11-20 1/2

11-20 1/2

A Chapter by Charlie

 

Do you think we need mass hysteria? Riots? Anyone who actually believes it will go off the handle. There's no knowing what they'll do if they think that we're not really the superior race. They're fine looking at the world the way they are.”

“Yes, Mr President.”


New York

Eric never did know why he decided to watch the news that night. He just felt that he needed to.

“The president has canceled all flights to Russia. The docks are being watched carefully, and the president isn't allowing any boats to dock. What is the president hiding? What is he trying to keep out? When asked, he denied trying to keep anything out of the US, claiming that this is, quote, an attempt to keep out illegal aliens, end quote.”

Eric wasn't normally someone to question what the government was doing. But maybe just this once, he wondered.


Ingram handled the camera carefully, pointing it at the docks and began filming. She watched as American soldiers stopped one boat, and demanded that it turn around. She watched the fist fight that ensued when the captain tried to force his way into the harbor. She watched the boat leave, and stopped filming.

Ingram worked as an investigative reporter, and her most recent goal was to find out why nothing was coming in from foreign countries.

She walked down to the dock, and quickly snapped a picture of the American soldiers' weapons. Heavy rifles, big old pistols. It looked like they were ready for a real fight.

“Hey, guys,” she said casually.

“Leave now,” demanded one soldier, a black man with short cut hair.

“Hey, I just want to talk.

“We can't talk while on duty. Leave now.”

“Wow, come on, just a short interview.”

“No. Leave now.”

He sounded like a broken record player. Ingram pretended to give up, and left the docks. As soon as she was out of sight, she turned back around, and put up a video camera. If anything happened here, she'd know about it before any one else did.


Washington, DC

Darryl met his wife on the airstrip, wrapping her in a tight embrace. Then he knelt and hugged his daughter.

“I've missed you, Adrian,” he whispered in her ear.

“I missed you too, daddy,” she said, and his grip tightened. Then he stood up slowly.

Alice seemed to want to say something, but for the one time in her life seemed unable to find the words. Normally Darryl would have waited, but instead said, “Come on inside, we don't need to stand here.”

Alice nodded, and Adrian took Darryl's hand as they walked into the White House.

They sat together in a plush couch, and Darryl turned on some cartoons for Adrian. For a few minutes, they were silent, watching the frantic action. Then Alice said, “Darryl … do we have any more news on the Japan incident?”

Darryl's mouth dried up, and he didn't answer.

“Darryl,” Alice repeated. “Are you okay?”

“Adrik sent more soldiers to investigate.”

“What did they find?”

“They're all dead. Adrik is dead. Moscow is gone.”

Alice gasped, covering her mouth with her hand. “But how,” she managed at last. “And who? And … why?”

“We sent someone to investigate,” continued Darryl expressionlessly, emotionless. “They found something. We're still trying to figure out what. They can't even speak complete sentences. Whatever happened, it scared them. It really scared them. And they're professionals. They've been through a lot.”

Darryl knew he could have explained more. That whatever had done this may not be human, that it might be heading for them next. But he couldn't bring himself to tell her. God knew she was worried enough as it was, she didn't have to expect the monsters to appear on the doorstep.

Alice seemed to guess that he was hiding something, but didn't push him. Instead she leaned back in the chair, took a deep breath, and closed her eyes to steady herself. Adrian looked up at Darryl. “Is something wrong, daddy,” she asked, completely, blissfully unaware of what was happening.

“No, honey. Everything's fine,” Darryl told her. But he knew in his heart that he was lying. Nothing was fine. It might never be fine again.



New York

Ingrid was hiding in the foliage when another ship came slowly into the docks. The soldiers all raised their weapons, and the man that had made Ingrid leave walked up to the ship. Ingrid couldn't see anyone on the ship. The soldier's seemed suspicious, and called out. There was no answer.

They filed onto the ship one at a time, glancing left and right. Ingrid watched the camera carefully, and then heard the sound she'd been waiting for �" gunfire!

They appeared to be killing whoever was on the ship! This was big news! Ingrid was about to turn of the cameras, when she heard the first screams erupting from the ship. They were filled with terror, and a shiver ran down her spine. She found that she was frozen in place, watching the ship and listening to the sounds of a fight.

The gunfire stopped, but the screams continued. Ingrid felt a horrible feeling of fear, but stood up and quickly moved towards the ship. She HAD to see what was happening!

