in his hands.

PANEL 3

Telmin again. He has lowered his sword and is sheathing it. He is approaching the Duke.

TELMIN

She will live my Lord. She will have life. And so will you, and everything you care about.

PANEL 4

Telmin again, this time sheathing his sword.

TELMIN

Eran will have to become a woman, far too soon. But I can promise you this Duke

PANEL 5

Telmin is kneeling in front of the Duke, his hand resting comfortingly on the Dukes shoulder.

TELMIN

There is always time for revenge.

PAGE <21>

PANEL 1

The Duke has removed his hands and is looking intently at Telmin.

THE DUKE

Eran come here.

PANEL 2

Eran, young, ethereal, and innocent walking towards her fathers outstretched hand.

PANEL 3

She stands, her hand in her fathers.

DUKE GRASSAN

Pleaselet me have an hour with my daughter.

TELMIN

Of course.

PANEL 4

Telmin, Aruska, and Garen silently leaving. Their weapons put away. The soldiers and guards around them still have their weapons in their hands. Its all they can do.

PANEL 5

A small panel showing the Duke holding his daughters hands in his, looking down at her in sadness and acceptance. She looking up at him with love and trust, though she has begun to understand what has happened. Tears are welling in their eyes.

PAGE <22>

PANEL 1

Telmin and the others on their mounts in the courtyard. The archers and marksmen still stand ready to kill them.

GAREN

It was foolish of them not to spread word to the rest of the castle. One of these b******s gets itchy and theyre all fucked.

ARUSKA

Shall I send out the all clear to the others Telmin

TELMIN

Wait until they bring us the girl. Its not over until we get one hundred feet from their walls.

PANEL 2

Borath has approached Telmin.

BORATH

The Duke will be coming presently with his daughter. But he requests a favor from you Sell Sword Frost---

TELMIN

Which is?

BORATH

---Your sword brothers may leave with the girl, but you are to remain behind for a moment. He wishes to speak to you privately.

TELMIN

I agree then.

PANEL 3

The Duke leading Eran outside.

PANEL 4

He has lifted her up to Aruska who is wrapping her up in her cloak.

PAGE <23>

PANEL 1

Garen and Aruska riding out of the castle.

PANEL 2

Aruska lets fly a green bolt across the sky, turning the gray sky viridian green as the air is filled with rain.

PAGE <24>

PANEL 1

Aleva flying high on Granov, bringing her and her dragon on a downward path.

ALEVA

Finally

PANEL 2

Gentleman Bruce and Broag sitting by the outcropping. Gentleman Bruce looks soaking wet and pissed and is hurriedly wrapping a cloak around himself. Broag twice as relieved as before, and considerably more dry. The two riders are close by.

GENTLEMAN BRUCE

S**t

BROAG

Well, Im glad when Im wrong

PANEL 3

The group has convened. Aleva and Granov have landed.

GENTLEMAN BRUCE

So I wasnt needed then?

GAREN

No you were not.

ALEVA

Wheres Frost?

ARUSKA

Duke Grassan wanted a word, though Im not sure why.

PAGE <25>

PANEL 1

We see Telmin Riding towards them.

ALEVA

Well whatever it was, it wasnt a knife in the back.

PANEL 2

Telmin has gotten to them. He looks like hes ready to be rid of this place.

TELMIN

We have the girl, lets go. If we take any longer the host might march anyway.

PANEL 3

They are at the camp of the host of House Viridian. Rows of tents, soldiers, war machines, mounts and the like litter the area. The detail doesnt have to be out of this world but just enough to give an idea about where they are.

PAGE <26>

PANEL 1

They have stopped in front of a tent. Telmin has dismounted and is lifting Eran down.

PANEL 2

He has stopped at the door of the tent, and has gotten down on one knee before her. He is brushing some hair out of her face.

TELMIN

Eran Grassan, do not forget this day, and do not think for one second that your father did not love you and just gave you up.

PANEL 3

Telmin looking intently and tenderly at her.

TELMIN

There is nothing he wont do to protect you and he loves you more than his own life.

PANEL 4

Eran Grassan looking at him.

TELMIN

Never, ever, forget this day.

PANEL 5

The pair entering the tent.

PAGE <27>

PANEL 1

The rest standing or siting on their mounts waiting for Telmin.

PANEL 2

Telmin walking out of the tent.

PANEL 3

Telmin has mounted and has started moving.

TELMIN

All right we have two days to our own devices. Go collect your boon and rest. We have been bound to a new contract.

GENTLEMAN BRUCE

What the hell do we need to rest for, we didnt do a god damned thing?!

TELMIN

Just trust me were going to need it.

ALEVA

Come on Frost, give it to the orc straight, we all know he aint the brightest.

GENTLEMAN BRUCE

F**k you c**t

PAGE <28>

A splash page. Telmin raising his fist with a look of vindication on his face. The sigil of House viridian and the Circle gleeming bright gold against his green armor.

TELMIN

Because in two days, we will be been bound by Duke Grassan to kill Lord Percival of Dunmark.



© 2012 Charles Crane


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on January 19, 2012
Last Updated on January 19, 2012