Protector Chapter 3

Protector Chapter 3

A Chapter by Chet

The Protector took the lead again as always with ElderDoe, AmonJon, PrideJon, the lad, and all followed by the mule. The lad had never seen a mule follow people without a lead before. He kept looking back wanting to stop and care for the beast. The group finally stopped for a quick bite before climbing up the north side of the valley and over the peek.

The lad spoke up risking a rebuke from the protector, "can we treat the mule? He is getting stronger and is keeping up with us on his own."

BigJon stepped up to strike the lad but before he could do so, ElderDoe spoke up. "I think he has earned the right to continue with us. Yes, see if you can find some healing weeds so I can make a salve."

The lad held out a pouch filled with the healing weed already crushed from walking. "This will do nicely! Amon, would you kindly fetch some river mud? This should not take long at all." The mule stood agitated and twitching. She combined the mud and crushed healing weeds and pulled an old looking glass bottle from her pack and placed four drops of oil to the mix. Once mixed the Elder and the lad spread the salve over every inch of the injured mule's back and sides.

The mule sighed and finally stood still. The group finished a quick lunch and started climbing the steep hill. The mule struggled to keep up with them and eventually went off to find his own way up. They were all working up a good sweat climbing on all four at times, pulling themselves up by trees and pulling and pushing each other up. By the time they arrived at the top of the hill, they found the mule happily munching grass waiting for them.

AmonJon led the group north by north east along the ridge to an easy climb down into the next valley. At the bottom AmonJon started looking for the stone signpost. He was having no luck so PrideJon suggest that they make a line and walk the valley north. The protector once again took the left side while AmonJon took the right side with the lad walking the middle between ElderDoe and PrideJon. The mule stayed a couple of steps behind the lad.

They continued this way from the high sun until the low sun. Night fall was close and with darkness comes danger. BigJon yelled, "I got it! At the top of this side!" The entire team shifted left and up the hill again.

The post was cut from stone and chiseled out raised lettering on all four sides. ElderDoe studied the four sides careful before declaring the side they approached from carries the name of the village with a distance of two.

BigJon swore out loud. "damn we missed it! There is probably nothing to find now."

The elder looked back the way they came. "No, protector, I think this means for us to continue. I think the village name is opposite for a reason."

PrideJon. Spoke up, "so, how far is two?"

"Probably two leagues" said AmonJon. "The opposite side says 20, and it’s about 20 leagues to the west village.

"Ah yes, so it does. Good eye Amon!" The Elder looked immensely pleased. BigJon ignored the informal way the elder spoke. He was getting used to it now. "That should put us about an hour maybe three tops to the village."

AmonJon took a sighting lining up three mountain peaks and a cluster of trees. The lad watched on wondering what he was doing. "Amon, what are you..." BigJon smacked the lad hard with his back hand sending the boy backwards down the hill. Before anyone could react the protector leaped towards the boy with his sward drawn.

"Dare you speak so informally to an elder boy?" AmonJon is not an elder, but the boy didn't think responding so would help so he shook his head.

PrideJon and AmonJon leaped after the protector pulling him off the boy. The three struggled until ElderDoe scolded them all. "Stop! Stop this instant! We are not even half way there and already you are ready to kill each other?" AmonJon and PrideJon were not sure if she was directing her words at them or just BigJon. Nonetheless they pulled back and gave BigJon his space.
PrideJon helped the lad up and tended to the cut on his face and the bruise on the back of his head. ElderDoe took the protector a few paces away for a private chat. While AmonJon stood watch by the stone signpost.

A few minutes later the lad with a bruised face and a protector with a bruised ego picked up their packs and started walking with the others to the mountain village. Again the protector took the lead, but this time he did not wait for the others.

It was full dark by the time the Elder, AmonJon, PrideJon and the lad arrived in the mountain village. ElderDoe stood for a moment to take in the stone buildings still standing as if everyone would be back soon and festivities would commence.

"Over here!" The four turned to the sound of the Protectors voice. "This building still has a door and no windows. I think we will be safe here."

"Protector, you found us a good building to be sure. Thank you." They all entered and before BigJon could close the door the mule bolted into the building.

PrideJon felt his way around the room. "Do you think we can safely light a fire in here? I'm not finding any chimney or smoke pit." The lad grabbed PrideJon's arm and led him to the center where a smoke pit sat cold. "Ah, thank you lad. Can someone bring some fire starters?"

