Chapter Three: Fighting The Dead

Chapter Three: Fighting The Dead

A Chapter by Chea B
"

Minions of the mage that is following them catch up with the brothers after their visit with the Druid.

"
“How could you drop the sack of food?” Ash asked disappointed.

“There was this root, and I tripped.” River explained.

“I thought serpent boy was supposed to be fast and clever, apparently not on their feet.”

“Yeah well Dragon boy sure is led by his heart; Oh Flora!” River whined his voice.

“Pick up the food before I have to demonstrate the other half of my Dragon.”

“Aren’t you going to help, being full of heart and all.”

Ash grumbled something but dropped to his knees to help his younger brother.

None of the food was too badly damaged. A loaf of bread took the most of it; it was severely squished under a large potato but was still edible. River was about to resume his duty of pack mule when Ash stopped him.

“I’m the one with the amazing strength, I’ll carry it.” Ash nodded to River. He smiled. “Plus you deserve the break for me yelling at you.”


“It’s ok Ash.” River forgave Ash. “Thanks.”

They set out again but it took only another second for a bigger disaster to happen.

River was bounding ahead of Ash, who laughed at his brothers energy, was about to round the bend when he stopped. Even from where Ash was standing he could see River freeze in terror.

From around the corner a perfect skeleton, animated by magic, drew a sword and stalked towards River. Ash ran towards the skeleton in a blind bull rush, dropping the sack of food in the process. Scared, River ran behind his brother.

In Ash’s charge he never realized his brother ran behind him into safety. The skeleton turned towards Ash and stabbed with unnatural speed and strength at Ash’s gut.

His speed from the charge saved Ash, for when he twisted away from the blade, his speed caused his balance to falter and he fell away from the blade. He leapt up and away from the skeleton, only to see more standing around the corner, slowly marching towards him.

He looked back towards River, who was holding the food sack waiting for him and Ash ran towards him.

“Get out of here!” Ash shouted as he ran.

“No!” River yelled back. “You have to come with me!”

“You are faster than I am.” Ash told River as he reached him. “You can escape.”

“If you don’t come with me, I will stay here with you.”

“Than, we fight.”

“Bone killing time!” River exclaimed dropping the sack down and charging.

“Dork.”

Ash sprinted towards the skeleton warriors several paces behind River. River jump kicked one skeleton toppling it back into three others. Charging, Ash slammed into a skeleton sending its upper half flying into two others. Grabbing the fallen sword that the skeleton had dropped as it snapped in two, Ash lunged at the closest of four around him.

Working for Curt had put them in some dangerous situations. They had trained hard after Ash nearly lost his hand to one of the cities guards. Although Ash clearly overmatched Rivers combat skills, River had the advantage of speed an exceptional amount of energy. Their styles of fighting differed slightly as well, Ash preferred offense and strength, while River preferred speed and acrobats to his advantage. Yet they both preferred weapons over fists. Even that differed between them, Ash choosing two swords, which usually won against River’s daggers when they sparred together.

But now they faced a new opponent. Not the burly guards nor each other, they were faced by creatures with no fear and couldn’t bleed. Yet there was an upside, the skeletons were brittle and on the weak and dumb side of things. But regardless, it was unnerving to Ash and River, was almost a game to them.

And they were winning, for now.

Four were on Ash, not counting the halves of the first skeleton. The sword often slipped through the skeletons defense’s, for there was barely any, and similarly slipped through the ribcage. Revealingly finding no target irritated Ash. Yet his frustration only made him attack faster and he missed more rapidly as well. His temper was starting to flare.

River was having a more difficult time. With no weapon and no way to establish a defense, dodging was Rivers only option. Though he only faced three skeletons, he was nearly outmatched. Every time he got in kicking distance, a sword threatened him, forcing him to roll or jump away which ruined his chance on an attack. So he dodged and waited for an opportunity, whenever it may be.