She emerged from the bushes just as a body was thrown over the rails. The man fell into the water headfirst. Blood was smeared all over the side of the boat where he'd been tossed over.

Ingrid retreated to the bushes again �" just in time.

Several humanoids departed from the ship. They looked to be humans at first, but their skin was a sort of faded, rotten yellow, and their mouths were too big, and they only had six fingers total, three on each hand, ending in sharp claws. But not nails, the fingers themselves were clawed, somehow. Same for the feet. They didn't have any eyes, and their noses were thin slits.

They moved fast, but one stopped at the side of the dock, away from the swarm, and raised its head. It looked around, and even from her hiding place, she could see that the monster was sniffing. It slowly moved its head to look right at her hiding place, and she felt her breath catch. Then it looked away, and joined the swarm.

“Now THIS is a story,” gasped Ingrid.


Eric was lounging in his couch when he heard the panic in the streets. At first he didn't think it mattered. But as it got louder, he started to wonder. Eventually, he stood up, glanced out of the window, and froze.

Some kind of monsters were swarming in the streets, leaping onto people, biting them, clawing at them, dragging them down and brutally killing them. Someone hopped into his car, only for maybe twenty of the creatures to leap onto the car, and begin pounding on the top. The man tried to start the engine, but one of the things smashed its fist through the roof, and grabbed the mans head, smashing it against the side window, and glass and blood sprinkled onto the cement. Then the same creature looked up and caught Eric's eye.

Eric leap back, pulling the curtains, and gasping, “No, no, no, no,” repeatedly. He grabbed the phone next to his bed and dialed in a number.

“Pick up, pick up damn it,” he swore. “Mom! Is that you?” he didn't let her finish talking. “Listen, get out of town, now! Don't argue, just go,” he snapped, then he hung up, and turned around just as the screams started coming from downstairs. “Damn!”

He looked around for something, anything to use as a weapon. Nothing.

Then he grabbed the door handle, preparing himself for whatever had broke into the apartments. Then he opened the door.

The creature he had seen outside was standing in front of him, one hand covered in gore.

Eric screamed a curse, lunging to the side just as the gore-covered fist went through the air where he'd been standing. The creature moved into the room, and opened its mouth. Even though it had no eyes, it still looked straight at Eric.

Eric stood motionless, waiting for the creature to strike. Neither of them moved.

Then the creature jumped into the air, outstretching its arms, trying to grab hold of Eric's head. Eric dodged, and managed to get through the door before the monster recovered. He joined the crowd running away, but a glance over his shoulder confirmed that they couldn't hope to outrun them. Was this … the end?




Washington, DC

Sean broke into the room while Darryl and Alice were watching another round of cartoons with Adrian.

“Mr president, we have a problem.”

“What is it,” demanded Darryl quickly, standing up quickly.

“Check the news. But �" em �" I suggest having your daughter leave.”

“Take her into the next room, Alice,” Darryl said, leaning forward.

“I want to see what's happening too. Sean can take her.”

“Alice, it could be anything.”

“Exactly. So I should see.”

Darryl tried to come up with an argument, but Alice turned to Sean and said, “Take Adrian out, will you,” and leaned forward to change the channel.

The reporter was a man, and he was sweating badly. “-Creatures have hit New York fast and hard. Casualties are increasing rapidly. They are not human, and seem to be superior to us in almost every way. Stronger, faster, and harder to kill.”

Someone ran by the camera screaming, “They're coming! Come on, we've got to get the hell out of here!”

The reporter looked up fearfully, and the camera hit the ground. The sound of screams were prominent, and the screen went black.

“More ships have begun landing in the harbor. At this rate, New York will be wiped out in a matter of days,” Sean said, having returned.

Darryl sat motionlessly, staring at the blank screen. “Is there any point of trying to stop them,” he mumbled. “You heard them. They're superior to us. We can't stop them, there's too many and they're too powerful.”

“Snap out of it,” yelled Sean, uncharacteristically taking charge. “We can't waste our time with gloom and doom, we've got to do something! New York, I admit, we can't do much for at such a short notice. But we can start evacuating to somewhere more secure. Call up the army, we can destroy the b******s before they destroy us!”

“You're right,” said Darryl slowly. “We've got to do something.”

He straightened. “Get everyone here into Air force one. I want them taken to Area 19.”