"Here." AmonJon said. "I think I have..." He stumbled over something. Righted himself and walked around it to the voice of PrideJon. Together they started a small fire.

The fire quickly took to the dry kindling. The smoke pit has air channels under the floor. Drawing fresh air to the fire while the room filled with smoke. The smoke escaped through small holes in the side of the walls near the ceiling.

"I think we are in a smoke house. Best to keep the fire really small. Just enough for light." Said The Elder.

The mule nudged the lad for oats again but they were out of oats. AmonJon put a pot with water over the fire and added crushed herbs and tooth root. "We still have plenty of bread and cheese. Here lad let the mule eat some of the stale bread."

The lad took the bread and offered it to the mule. The mule took the bread but did not eat much of it. He then kneeled down again and went to sleep. The lad envied the mule for a moment then he too rolled out his wool blanket and went to sleep next to the warm body of the mule. That night, he dreamt of dragons. Not the black flying creatures, but the huge graceful gentle kind. The dragon was larger than a house with silver claws and a sleek body colored in greens, silver, and bronze. His eyes a yellow glow full of knowledge and understanding. And he had a name.

The protector slept sitting next to the only door with his sward in hand while the elder, AmonJon and PrideJon all slept around the small fire. The night was silent for the first time. The Protector got very little sleep. He kept opening the door a crack and peering outside. No winged beasts hounded them that night but they were heard overhead.

The group slept until the sun pierced the smoky room through the vents in the walls. The fire was nearly gone with only a few warm coals left. They once again ate their bread and cheese and tooth root.

The lad's curiosity peeked again so he asked well away from the protector and careful to use the proper name, "AmonJon, why are we eating tooth root all the time? I thought it was only for stew."

"Well, tooth root will keep you going when all food is gone. It doesn't take a lot and it gives you lots of energy." PrideJon and ElderDoe both nodded in agreement.

"Yes lad, always have some tooth root on you. Keep it close, and know how to find it. It could be the difference between life and death out here." The lad thought the Elders advice was wise and he intended to learn everything he could from her and the others.


The party set out just as the sun was cresting over the ridges to the east. The entire village was decimated. It was hard to tell just how many buildings there once was. Some stone walls remain standing but the only complete building was the one they slept in last night.

ElderDoe spread out the ancient map on what appeared to be a stone table. "Now, if we trek straight north we should find the old bridge and the path to the road.”

Once again, the group started north with the Protector in the lead and the mule following in the rear. The land sloped downward slightly for the first two hours making for an easy pace. The path looked packed and little vegetation intruded. The lad kept wandering to one side then the other picking healing weeds whenever it was in easy reach. PrideJon was keeping a close eye on the lad occasionally encouraging him to keep moving.

AmonJon noticed that they were spreading out. "ElderDoe, we should be careful not to move too fast and use up all our energy now. We are traveling easy and going down but eventually we will be climbing up again."

ElderDoe looked back and called for PrideJon to bring the lad in closer and not wonder so much. They would cover as much ground as possible while the path is easy. BigJon smiled to himself as he picked up the pace a bit more.

The easy path ended suddenly at a shallow but wide stream. ElderDoe called for a short break and asked the lad for his pouch of herbs. It was a good time to renew the healing salve on the mule. Once again AmonJon scooped up some river mud while ElderDoe crushed the healing herbs with a few drops of oil.

She gave the salve to the lad to administer to the mule himself while she pulled out her map and consulted with the other adults. The way directly north takes them, up a dangerously steep climb while the river offered a more gentle climb albeit a very wet walk.

Finally ElderDoe broke the silence. "The river seems our best way forward. What do you think protector?"

BigJon took a moment to contemplate his answer. "Up, or down? Down looks challenging and it seems to curve south while up looks easy and curves to the north. I'd say our best bet is to go up. If the bridge is still there, it will most likely be up high.

ElderDoe pulled her boots off and tied them together looping the string around her neck and stepped into the icy cold mountain water. The rest did the same.

The mule stood there stinking from the fresh healing weed and refused to enter the water. The lad looked back and tried to coax the mule into the water. PrideJon turned and spoke, "Lad, the mule will come or will not come. Be done with it."

The lad raced to rejoin the party splashing everyone in the cold water with his footsteps.


The village saw to the dead and set to reinforce the remaining structures. ElderJon climbed slowly and carefully up a ladder to the top of the council chambers. From there he could survey the damage. But first he turned to watch the ElderDoe and her party disappear into the mountains.