As River was bounding away from swords, Ash had succeeded in destroying a skeleton. His sword had again slipped between the ribs of a skeleton, when he was forced to dodge to the side. This caused his sword to slice through the skeletons spine and destroying the skeleton. Even though he had succeeded in destroying his opponent, it only caused Ash to get more irritated because he knew it was a fortunate accident.

Than Ash changed his tactics, mimicking his accident, by instead of stabbing he started to slice, striking with the flat of his blade. He slowly started bashing apart the three other skeletons he faced.

Similarly River was making progress. He had managed to make a quick kick to the hip of one of the skeletons without getting sliced or skewered. The skeleton had collapsed, though unfortunately it’s bones collapsed on River. He tossed the rib cage off of him and at the nearest skeleton. The skeleton rolled out of the way, the rib cage splintering behind it, only to meet River’s boot. With one skeleton left, River turned to face his opponent.

With a side smack to the skull, Ash’s last skeleton fell defeated. He grabbed another fallen sword, feeling slightly better now that he was familiarly armed. He turned to see River kick a skeletons skull off. Chuckling Ash walked to where River was standing, who was facing the last skeleton. Just as River was sprang at the last skeleton Ash reached him. With a shrug Ash laughed as River Grabbed the arms of the skeleton and then broke them over the skeletons skull, destroying the skull and arms in the process.

“Couldn’t let me have all the fun, could you?” Ash chuckled.

“I knew you wanted me out of the way.” River smiled.

“Oh come on, you know I didn’t you to get hurt.” Ash said with concern, than changed gears again, “Besides it’s twenty-four to seventeen now.”

“You’re just jealous that I could beat my three with my hands and you had to use a point.”

“Ha, I’m Jealous? You’re jealous that I got four faster than you.”

“I didn’t have a weapon.”

“I picked it up. You could have done it to.”

“So what?”

“I’m still winning.”

“Ok, so you got four that would give you twenty-three. So where is the twenty-fourth?” River asked changing his tone.

“In our charge I rammed one in half.”

“Right! Now I’m seven behind.”

“Keep trying.”

Ash went over to where the food sack was and, after a brief inspection of the food, slung the sack over his shoulder. Satisfied, Ash bent over momentarily to strap the two short bladed swords to his waist. Thinking to better arm himself, River picked up one of the dropped swords as well. Both smiling, the two brothers started down the trail again. Confident that they had nothing left to worry about, they walked.

They traveled till nightfall, stopping only for a brief lunch of carrots and a potato, than set camp near the edge of the forest. River went to get fire wood while Ash strung a tarp between two trees. Ash spread out leaves under the tarp for a makeshift bed. Since River was not back with the fire wood, Ash set up a fire-pit with large rocks to contain their fire.

River returned to camp with an armful of twigs and set them down near Ash’s fire-pit. As he turned to go get more wood Ash stood up and went to help him get some wood. They both walked into the woods, grabbing large twigs and Ash grabbed a small dried log. With their bundles of wood they returned to their camp and set to work building a fire. The wood was set in a tent like shape with the thicker wood supporting the small log. They stepped back to admire their work.

“Now watch this.” Ash said with a smile.

Ash removed the glove on his right hand than extended it towards the wood. He turned towards River to give him a quick smirk, and then suddenly fire shot from his palm and caught the wood on fire instantly. A huge grin spread on face like the flames he had created.

“No need for kindling.” Ash smirked.

“When you learn that?” River asked puzzled.

“Around the same time your first time you triggered your mark.”

“I want to something powerful like that.”

“Maybe you will.”

“What’s for supper?”

“Patience, not everything is fast.” Ash said with a pause. “Potatoes with carrots.”

Grabbing two potatoes from the sack, Ash set about making a meal. He sliced the potatoes in half with one of the swords he picked up and put slices of carrots in the gash. The meal now finished being prepared, was then set to cook on a flat rock.