New York

Ingrid managed to stealthily get a good ways from the center of the violence. She had found a truck without an owner. She figured morals took second place to survival, and stole the truck.

Now she was just trying to get out of town, any way possible. The roads were clogged with discarded cars, but she made good time. At least until she took a wrong turn and found herself confronted by a mass of civilians, monsters, and police.

The police were trying to keep the monsters at bay, but seemed to be hitting the civilians more then anyone else. Several people were wounded by bullets and finished off by monsters. One woman was wearing a fancy black dress. When she was grabbed, the dress was more red then black.

Ingrid tried to turn around, watching the police line get torn apart. She almost made it, when something hit the top of the truck.

Ingrid froze, and the world seemed to be still. Her breath came out slowly, and she slowly opened up the glove compartment. She found a small gun, to her relief. She knew how to fire a gun, she had taken lessons for a while.

She pointed the gun at the roof, just as whatever was on the roof jumped off and onto a fleeing civilian. This wasn't like the rest of the creatures. This one was black instead of yellow, and instead of claws, the arms were more like swords.

The creature killed the civilian, then jumped to a young man, landing on his chest, and brutally stabbing him several times before he hit the ground.

Ingrid tried to back up again, but something smashed through the front window. Ingrid screamed when she saw one of the yellow skinned monsters trying to twist around to face her. She raised the gun, tried to pull the trigger. But the monster struck her hand, and the gun flew out through the broken glass.

The monster stared at her, slowly leaning forward, baring its teeth. Ingrid leaned back, grabbing the door handle, trying desperately to unlock it.

“Oh my God,” she breathed. “Oh my God...”

The creature opened its mouth wide.

Then it twisted, a chunk of its head gone.

Ingrid looked up, and saw someone holding the pistol, running forward. He climbed through the shattered window, and put three more bullets in the monster before tossing it out of the truck.

“Drive, hurry up and get out of here,” he yelled, aiming and killing another of the monsters as it ran for the truck.

Ingrid complied, quickly backing up and maneuvering through the streets, as her new companion breathed heavily.

“Who are you,” she asked him.

“Eric, Eric Helms, said Eric. He quickly opened up the glove compartment, searching for something. “You got any more bullets?”

“No. I'm Ingrid.”

“That's nice,” said Eric absently. “We've gotta get more ammunition if we're going to survive another fight with those things.”

“Where do you suggest we find bullets?”

“Just keep driving straight. Take the next left and then the first right. We'll pass Ed's Guns. I've never been in there, but they've got to have bullets, and maybe something a bit bigger then this,” Eric said, waving the handgun around.

Ingrid followed his directions, until they got to the gun store. Eric opened the door, Ingrid close behind him.

“Get back,” yelled the bald man behind the counter. “I'll shoot ya, don't think I won't!” he aimed a shotgun at Eric, who put up his hands.

“Listen, we're human, we're not one of them,” said Eric smoothly.

“Then you're thieves! I'm not going to let you take any of my guns! I need them to protect myself! They're not going to get ME off guard!”

“Listen, just give us some bullets, please,” said Eric, trying to keep his cool.

“No! Get out o' here!”

“Come on, I won't ask again.”

“Get out! You heard me, out!”

“Last chance.”

“Your last chance, you son of a -”

Eric moved fast, grabbing Ingrid and pushing her on the ground, at the same time raising the pistol and firing. The bald man fired the shotgun, and Eric hid his head on the ground. He waited, but there were no sounds except for Ingrid's crying and his own harsh breathing.

Eric stood up slowly, keeping his head low and the gun outstretched. The owner of the shop was slumped over the counter, the shotgun laying underneath him. Blood soaked his back, and was pooling on the counter.

Eric started searching, and after a while, Ingrid stood up and looked around. Her eyes rested on the bald man's corpse.

“Eric. Eric, you killed him...” she began, trying to force the words through her lips.

“He would have died soon anyway. And so would we, if I hadn't.”

“But Eric, we can't … I mean...”

Eric shook his head. “Get in the truck. I've already loaded up on ammunition and a few different guns,” he told her, and then grabbed the dead man's shotgun, quickly wiping off some of the blood. He forced his face to stay hard, but in side he felt sick. But he had to be strong if he wanted to survive.


Washington, DC

The president watched as everyone was put on Air Force 1. Sean approached him on the landing strip.