He turned and looked at their village and gasped at the damage. Nearly every building had roof damage. The buildings where the roof caved in were the building where people died. The inn stood at his furthest view and appeared to have no damage at all.

MarJon was carrying two large baskets of water. She stopped to look at the Elder on the roof. It was an odd sight but then the last two days left her numb.

"MarJon! " shouted the Elder. MarJon started walking towards the Elder and the Council chambers. "Your fathers Inn, how does it fair?"

MarJon set down the heavy water and called out "very well, hardly any damage at all."

"Wait there! I will walk with you." MarJon fidget with a necklace that AmonJon gave her last year. She had only once before stood before the elders and answered their questions for her naming. She wasn't prepared for this. With every step of the ladder, she became more nervous. The Elder finally made it to the bottom rung and solid earth. "Just one moment, I'm not as young as I used to be."

MarJon suddenly realized she should probably do something to help the Elder. She unhooked a small clay mug from one basket, scooped some water and took it to the Elder. She kneeled in front of him as he sat on a low stone and offered him the water with both hands. She was trying not to let him see her hands were shaking.

ElderDoe took a good drink and calmed himself. He set the half emptied cup on the ground and took the young girls hand. "You are looking more and more like your mother! Her name suits you so well. Oh! You are shaking so badly. I don't think we have talked since your naming." She shook her head no. "Well, that was my mistake. I have been too withdrawn. I think I can get up now. I'd like to see why your inn survived while others perished."

MarJon helped the elderly man to his feet and steadied him. She grabbed his walking stick and made sure he was steady before returning to her water and picking it up. "The Protector is usually here to help me get around. I suppose I will have to find another young man to step in."

"Oh! You should ask AmonJon when he gets back. He should be back any day now. He is always so helpful! Why last week he helped my Da build a new cooking pit."

The old man stopped and mentioned for the girl to put down her water. "You don't know do you? No I suppose you would not. AmonJon returned last late last night. I sent him back into the mountains with the protector and ElderDoe." MarJon put both hands up to her mouth and her eyes began to water.

"What? Why. Do you mean he is in the mountains with those beasts?"

"Yes, but you don't need to worry. He is probably safer than we are. I am sorry, I didn't know how much you cared for him or I would have told you." MarJon didn't know either until just then. She absently wiped the tears from her face and picked up her water again. ElderJon looked at her with concern and tried to smile to make her feel a little better. It worked but she was still very scared.

The inn was not an especially large structure. But it appears to be well built and was a private residence when ElderJon was a lad. The main floor was pretty open with two cooking fires, one at each end and a new, large cooking pit just behind the inn. All three fires were still going with meat roasting and stew simmering. People were coming and going constantly.

"ElderJon! It's an honor to have you here at the inn!" QuietJon despite his name talked loudly. He gave the Elderly man the honorary greeting with both hands on the shoulders. His smile was worn but warm and genuine.

"You have done your father proud Quiet." The MarJon’s fathers eyes quivered with emotion for a moment. But just nodded his thanks. "I've come to see how well you survived last nights attack."

The father turned to survey the room. "We were so sure they would break in last night. We all huddled here in the great room together." We could see the beasts pulling the planks up then dropping them back down. A few planks fell down inside injuring two people but they are ok. Mar, I mean my wife MarJon is tending to them now. I am very fortunate to have my wife and daughter."

The Elder embraced the father again. "We were fortunate that more were not lost. They broke in through the roofs and windows of other houses. Many were not as fortunate. Do you have enough nails and planks to finish patching your roof?" The father nodded wordlessly. "How about food and fuel?"

This time QuietJon's face turned to deep concern. We've lost a lot of cattle but the salted meat in the cellar should last a good while. We should be ok if the crops are good. We've been saving up for the Mid-summer Festivals next month."

"That's right." Replied ElderJon. "I'm wondering, did the beasts take the food you were cooking out back?"

"No, they never came near it. A lot of it burned as we were too afraid to take it off. I was so sure that alone would draw all of the beasts to our inn."

Two of the other Elders came into the inn so ElderJon waved them over. "Quiet, why don't you build a small fire pit in front of the inn. Not only would it make it easier for folks to find your front door and safety, but it looks like any building with a fire survived better last night, and your inn best of all. We should probably ready some of the towns festival fire pits as well."

