AmonJon Chapter 1

AmonJon Chapter 1

A Chapter by Chet

From the chronicles of AmonJon.

I snapped open my eyes. The wind was fierce. I imagined dragons wagering war right outside my tent. Their awful cry piercing the night. They rush in smack against the tent and retreat. Are they trying to get in? Or are they fighting each other? As I wake, I realize I'm not dreaming. The stories were only stories. No one has ever seen a dragon before. If they ever existed they existed only in fairy tales.

I lean towards the door, inching my fingers towards the zipper. With a sudden snap of the tent I launched myself back to the center. Safe, perhaps, but no less worried. The tent was holding its own.

Again, I crept forward to peer into the night. This time the tent remained calm while I fingered the zipper. Just a little bit is all I need. I'm sure if anyone was out there watching, all they would see is one eyeball desperately trying to see the dragons.

All I saw was darkness. The tent remained mostly calm with the occasional snap from a gust.

I pulled the zipper down just a bit more. I didn't see it, but I heard the sudden screech! I popped the zipper back up just in time and the tent thrashed violently. I swore I could see the wings beating against the tent.

My light was low. The tent alternated between thrashing and an eerie calm. I calmed the light; I didn't want to run out. As I sat in the dark my eyes started adjusting and I could see faint flashes of light through the thin tent walls.

Another screech and the tent nearly lifted off the ground it shook so violently. I smashed the light against something hard. I held onto the little glass ball like my life depended on it. I could feel the creatures stalking me outside. I knew they were afraid of the light. So I waited.

I kept on waiting, quiet and dark. My night eyes huge round almost hurting from keeping them open so wide. Every sense tingled as I strained to sense the dragons approach. What I heard surprised me and terrified me. I could see a shape at the door. The zipper fumbled a bit then started to creep down.

I wielded the glow ball in front of me ready for a hard shake to release the pent up light.

There was some shuffling outside and the wind picked up again.

And the zipper started inching down again. My eyes strained in the dark. All I could see was a lone single claw. The zipper continued a little more. I shuffled on my butt backwards away from the terror. A little glow ball my only weapon.

The zipper was nearly 5 inches down and the door was being pulled open. I raised the glow ball pointing it directly at the small opening. That's when I saw it. A spot of glowing yellow... A dragons eye!

I shook the glow ball bright and screamed with all the air in my lungs!!! An explosion of light and furry erupted and the tent lifted off the ground for a moment before collapsing back to the ground in darkness.

The glow ball was dead. No amount of shaking it, smacking it or pleading would make it light up again. I realized it was broke and the innards were slowly spilling out.

The rest of the night I sat in the same position holding the dead glow ball with the tent collapsed around me as the sun greeted the landscape once again.

I pushed the tent up off my head and worked the crumpled material until I could unzip the tent and escape its grasp. I stepped out and faced a sunrise that illuminated the entire valley below me.

The trees swayed gently in the breeze. Birds were chirping and singing. I turned to survey my camp site. My tent was nearly ten feet from where I placed it. My dinner from last night was nowhere to be seen. This includes my pack with breakfast, all gone.

I had some snacks that would last me my trip back to civilization in my tent. So I gathered up my tent to survey the damage. The tent was not salvageable. There were rips, claw rips I'm sure. The poles were snapped in multiple places. I pulled my sleeping bag out with all my remaining supplies. I scattered the supplies to see what survived and there, in the middle of everything was a broken claw.

The claw was just a bit bigger than my finger. It was hefty and extremely sharp. I scratched a broken tree branch with it and it easily sliced the branch. This was way sharper than my normal hunting knife.

I gathered my remaining supplies and fabricated a bag from the tent. I didn't want to repeat last night’s experience.

AmonJon climbed the last of the forest peeks. As he crested the peek his eyes took in an amazing sight. Before him spread a vast mountain chain as far as could be seen. There in the mist of the far off mountain peaks little black dots were hovering and dancing in the early sun. Dragons, he thought. They are so tiny. How can that be?

AmonJon had planned to hike north for a week then return. This was the third day and two nights. Perhaps retreat is the best choice. AmonJon sat on the ridge and pulled a tooth root out of his makeshift bag and began to gnaw on it ripping a small chunk off and sucking on it. After a while he felt his energy return and spat out the fibrous root.