“Mr President, shouldn't you be getting on board,” Sean yelled over the noise of the engine.

“Is Alice and Adrian on board yet,” demanded Darryl.

“Yes, Mr president, but-” began Sean.

“Then get on and take off,” ordered Darryl, with a sad smile.

“Darryl,” Sean said slowly, using the president's real name. “Are you saying...”

“I'm not going,” Darryl decided firmly. “The country needs me, and I can do more from here then in Area 19.”

“Then when will you join us?”

“I don't intend to.”

“Explain.”

“I'm not planning to meet up with you at all. I will stay here. When America dies, I die.”

“Do you really think it's that bad?”

“I know it is.”

“Darryl-”

“Sean, we may be facing our own destruction. There isn't time to argue.”

“what about your wife? And Adrian?”

Darryl paused, twisting his hands. “They'll be okay.”

“They'll miss you.”

Darryl didn't say anything.

“How will I explain this to them,” demanded Sean.

Darryl remained quiet, until at last he said, “Fine. I'll join you soon. Take off now, I'll find another pilot.”

“Promise?”

Pause. “Yes.”

“Then I'll see you soon.”



New York

Eric and Ingrid were on the road again.

Eric had taken the shotgun, reloaded it, and propped it in the window. Ingrid had two handguns in her pocket, and was glancing left and right.

“I'm sorry about … back there,” Eric said. He could tell that Ingrid was still in shock.

“It's fine.”

“I had to. He'd have killed you. Killed us both.”

“I know.”

“I'm sorry,” he said again, and Ingrid looked him in the eyes.

“It's okay. I understand that you had to. I'm fine,” she told him, with a smile. He knew she was just lying for his benefit, but decided to let it go.

“So anyway, what were you doing when they attacked?”

“I was there watching the boats. I'm a reporter.”

“A reporter? Interesting. So you actually saw them getting off the ship?”

“Yeah. What about you.”

“Um, I work at Wal-Mart.”

“Wal-Mart,” Ingrid laughed a little. “You seem talented. Why are you are Wal-Mart?”

“No idea. Just didn't want to be involved in anything really big. Don't ask me why, I don't exactly know why myself.”

“Sounds interesting.”

“Hey,” Eric said jauntily. “I'm an interesting guy.”

“Sounds it.”

“It should.” Then, “Turn here.”

The road had been silent for a few hours. Most people were either gone, or dead.

“Turn on the radio, will you,” Eric told Ingrid, who did so.

“-White House. Repeat, Air Force 1 has just left the White House. The president will be making an announcement in one hour.”

The radio went on, but Eric had heard enough to make a plan.

“If Air Force 1 left, they'll be heading somewhere really secure. Thing is, we don't know where they're going.”

“Yeah, so how does that help us?”

“Well, if the President is staying behind, he's got to know where they're going.”

“So?”

“So we're heading for the White House. Fast.”

Washington, DC

It was time for Darryl's speech.

“People of America,” he said, looking at the few reporters who had appeared. “I stand here now, faced with what may be truly the darkest day in American history, and even in world history. Today, is a day that we shall never forget. Today is a day that will forever be remembered. Today is a day we stand on the very brink of our own utter destruction.”

“As you probably know,” continued Darryl. “New York has been almost completely wiped out by some kind of monstrosity, more powerful, and possibly more numeral, then us. We have forever been the superior race, and that may now be coming to an end.

“A shadow is crossing America. It is killing our people. Crushing out cities. Slowly choking the life out of our nation, and, though this fact has been hidden from you until now, possibly our entire race.

“I understand that this might be hard to believe. But if we do not act now, then mankind will slowly and systematical be slaughtered, until we face our own complete annihilation at the heel of these freaks, these monsters.

“Mankind. We have always fought against our fellow man, be it because of color, beliefs, gender, anything. But today, we make mankind mean more. Now we will stand not as many, but as one.

The president stood strong, straight, firm. His voice lost the quaver it had began with, becoming powerful, and filled with defiance and resolve. “We must unite, for the greater good, and strike back against these invaders! We must not let them take our freedom from us! Our right to live! Our right to remain!”


Pennsylvania

Eric and Ingrid were driving through Pennsylvania, listening to the speech, when the creatures attacked.

The first thing they had noticed was how quiet it was. For once, they heard almost no gunfire, no distant screams. Just the sound of the engine.

“We're almost out of gas,” Ingrid warned Eric.

