Depression is the loss of desire

Depression is the loss of desire

A Story by Cheryl
"

Overcoming depression

"

 

 

 

Depression is the absence of desire

Too often we treat the symptoms of depression, but what it truly is , is the absence of desire

Nicole was generally a happy person, she was married and balanced lived in a middle class community and had a reasonably happy life. She took her kids to school and went about a normal day , seeing to the home and preparing for the afternoon when her children would return. She prepared most of a day as normal; she even became a writer while she stayed at home. She published her first book, as the months went by she became less and less interested in the things that were going on around her. She did the mundane duties and her daily chores, but spoke less and became more withdrawn. As the years went by she became less and less interested in her surroundings and husband. She felt sad all the time and lost interest in most things. Her home was one that often bubbled with people and dinner parties on the weekend. She did not know what was happening to her, she felt more and more sad and depression began to set in. she was treated for depression but truly the problem was that she lost her desires , desire to want to be happy nothing made her happy any more, through this she got divorced and spent most of her time alone. She came across a website that spoke of depression being a lack of desire. After many years of being alone she slowly started to develop desire again. She taught herself how to desire things again, she wanted to see her children more, she made an effort to go out and join the dating world again.

Depression is a horrible disease, the loss of desire leaves you with a hole, and you just stop caring and being interested in anything. It leaves you with a daily sadness, the only way to heal is to teach yourself like a child to love things and people again, small steps to recovery. It is something that must be worked on daily , it cannot change overnight or just with meds. Must stir up desire daily.

© 2013 Cheryl


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Depression is not a sign that you do not care but a sign that you have cared far too much for far too long... alone. It is very much akin to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and the two are often related. It is a sign of mental and emotional fatigue...the spirit grows weary because the flesh is weak.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
1 Review
Added on January 22, 2013
Last Updated on January 22, 2013

Author

Cheryl
Cheryl

Gauteng, Sandton, South Africa



About
I write short stories of life through expereince more..

Writing