MarJon had dropped off the water to the cooking fires at each side and rejoined the Elder to listen. She surprised herself by speaking up. "Could it be that the festival with fire was started to remind us to use fire to protect the village?"

ElderJon had forgotten the girl was there. "Yes, yes... That is very possible. When I was very young my mam's mam used to sing me a bed time song. I don't remember it much but it was a song about the fires that keep the dragons away."

MarJon started singing softly and very beautifully. So much so that every person in the room stopped to listen to her.

"The summer is long and the night is cold. Keep the fires burning of old. Safe you will be in the summers long heat. Keep the fires burning of old. Don't mind the dragons cowering in the Forrest. Keep the fires burning of old. Sleep, sleep, have you no fear. Keep the fires burning of old...” Her voice trailed off and for a moment nobody moved or breathed. It was a very old song.

MarJon blushed then stated that Mam used to sing it to her because she liked it so much.

"Quiet, see to it that the word is spread. Light as many fire pits as possible tonight." He placed a kind hand on MarJon's shoulder and the three Elders turned to walk out. On the outside, they were very surprised to see villagers running to and from the forest with arms full of firewood. The song was heard and repeated by every villager and the few farmers that stayed with their farms were told several times by people passing by. By evening, the village center was well stocked with firewood and every single fire pit was ready for lighting. Every single one of them. ElderJon was very pleased. If this worked, maybe we will get through another night without any deaths.


The lad was walking in front of PrideJon and AmonJon. He was walking in a grove carved into the stone in the creek. He was placing one foot in front of the other and waving his hands at his side to keep his balance. PrideJon could not help but smile, to be a kid again and not worry so much.

AmonJon looked at the two tracks in the stone and wondered why the mountain people would carve such dents in the stone. He didn't know it but ElderDoe was wondering too. BigJon pushed himself a bit ahead of the group so was the first person to round a curve at the end of the dry creek. At the top was a huge stone bridge. As he walked up to the giant stone pillars he could see the vast cavern below them and the bridge was in shambles. They were not walking across today.

BigJon stood there staring at the impossible crossing when ElderDoe, PrideJon, AmonJon and the lad walked up. ElderDoe picked up a fist size stone and threw it over the ledge. They all listened to it clanking off the stone walls but never hearing it hit the bottom.

ElderDoe looked defeated. "Suggestions?"

BigJon spoke up and said what no one else wanted to admit. "There is only one rope stretched across the canyon. Only a couple of boards still hang from the rope. There is no way it will carry my weight across. Looks like our only choice is to go back down and work our way to the bottom then across and then finally back up. We should probably plan to spend the night back in the smoke house tonight."

"A whole day wasted" whispered ElderDoe.

PrideJon stepped up on the bridge's stone anchor and surveyed the lone rope stretching through fog to a barely visible set of stone pillars on the other side. "I have a very dangerous idea. I have a couple of thin but strong ropes long enough to reach across. If the lad were willing, he should be able to anchor the rope on the other side allowing us to all cross slowly but safely."

"The lad dropped his pack and jumped up next to AmonJon. "Can I really!?" His eyes bright with excitement.

PrideJon was not pleased with this suggestion. "No, absolutely not!"

ElderDoe placed a hand on ProdeJon's shoulder. "AmonJon, how safe would that be?"

"I won't lie to you... It's dangerous. If the rope breaks our rope will keep him from falling all the way down. But it could be very painful for him to hit the side canyon walls. Then we would have to pull him back up. But if he makes it, we can use the two ropes together to walk across and if the old rope breaks, we can go hand over hand. I can fashion a harness for each of us. Once the rope is secure, we can pull our packs across. We will not be able to release the rope after we are done so we lose one rope. There is great risk. But I think it worth it."

ElderDoe was not happy to be making such a life death decision about the lad. She placed a hand on both PrideJon and the lads shoulder. "I will let the two of you decide, but choose quickly. If we go back we lose an entire day."

The lad looked eagerly at PrideJon. "Please???" PrideJon slowly nodded gripped the boy in a hug and set about readying a harness with AmonJon. Anything for the boy not to see his tears.

ElderDoe placed her hand against the stone pillar half hoping it would fall and half hoping it would be secure. It didn't move.

BigJon walked up to the same pillar, "will it hold?" ElderDoe turned to him and told him to make sure. So he proceeded to test the stones strength and declared it secure.