While the potatoes were cooking Ash and River decided to spar. Both figured they had rough roads ahead and they hadn’t seen the last of the mages skeletons. For River the spar helped him get a feel for a sword, which was bulkier than his preferred daggers.

Several minutes and, in the case of River, bruises later they set down to eat. Although it wasn’t as great as their last meal, it served to quell their hunger that was worked up from the fight and spar. Though River thought he got fewer carrots than Ash.

The fire was starting to dwindle, so Ash went into the woods to gather more wood. River meanwhile went about trying to sleep. He knew he would have to take a shift in watching during the night. When Ash had returned from gathering wood, River was already asleep. Laughing silently at his brother, Ash put the wood fire.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ash was awakened by River as the sun was barely above the horizon. They set about gathering up supplies and putting out the fire. When all was ready they set off.

The road to Flux was often a well traveled one. With merchant coming and going from Dusklight to other major cities, like Greyrock to the south, Caravans were the most common frequenters of the road. For Ash and River this was not very favorable for them because every now and again they would be forced off the small road when a caravan would approach. It wouldn’t have been a problem if it was every hour or so, but it was often as frequent as every fifteen minutes.

During one time they were forced off the road Ash stumbled and nearly got trampled by a caravan’s horse. He managed a roll to a ditch on the side of the road where River was standing. As Ash stood up he mumbled something about caravans on a small road and wider roads.

Near midday the road grew wider, much to the appreciation of Ash, and eventually forked. Ash also noticed the woods were thinning. The signpost to the left read Flux, the right sign read Merdim. Ash started down the left fork to Flux, their agreed destination, when River paused.

“River?” Ash asked his younger brother, a curious expression on his face. “What’s bugging you?”

“Isn’t Flux out of the way to Gorn-to?” River responded.

“No, From Flux we travel west.” Ash corrected. “We will stop at one of the cities along the way to re-supply.”

“Isn’t Flux in a desert? I don’t see a desert.”

“Notice the thinning trees? Also Flux is near the edge of this forest, and by a large lake.” Ash had learned a lot of geography from Curt.

“Oh.” Was all River replied.

With a roll of his eyes Ash started walking again. Ash didn’t need to look back to know that River was following him again. He trusted River to trust him. That thought brought a smirk to Ash’s face. He thought it was so funny that trust had to work both ways, and yet those who really need it, like the kings and dukes failed to understand that.

Kings and dukes. Like the Duke of Dusklight and the King of Everlast, who, even though he knew neither of their names, had impacted Ash’s life profoundly. Ash started to ponder his life in Dusklight when he remembered something. Fenir had been the one who had paid out the job. He had wanted to meet them. That memory spurred another, one that was of the last time they had met.

The job had been simple, get a certain single document, and bring it to Fenir at a pre-described location. As a political figure in Dusklight, though a minor one, Fenir wanted a legal document. The document was held in the guard captain’s drawer. Ash guessed it had something to do with a warrant or other police action.

It was an easy break in. River had nimbly slipped into an open window and let Ash in through the front door. There was little guard activity, only about three watchmen in the building. They were easily avoided. Ash and River made it to the captain’s quarters easily enough as well, disarming a small minor trip wire alarm outside the door. River stood watch at the door while Ash tried to find the specific document. Ash had been through two drawers when he opened a third, he heard a small click and paused. He knew a trap was triggered. Ash and River stood back from the drawer and opened it with a string tied around the handle. A small black arrow shot out and struck the wall opposite the drawer. With a sigh of relief Ash went over to the drawer and looked in. A small rolled up parchment, tied with a red cloth, was all that was inside. This was what they were looking for.

Ash grabbed the document and they made to leave. Out the window they went, sliding down the rooftop to an alley behind the guard quarters. Ash dropped the document as he landed. The parchment opened.

Meaning to only retie the ribbon, Ash leaned over to pick it up. Than a word caught his eye; Marked. Ash froze.