It was too dangerous to keep going forward. So he decided to make haste down the side of the mountain and back to the village for safety. If he hurried, he just might make it to the inn and get some real food. He started drooling from the thought of MarJon's delicious stew, with bits of chopped tooth roots in it, soft enough to eat whole. The dragons, he thought, will just have to wait.


The Jon tribe woke like they do every morning just before the sun peeks over the hills. The cattle were looked after, the water brought up from the creek, and BigJon sat down for a plate of cheese and breads. A young cattle hand came running in just as BigJon shoved a chunk of cheese and bread into his mouth.

"BigJon! BigJon", a cry shouted. BigJon started choking on the food and waved to the servant for mead. "BigJon! You have to come quick! It's started! The prophecy is starting!!!" BigJon took an ill-timed breath and the food clogged his airway. His face started turning a bright shade of red as he tried to gasp for breath. "It said, the animals will be slaughtered and day will turn to night!"

The servant rushed forward and slapped BigJon square between the shoulder blades and the food shot out of his mouth and back onto his plate with a plink.

BigJon glared at the servant and turned angrily to the intruder. "What's the meaning of this?" He didn't move from the table. Instead he held up a finger for silence and took the regurgitated food and popped it back into his mouth, this time being more careful to chew.

BigJon hated to be interrupted and kept his finger in the air while he finished chewing his food and finally swallowed. "Nothing can possibly be important enough to barge in here uninvited. You will wait outside until I'm finished.

The young lad mumbled and apology and backed out of the dining room. BigJon enjoyed the authority so much that he forgot about the servant hitting him just moments ago. Five minutes later BigJon declared breakfast was over rising up just as his servant gently pulled back his chair. The servant walked behind BigJon grabbing a tunic from another chair and expertly placed the tunic on his shoulders and with a single tug pulled it into place. BigJon grumbled something about inept servants and threw open the doors.

The lad stood there, not so much afraid, but with cautious worry on his face. BigJon was disappointed that he didn't have a more profound impact on the Boy. He turned to scold the servant but the doors behind him had already been clasped and the servant gone.

"Very well. So what's so damn important?" BigJon towered over the lad with both height and girth. "I haven't even made my rounds yet."

I'm sorry sir, but the herd was attacked last night. I saw it, the whole thing. I just barely made it out of there with my life. I hid until I was sure they had left. You need to come quick. I don't know when they will be back. Oh, it's terrible!"

BigJon looked at the lad and started laughing. Anything big enough to scare the lad was sure to be a minor inconvenience. Besides, it was BigJon's responsibility to keep the village safe. He had earned that right through the trials several years ago. He was arguably the strongest and best fighter ever to be born in this village. Certainly the occasional traveler is always intimidated by his mere presence. But the lack of fear in the lad still bothered him. "Well, don't just stand there blabbing like the idiot." That you are, he thought but not said. "Lead on!"

The lad took off like a rabbit scared out of hiding. "Stop! That's no way to travel through the village. I have my reputation to consider. Wait here while my horse is saddled up." A moment later BigJon's servant walked up with the protectors horse saddled and ready. He wasn't sure whether to be pleased or angry. The servant didn't wait to see which reaction he was going to get. He set a steps stool down beside the horse, handed him the reins and stepped back.

BigJon wasn't about to wait for the lad but it didn't matter. The lad was already racing ahead and thought the town. BigJon snapped the reins and followed at a slow clip as not to run over the boy. The race continued several miles outside of town. BigJon and the boy crested the final hill and both stopped dead in their tracks. Not one animal was spared. It was such carnage that no one in the village had ever seen before. The horse balked and refused to walk down the hill, so BigJon leaped expertly to the ground and handed the reins to the boy.

The carnage was revolting. BigJon struggled to keep from gagging or unloading his breakfast. This was no ordinary beast slaying. The dead animals were half digested with greenish slime and bones shattered. He looked up at the boy half believing the boy had somehow brought this onto himself. He found one cow still alive but near death. He pulled his sword out and cut the animals head off ending its suffering. Then he walked over to a clump of trees and unleashed his breakfast. He grabbed some leaves and wiped his mouth off. Then wiped his blade off on a clump of moss growing off a decaying tree trunk.