AmonJon secured a harness to himself as well. He secured himself to the stone pillar and lowered himself to beside the old rope. The rope was very thick and felt very secure. "Lad, pay attention. I will help you climb down. You will put your feet around the rope, Lock your feet together in case your hands slip. Your hands will move you along. Always keep either your hands or your feet locked on the rope at all times. It’s going to be hard when you get to those planks out there. Go slow. Try not to bounce. If you can, knock the boards out of your way but don't try too hard, they may be keeping the rope from breaking."

The lad stood there listening thinking this is the longest speech he ever wanted to listen to. “Do you know how to tie a slip knot?” The lad nodded and showed him with the end of the rope. “Good. PrideJon, grab the knife from my bag. Strap it to the lads Belt. He might need it." Amon added.

ElderDoe and PrideJon looked terrified as the lad climbed down and also very proud. ElderDoe held on to a PrideJon's arm and refused to let go.

The lad grabbed the rope and swung his leg over. In a moment he was dangling up-side-down with his hands on the rope and his feet locked around the rope. He scooted forward an inch, moved his hands, then slid his feet forward. His boots shielding his legs from the rough rope, but his hands were bare. In a few moments he was away from the reach of AmonJon making slow but steady progress.

AmonJon stayed where he was, feeding rope to the lad. The protector stood at the top with the rope ready to secure should the lad fall. He wrapped the rope around his waist and placed his feet apart secure against the stone pillar. All four of them watched without speaking as the lad made his way to the first plank. The lad stopped for a moment as his hands are getting raw and tired. He locked his arm over the rope using his tunic to protect his skin. He then continued forward arm over arm. At the first plank, he tested the wood and it promptly fell away. The plank was huge and the loss of the weight bounced the rope causing the lad's arms to lose their grip. For a moment he hung there with his feet locked over the rope.

The lad took a moment to rub his hands before reaching back for the rope and continuing on. Arm over arm. At the next plank he expected it to fall just like the last one. He was ready for it. But it didn't budge. The huge plank was being held by a rope down the middle of the plank. He pulled the knife from his belt and stretched to reach the tie in. He was just a little short so he scooted further moving his shoulder past the beginning of the plank. He stretched again holding the top of the plank with one hand and the knife in the other. He paused making sure his feet were secure. The tie in rope cut easily and for a moment, nothing happened. The rope suddenly released the plank springing the lad up into the air. It was the first moment that he actually felt scared. Both hands were fighting to grab the rope while his legs barely held firm. He suspended in midair for a moment before coming back down losing his foot holds and hanging with one arm over the rope.

The rope took a moment to settle back down and the lad swung his legs back over the rope and secured them again. His hand reached for the knife but it was gone. He looked ahead and two more planks blocked his way. He looked back and he was a bit over half way now. So he continued.

PrideJon took a deep breath after the lad regained his grip on the rope. He hadn't realized that he stopped breathing. He vaguely felt the pinching grip on his arm. The Elder was watching so intently he almost wondered if the old woman could somehow will the boy to be safe.

AmonJon called out to the lad. "It's ok! Take a moment to rest before you continue.”

The lad dared not yell back, his focus was on keeping his feet secure and moving forward. At the next to the last plank he could see the other end, it was close. He took care to secure his feet again and hook his arm over the rope. He then grabbed his tunic and his free hand wiggled the plank. It wiggled, but not much. He hit the plank to no effect. He decided he should just work his way past it. He scooted his feet as close to the plank as he could. Then unhooked his arm and stretched to reach the other end. He was unable to reach that far. So he placed his hand on the end of the plank hoping it would hold. He didn't move. The plank didn't move. The air froze in place around him and the world dissolved as he reached his second hand from the rope to the plank. Again, it held. He scooted as far as he could down the end of the plank until a he was stretched to his limit. He took another deep breath and released his legs swinging for a moment back and forth. He was well over half way cross the plank so he swung his legs to the rope on the other side and locked his feet again. For the first time he noticed a roar in the canyon. He panicked for a moment thinking the winged beasts were there in the mist. He started feeling light headed and took a few minutes to force himself to calm down.

He scooted his feet down the rope a bit and worked hand over hand down the plank and finally back on the rope. He realized he was facing the wrong direction. He was a little afraid to turn around but he did have one more plank to navigate.

He moved his hands as close to his feet as he could then slowly passed his feet reversing his hands, he tried to hook his arm over but was unable to get his arm far enough over to hook. He held on tight and released his feet. Hung for a moment and swung his feet up again. His hands were starting to hurt now so he switched back to hooking his arms over the rope and started moving again.