Eric nodded, and said, “pull over here. We'll go on foot and try to find a decent looking car.”

Finding a car wasn't so hard. They were parked everywhere. The problem was that the streets were often clogged, and most of the cars were old, broken, or blood stained.

“Ingrid.”

“What?”

“We're being followed.”

“Oh - “ started Ingrid.

“Yeah. Listen, don't turn around. Keep moving forward. That's it. Okay, when I say, go into the building on your left. I'll go through the right.”

“We're splitting up?” hissed Ingrid.

“There should be a gas station three miles ahead. I'll meet you there.”

“Eric, we should stay together.”

“Do what I say, alright?”

“I'm not going to let you get hurt,” Ingrid said firmly.

Eric looked at her carefully, and then said, “Just do it, please. It's our best chance.”

Ingrid looked down. “Fine.”

“Okay. Hands on your guns. The creepers are coming.”

“Creepers?”

“The yellow ones.”

“Oh.”

“In case you're wondering, I call the black ones 'runners'. Just in case I need to warn you.”

“Alright.”

“You ready?”

“Ready as I'll ever be.”

“Okay. Hands on your pistol. Now!” he yelled, lifting the shotgun and pulling the trigger.

Ingrid whirled around, raising her pistols and squeezing off several shots at a creeper hiding behind a van.

“Run Ingrid!”

Ingrid turned, and quickly smashed her way through a door, running as fast as she could. She could here the creepers right behind her.

She ran up a flight of stairs, and when one creeper grabbed her leg, kicked it backwards. There was a loud crack when its head hit the banister, and the creature stopped moving.

Ingrid kept running, sliding on tables instead of going around, breaking down doors. Until she came to a dead end.

She turned around slowly, and watched two creepers slide into the room. They watched her carefully as she raised the handguns to their heads. Then one threw itself at her, and she ducked to the left, hit the creeper in the throat, and brought it onto the floor hard, before resting the gun barrel against its face and pulling the trigger. The second tried a similar tactic, but Ingrid was too quick, shooting it in the chest. It reeled backwards, hitting a window and breaking through it. Then it was silent.

Ingrid slowly leaned around the corner, and didn't see any creepers. She took a step outside of the room, and then heard the hard breathing coming from just behind her.

A strong, bony arm wrapped around her throat, and another around her waist. She heard the breaths coming from right next to her ear. The pressure around her throat tightened slowly. There was a disgusting sound of a mouth opening, and she squirmed, trying to get away before the creeper could bite her �" for that was what it must be.

Everything began to blur together. She squirmed more desperately, and glanced at the two pistols that had fallen from her grasp and hit the floor a few short feet away. They might as well be miles away. The grip tightened more. Ingrid shook, and slowly began to fall still.

Suddenly, the pressure was released. Ingrid leap for the guns on the floor, raising them to the creeper.

But wait. It wasn't a creeper.

It was a a teenager, probably not that old. He had black hair that went past his eyes, hiding his face from view. His mouth was an O shape.

“You're not one of them,” he whispered. “You're a human. You're still alive.”

“I wouldn't have been alive much longer if it were up to you.”

The boy looked down. “I thought … I heard the fighting, and thought you must be one of them.”

“They're moving fast. They only got here yesterday.”

“They've only been here a few hours. I think some people are still alive, but they're hiding. But they can't escape. No one does.”

“How old are you? And what's your name?”

“Ivan. Fifteen, as of yesterday.”

“Your birthday way yesterday?”

“Yes.”

“What a day for a birthday,” Ingrid muttered under her breath. Then, louder, “You can't stay here. Do you know how to use a gun?”

“I know enough to kill one of those b******s,” said Ivan.

“Good. Here,” said Ingrid, tossing him a gun. “Follow me, we'll meet up with my friend.”



© 2011 Charlie


Author's Note

Charlie
The main players are meeting up, and the Creeper threat is being felt everywhere.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on August 1, 2011
Last Updated on August 1, 2011


Author

Charlie
Charlie

That's neither here nor there



About
I haven't been writing for long, and only shortish 30-40 page stories. Most of the people who have read it say it's great but I'm not so sure and would love to get some more feedback. more..

Writing
Extinction Extinction

A Book by Charlie


Page 1-10 Page 1-10

A Chapter by Charlie


20 1/2 - 36   END 20 1/2 - 36 END

A Chapter by Charlie