Lilly

Lilly

A Story by Chet
"

An exploration of a new paradigm.

"

        Lilly walked through the garden past the lilies and the statue of the boy peeing.  The bushes towering over her were carved carefully to wall in the tiny garden.  Two dandelions poked their heads above the grass defying the otherwise perfect garden.  Lilly bent over and snatched one from the ground and tossed it over the bush.  “It’s not right” she said to no one, “ that you can be with someone like you when I cannot”.  With a sadness on her face, she looked down at the lone dandelion and responded with anger.  “How dare you smile at me when I am beside myself with grief!”  Lilly raised her left bare foot and squashed the offending dandelion. 

        Lilly walked circles around the fountain passing the two entrances into the garden.   How many times, she lost count.  She stopped to study her shadow and noticed that the statue standing high in the fountain cast a longer and better shadow than she did.  So she stepped up on the edge of the flowerbed and jumped over the lilies to the edge of the water basin and stood next to the statue.  With her arms stretched over her head she towered over the little statue.  “Not so big and important any more are you?” 

        For the first time she noticed, the statue of the boy peeing was naked.  “You still think you are better than me don’t you?”  She slipped her dress over her head and placed it over the head of the statue.  The dress slid easily over the statue.  “Now you are trapped.”  The statue stood there, Peeing in the dress.  Suddenly the statue looked sad.  So Lilly placed a hand on the shoulder of her new friend. “There, there.  I know why you are sad.  I was sad too.  But now I don’t have to be sad any more.”

        Lilly stepped back, into the lilies and felt the earth squeeze between her toes.  She started walking around the statue, with each step a smile grew on her face.  She continued to walk through the knee high lilies surrounding the statue, the statue of the little boy peeing in a dress.  And when she completed her circle, she walked out of the garden, paused, turned and waved to the sad little boy.

© 2013 Chet


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

how unique. Emotions expressed so wonderfully. Love it. Feel sorry for the statue.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chet

10 Years Ago

:) Being male, I kind of feel for the statue too. But it's nice to be able to throw off the labels .. read more
That... was wonderful. So simplistic, yet so complex. I don't know what else to say, it was unique and unexplainable. Great work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chet

10 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wrote this while I was lost and looking for something to hold.. read more
This was fun to write, and after I was done and read what I wrote I was surprised how it revealed something about me.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
3 Reviews
Added on July 7, 2013
Last Updated on July 7, 2013
Tags: Short story

Author

Chet
Chet

Baltimore, MD



About
I'm interested in Fiction that explores alternate worlds, realities, or points of views. more..

Writing
Rainbow Tears Rainbow Tears

A Poem by Chet


AmonJon Chapter 1 AmonJon Chapter 1

A Chapter by Chet


Lad  Chapter 2 Lad Chapter 2

A Chapter by Chet