AmonJon was holding the rope tightly, almost too tightly and breathed a sigh of relief and fed out more rope.

The lad made it to the last plank and when he got there pieces of the board were falling off. He used his free hand to pry larger pieces off and drop them below. After a few minutes he had cleared the last plank and continued to the end. He started to notice the rope on his waist was slowing him down. It was really heavy now.

At the end of the rope he looked for hand holds to pull himself up to the pillar. The rope by now was threatening to pull him down into the canyon. He dragged himself onto the cliff and for a moment just laid there. He almost released the rope around his waist but realized he could not hold onto the rope, it was far too heavy now. So he pulled it a bit back from the pillar, then walked the rope around the pillar by hanging on to tree branches wrapping the rope around the pillar twice. He then held the rope in place using a simple release knot allowing him to tie a secure knot. Once the secure knot was done he released the simple knot with a tug and the entire rope slipped up the pillar to its smallest point and held tight. He then shouted to the others that he was done.

AmonJon and BigJon worked together to pull the rope taunt and tie it down high on the pillar. AmonJon then secured his bag to the new rope and himself to the new rope with a simple loop to prevent his falling if the old rope gave out. He then held onto the new rope with his hands while walking on the old rope. He crossed the bridge in just a few minutes easily stepping over the lone plank. His bag he pulled behind him sliding it across on the new rope.

ElderDoe followed using his example to secure herself to the new rope including her bag to the new rope. She then pulled the bag with her as she crossed the bridge.

PrideJon crossed with only a rope in tow then once he was across they pulled the remainders of their supplies including BigJon's bag. There was concern that BigJon's weigh plus his bag might be too much. BigJon then crossed the bridge easily but the old rope stretched dangerously thin and BigJon could feel the rope starting to fail. Once on the other side he put a hand on the lads shoulder, but only for a moment. This was high praise from the protector and the lad knew it.

By the time all the party had made it to the other side the sun was going down. They were going to need shelter.

ElderDoe opened her map. The road should be very close now. I think this path should link up with the road. She looked down the path away from the great bridge but the path appeared to wither away. Just some bare rocks and sparse vegetation and a few small trees.

"Protector, please scout ahead while we assemble our supplies and prepare a little food. We should continue to go north, but the way is not clear. Perhaps you can find the road up ahead." BigJon nodded in a slight but respectful bow and ran on ahead to scout.

After nearly an hour the group was ready to move again but BigJon had not returned. "Where is he?" Asked ElderDoe. AmonJon offered to scout ahead. "No, I cannot lose anyone else, we need to keep together."

The lad was very tired so he sat on the ground. He decided to stack rocks while the rest of them decide how to proceed. PrideJon was so impressed with how well the lad kept his cool and pulled the rope across the old bridge that he could not stop beaming. So much so that he declared that the lad had earned some respite and took some of the lads load for himself.

ElderDoe completely agreed but was more concerned with how they would move forward without the Protector. "Lad, I need you to take on one more responsibility. I need you to stack stones like you are doing so that the protector can find us when he returns."

The Lad was very pleased that he was to be given yet another important responsibility. He stood right up and started gathering suitable stones. Stones that are just a bit flat for stacking. Once he had gathered enough to start he placed four stones in a pile with two stones pointing north, their intended direction.

As the moved forward, he repeated the method where he could still see the last marker and indicated a slight turn where they wanted to trek.

Daylight was starting to fail them and still they had not found any shelter. The landscape was sloping down again and more trees slowed their way. The lad had to place the marks closer together so they could be found.

They found themselves in a shallow valley when the light disappeared behind a mountain. The skies were still light but there was only a couple of hours left before complete darkness. AmonJon pulled out his dragon's claw and started fashioning walking sticks and spears. He would finish one, hand it off and start on another, all the while the darkness was closing in around them.

"Stop. Let’s just stop. I think we are more likely targets while we are moving. Let’s set up camp between strong trees. Perhaps we can fend them off until morning." Everyone knew they couldn't but there was no alternative.

A small dip in the rocks provided some cover between a couple boulders and some huge trees. AmonJon climbed one of the trees to get a look around. PrideJon thought this foolish as there was no longer enough light to see. Suddenly AmonJon shouted, "there!" He climbed down quickly and pointed to the east while shouting. "Over there. Light, fire! There should be people there!"