When he returned to the boy and his horse he noticed for the first time the townspeople gathering around the hill overlooking the carnage. He turned to one of the elders. "Assemble the council." He hadn’t the strength to climb onto the horse, instead he led the house through the crowd and through a village that was still waking and hearing the news for the first time. He ignored every question posed to him and kept moving back to his residence. He went inside, his servant was not there, for the moment that suited him just fine. There was fresh water in his private chambers and he proceeded to wash up and change into his council clothing. The council would summon him when they were ready. He didn't have to wait long before his servant appeared with the request for his attendance.

ElderJon sat at the head of the council table. His face was so wrinkled that an expression of worry, doubt and wisdom was always there, permanently etched in. ElderJon assumed his position only two years ago when the then Senior Elder had passed away. His name was TreeJon before that. He spoke softly but clearly enough for all within to hear. Those outside would not hear him at all, It didn't matter because his words were echoed outside by the crier for all the assembled to hear.

"BigJon, you have chosen your name because you are bigger than anyone else. You are our protector. Stand now by our side while we face the oncoming darkness." BigJon dared not speak and took his place at the end of the table, but stood as there were no more chairs. "Who has witnessed the attack on our livestock?"

The Lad pushed his way through the crowd to the front and stood before the elders. This is where he would stand in a few years when he is named and takes his place among the adults. He wasn't afraid of BigJon, but he was nervous in front of the elders. "I saw them last night. They were horrendous beasts." He knew to speak bold and strong so the elders would consider him worthy of respect. "They came from the north, the moon hid its shine and the land lay in darkness. I felt them, but I could not see their shapes. I was lying among the trees and the flock started screaming with terror. I tried to rush out to see what it was but I was thrown off the ground and into the trees. I stayed there hiding until they were gone."

BigJon shivered while the boy spoke. There was much honesty in his voice. He wondered if he would have been so forward.

"I dared not move until the sky's morning halo. Then I ran as fast as I could to the protector. The beast was..." The boy stopped speaking. He knew of no words that will help them understand. His silence was echoed by the crier. Then almost on cue several villagers started crying and shouting for the protector to save them.

The elder held up one hand and mostly everyone calmed down as everyone wanted to hear what the elders would say. "I am troubled by your story. A very long time ago when I was a lad myself. I worked with the elders of my time. They told me a story of a beast that lives high in the mountains. I thought it naught more than a story until today. They say this beast could not be killed." The villagers all gasped as the crier repeated his words. Some started crying and yelling.

A voice from outside cried "Elder, is this the prophecy? Is this the coming storm?" Again, the elder held up his hand for silence.

"I don’t know if this is the coming storm, but we must consider the possibility. Everyone, go about your business, the council must consider how to act. There is much for us to discuss." The elder placed his hand on the smooth stone and with his finger made a complete circle, the symbol of the protector. "These times are grave indeed. But there is cause for hope. The prophecy tells us that a protector will be named. One that is descended from each of the 5 houses. From the beginning of time one has been named protector and one has prevailed." The elder paused for the crier to finish. "It is our custom that the protector always be of the five houses so that we are always safe. The protector will lead the way. Now, the elders will discuss in private." The room cleared slowly and the council chamber doors were closed. Only the elders and the protector remained. Many of the villagers milled around unsure just how long the elders would be discussing. Slowly, one by one, then in small groups people left to continue their chores.

The lad stood by the door as long as he could hoping to hear voices through the thick wood doors. PrideJon startled him when he placed his hand on his shoulder. "Come on, we have to bury the livestock. We will hear from the elders when they are ready and not a moment sooner."

PrideJon and the lad crested the hill and saw several villagers already starting to dig a trench. They joined in. The job was not done until late in the afternoon, and the sun was dropping below the hills. The lad was so tired he nearly fell asleep walking back to the village. They went to the village center where everyone was sharing stories of what happened and looking for places to sleep. The lad had never seen so many people is one place before and thought the excitement was wonderful, if only he could stay awake to eat and listen.

PrideJon quietly rouse the lad from a deep and troubled sleep. "Wake up, the elders have asked for us. Come on, wake up."

The lad rubbed his eyes and asked, "is it still twilight?"

"Yes, now hurry up." The lad rose and pulled his boots on and followed PrideJon out of the house. The lad had forgotten where he went to sleep and was disoriented. PrideJon grabbed his shoulder and steered him around the sleeping people and out into the night. The stars lit the way. When they got to the elders council chambers PrideJon knocked twice then entered. Only two of the elders remained.