Deciding at that moment that he needed to read more, Ash stood up. The document was a warrant for his and River’s arrest. On the grounds of being Marked. Alarmed and scared, Ash sealed it back up. How could they have found out that they were Marked?

After a brief talk with River they decided to go back to Curt’s and ask his opinion, even though they were to meet Fenir with the document soon. It was just too close to them that they had to get more advice.

They made quick time back to Curt’s. Curt read the document quickly than looked at Ash and River. Even though it did not say their names, it did describe them very well. There was a brief silent pause than Curt spoke.

“If Fenir is looking for this document he might be willing to help.” Curt started. “And if you hide it, it could make it worse.”

He then told them to hurry to Fenir, but to be careful. And to be on their guard.

Ash took the scroll and then he and River took off towards the meeting place with Fenir. They didn’t bother to be as stealthy as they normally were, but still managed to stay unnoticed by the few people they happened across.

Fenir stood in an alleyway, tapping his foot impatiently. This was an oddity because Fenir was a calm and collected man. It struck Ash as odd for Fenir to be so obviously emotional. It made Ash wonder if Fenir knew what was on the document. And more importantly who was on it.

Ash dropped into the alleyway a couple paces from Fenir, River right behind him. Fenir looked only mildly surprised; he knew the stealth both Ash and River possessed having hired them on a couple other occasions.

“A little late, that’s a first.” Fenir said, then laughed. “Was this job to hard for you?”

“On the contrary, it was just a delicate matter.” Ash supplied. Then he handed Fenir the document. “Here you go.”

“Thank you. Here is your payment.” He tossed Ash a small sack of coins, then turned to leave.

“Wait.” Ash said “Do you know what is on the document?”

“It’s an arrest warrant. Nothing you need to worry bout." Than Fenir paused. "This is the first time you have shown interest in anything you've retrieved. Why?"

Ash looked at him, deciding what to say. After a short pause he spoke. "Why don't you look at the warrant," Ash suggested. He knew he would have a better idea on how to proceed if he saw Fenir's reaction.

A puzzled expression crossed Fenir's face. He nodded his head than opened the warrant. He started to read the warrant, than halfway through he looked up.

"No..." He mumbled, than continued reading, now with a little more haste. When he was finished, he rolled the warrant up again, not slowly but with emphasis. When Fenir finally looked up River was standing next Ash. He looked at the brothers.

"Well..." he started. "I never would have guessed it was you. I was hoping to find the Marked, but I was expecting nobles." He shrugged. "This changes a lot. I have nothing against the Marked, but I will stop hiring you for jobs. Don't try to contact me again. You have to much focus on you for me to continue to hide our contracts."

"Will you tell the Duke who we are?" Ash questioned, arms crossed.

"No, I owe you two more than enough not to. I will cover your tracks to repay you for your help." Than he turned. "Good luck and farewell."

Ash had stood there taking in what happened until River nudged him, breaking Ash from his thoughts. He sighed deeply.

"Let's get back to Curt." Ash lead the way.

Just like that night Ash sighed deeply as he remembered what had happened. If he had known Fenir's reasoning for his wish of them to be nobles, and why he had wanted to find them again, he could know what Fenir was up to. Yet it all seemed sort of irrelevant now.

"Hey Ash?" River again breaking Ash out o his thoughts. "Is that Flux?" He pointed to a wall that stood at the edge of the wall.

The wall was the same height as the trees it bordered. A large gate was built directly in the middle. Ash knew it to be Flux, so he nodded to River. Their destination had been reached. But where to go from here?


© 2011 Chea B


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
Added on July 14, 2011
Last Updated on July 14, 2011


Author

Chea B
Chea B

Anchorage, AK



About
Always been my dream to become an author. So, to persue my dream, I'm starting college this spring as a Creative Writing major. Currently I am working on a novel with the working title of 'Marked'. I.. more..

Writing
Marked Marked

A Book by Chea B