As quickly as AmonJon climbed down the tree, the others had their packs on and walking sticks ready. They were getting close to the fires when they heard the first screeches overhead. They picked up their pace but the rocky terrain and darkness made walking treacherous. As they approached the fires a black winged beast dived at them. Their spheres slowed down the creature but did no damage.

A scream erupted from the fires and a figure dashed out with a flaming stick and the winged daemon backed off. They quickly made their way to the safety of the fires. Only then did they realize that their savior was a young girl only slightly older than the lad. The girl stood tall with dark short hair and fur coverings.

"Olga pie treas.". The girl looked at the group and addressed the elder. "Pock trot disoo?" They had no idea what she was saying.

The lad stepped forward and raised his hand in friendship. ElderDoe spoke up first. "Child, we do not understand you. Oh my!" She suddenly realized the Protector was lying in the middle of the ring of fire sticks. He was not moving. He appeared to be bandaged.

"Bang bang" the girl said pointing at the man. She put her hand to her had and repeated. "Bang bang."

The lad translated for no one in particular, "he hurt his head. He probably fell."

ElderDoe leaned over the protector and carefully removed the leaf bandage. The girl had obviously cleaned the wound and treated it. The Elder reached in her bag and once again pulled out the small glass bottle and put several drops onto her hand, rubbed her hands together and rubbed the oil into his wounds. She then replaced the bandage as the wound was not bleeding and the leaf would keep it clean.

"Is he all right?" The lad asked.

The Elder nodded, "for now anyways."

AmonJon asked, "ElderDoe"

"Just Elder, please Amon"

"Elder, how bad is he?"

"I'm not sure Amon. We will know more when he wakes." If he wakes, she thought but didn't say. "Let's ask the girl where this happened. Um child," she waved to the girl. But the girl only looked back not understanding.

"Elder, may I?" Asked the lad. The elder told him to go ahead.

The lad stepped up to the girl and patted his head, "bang bang, where" and he pointed out into the night.

The girl and the lad struck up a difficult conversation. But in a few minutes he reported back to the elder that he fell from a cliff not far from here. He was walking when she found him, but he passed out here so she cleaned him up and set up the fire sticks.

The Elder, Amon, and Pride all stared at him. "How did you get all of that?" ElderDoe exclaimed. "Is that what she said or are you guessing?"

The lad looked a little hurt but responded. "No, that's what she said. It took a while because their language is very different."

PrideJon spoke up, "lad, that's not a language. That's baby talk. She has no language." It never occurred to the lad that she might not be talking a real language.

The lad could not respond without being disrespectful. So he looked over to what the girl was doing. She had a knife out and was quietly carving a piece of wood. The Lad sat down and watched her quietly.

The girl finished her work and showed it to the lad with a smile on her face. "Moo dog." She held up a small figurine. She pressed it to her chest and repeated, "moo dog." Then she pressed it against the lad's chest and he repeated, "moo dog". She laughed and smiled. A sudden screech reminded him of the dangers outside the fires. She then placed the Moo dog on the chest of the Protector.

A black winged beast stood at the edge of the firelight prowling and screeching. This was the first time anyone could get a really good look at them alive. Their wings shimmered in the fire light. Their heads looked like a cross between a snake and a mountain cat. The numbers of winged beasts around their tiny island of light grew steadily with beasts climbing in the trees trying to find a way past the fires.

The girl raised a tube to her mouth and shot something out at the closest beast instantly lighting on fire when it hit, sticking to the hide of the beast causing a great commotion of fear and panic.

"Shia guy coroka." She stated and pointed out to another beast getting closer. The lad responded saying "they are learning." As she shot another wad at a beast trying to get closer and erupting in a great scurry to get away from the tiny flaming wad.

PrideJon decided the lad really did understand the girl and made a mental note to apologize in the morning... If they survived.

The lad suddenly grabbed the girl's arm and pointed up "Shia crow." And the girl shot a new wad directly above them despite not seeing anything there. A winged beast was illuminated by the wad as it desperately tried to get away crashing in the trees off to the side.

The girl looked at the lad with new respect. "Shia crew." She corrected him and pointed up laughing. The lad smiled at this new found friendship.

No one slept that night. The beast remained outside the fire sticks light, but no more winged beasts tried to encroach their camp.