ElderJon spoke up. "I would go with you but I am too advanced in years. I have shared everything I know with ElderDoe. She knows where the sanctuary is and all of the lore I can remember." The lad blinked at the elder and wondered if he was still dreaming. "There isn't much time, you must leave at first light. The protector has provisioned a mule and supplies. He will go with you. He will keep you safe. Listen to him. The fate of our village depends on each of you. You will travel the old Cardot path. In ancient times the beast would be subdued at the temple at the top. I am sorry, but I don't know how the beast is subdued. I traveled there once when I was no older than you lad. There you will find the ancient writing. ElderDoe has studied the ancient writing and should be able to tell you exactly what you need to do."

PrideJon nodded and replied, "we will not let you down ElderJon."

Just as they opened the door and stepped outside, a horrible stench filled the air and body parts rained down around them. The protector was carrying a large satchel and ran for the cover of the council chambers pushing ElderDoe, PrideJon and the lad inside. He closed the door just in time for the door to fly open hurtling him to the floor. Quickly he stood up and slammed the door closed again.

The lad now fully awake starred at the door and ask, "what was it?"

ElderJon placed his hand on the lads shoulder. "I don't know lad. But I can no longer ask you to take this journey. It's much too dangerous. PrideJon, do you have someone that can take the lad while you are on this journey?"

PrideJon took a moment to think and the lad spoke up. "ElderJon, I want to go on this journey. I'm not afraid."

ElderDoe spoke up, "well, I am terrified. I wish to the stars I was not going. Think lad, you don't need to go, we need you here to grow big and strong and maybe be our next protector."

A knock came at the door and everyone jumped. BigJon threw his weight against the door. Then the knock came again. He backed up slowly and opened the door a crack.

AmonJon stood there with a bloody claw in his hand. "Is everyone all right?",

ElderJon spoke up. "And then there were five."

AmonJon stood there trying to figure out just what he walked into. "Sleep, eat, be ready. You leave at first light." ElderJon turned away back to his room behind the chambers.


First light always comes too soon. AmonJon stood facing the small group and the pack mule. He did not want to be going back into the mountains. But the alternative of staying behind was just as unappealing. The lad was still inside the chamber room fast asleep. ElderDoe was checking and rechecking the contents of her pack. Once satisfied she slung it over her shoulder and declared it time to go. PrideJon woke the lad and handed him a small satchel. "Some food and tools, always keep it with you."

BigJon was putting the last of the supplies onto the mule. "ElderDoe, I can put your pack here too, there is no need for you to carry anything."

ElderDoe held out her hand. "Two things before we depart. One, everyone pitches in. Two, nobody is permitted to touch my bag. And three, we stick together."

The lad spoke up, "but that's three things, you said..."

BigJon cut him off abruptly, "silence! It is not your place to question an elder. You haven't even been named yet and already questioning an elder." BigJon looked at PrideJon, "Did you teach the boy nothing?"

ElderDoe stepped in quickly to prevent an escalation. "It's time to go"

The five were walking north out of the village before most realized they had left.

The farmers had banded together without much success, another night of horrors brought not only more animal deaths but the death of eighteen villagers. The country side was not safe and the village was not safe. A dozen or so villagers stood at the north edge of the village tossing white flower petals into the wind. The traditional good bye and good fortune. Usually reserved for family members, now, the villagers were united and the five were their own.

The protector turned back for one last look at his beloved town and his easy life. He could see the extent of the last nights damage. Damage that was not clear in the middle of town was clear from a far. He turned back to the task of leading his group to this road of Can something. He didn't remember the name. Just the tasks ahead. They were to follow the northern most ridge to a river, to a canyon, to a bridge that may or may not be there still. Up a steep mountain pass, to the ridge, following the ridge to the highest peek to a stone building with ancient writings. Yah, how hard can that be, he thought.


© 2013 Chet


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
Added on July 31, 2013
Last Updated on August 9, 2013


Author

Chet
Chet

Baltimore, MD



About
I'm interested in Fiction that explores alternate worlds, realities, or points of views. more..

Writing
Rainbow Tears Rainbow Tears

A Poem by Chet


Lad  Chapter 2 Lad Chapter 2

A Chapter by Chet


Protector Chapter 3 Protector Chapter 3

A Chapter by Chet