As the sun illuminated the sky and the winged beasts all disappeared to the north the Protector began snoring. The lad, Elder, Pride, and Amon all looked at each other and smiled. This was a good sign.

After the last of the winged beasts disappeared to the north, the girl announced with the help of the lad that she was going to get some water. ElderDoe tended to the protector while AmonJon and PrideJon started a cooking fire. With no tasks assigned to him, the lad followed the girl down to a creek.

“Yo da mucha” the girl said and pointed to the water. The lad had no idea what she was saying so he Just shook his head. The girl proceeded to remove her outer clothing revealing a loose fitting but blood stained tunic. The lad took his warm wool jacket off too. The girl proceeded to remove her boots, tunic and pants.

The boy stood there watching unsure what to do. The girl did not appear to notice his hesitation. She continued to remove the remainder of her undergarments and stepped into the freezing cold mountain stream. She dipped her hand into the water to pull it back with a handful of river mud.

“Yo da mucha” she said again holding the mud up and then spreading it over her chest and arms.

The lad finally understood. “Oh! Bath!” he then stripped the remainder of his clothes off and stepped naked into the freezing water. The cold water stung his feet but after a moment it didn’t feel so bad.The girl watching him giggled and splashed a few drops of water onto him. It was so cold!

The lad splashed back and laughed too. He didn’t want to stare so he dipped some mud from the bottom of the stream. Suddenly he noticed little bluish pebbles in the mud and pulled one out. He showed the soft squishy pebble to the girl and she pulled one out of her mud too. “Chalkota” she said. Then she scratched her arm with one fingernail. She pinched the blue pebble squeezing a liquid out and then rubbed it into her scratch. The lad watched carefully and the scratch started to heal.

“Healing Mud” exclaimed the lad. He then proceeded to follow the girls’ example of spreading mud all over his body. He could feel the sand in the mud scouring his skin and the blue pebbles bursting open making his skin tingle with renewed sensations. He turned and looked at the girl as she was finishing up. He never really noticed the shape of a female body before. He noticed the shape of her breasts and the shape of her hips. He thought they were interesting symmetry. He also noticed the slight bump where her pubic hair grew. He noticed that she spread mud all over there too. So he did the same.

The girl splashed the boy and pointed at her back. So he scooped up some fresh healing mud and spread it all over her back. Then she covered his back too. Then she dropped down into the water and scrubbed all of the mud off of her body starting with her long hair. The lad did the same thing starting with his head and hair and worked his way down to his toes. He never felt so refreshed before in his life.

They splashed each other a bit more then climbed out of the water. The cool mountain air warmed their bodies and the sun beamed down speeding the drying process. The girl pulled a small towel from her coat and dried her hair off. She ringed this out and offered it to the lad. He took the towel and dried his hair with the damp towel. His hair was drying much faster than her long hair. They both proceeded to get dressed putting their underclothes pants and boots on. The lad noticed the girl did not put her tunic on yet. But scrubbed it in the river. She laid it out to dry and filled two water jugs.

After a few minutes she decided her tunic was dry enough and grabbed it and her coat and one jug while the lad put his tunic and jacket on and followed the girl back to the camp carrying the second jug.

The lad noticed the girl had not put her tunic on and realized that she intended to walk into camp this way. “Wait. You cannot walk into camp like that, they won’t understand.” The girl stopped and looked at him quizzically. So he pointed at her shirt and pointed at her chest. The girl remained confused so the lad shook his own shirt and mimicked pulling it over her head then pointed at her.

The girl finally understood and put her water down. She took the shirt and tested it to see how damp it remained. It was too damp. She handed it to the lad and he felt that it was indeed still too wet. So he took his wool coat off and pulled his tunic off and offered it to the girl.



© 2013 Chet


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Brilliant imagery and great transitions! I can completely identify with your narrative, the listless behavior, the playing out of scenarios in peoples head when posed with a problem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chet

10 Years Ago

Thank you SquinklaPsyOps. I am struggling to make ALL of my characters more real and not focus on j.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
1 Review
Added on August 1, 2013
Last Updated on August 9, 2013


Author

Chet
Chet

Baltimore, MD



About
I'm interested in Fiction that explores alternate worlds, realities, or points of views. more..

Writing
Rainbow Tears Rainbow Tears

A Poem by Chet


AmonJon Chapter 1 AmonJon Chapter 1

A Chapter by Chet


Lad  Chapter 2 Lad Chapter 2

A Chapter by Chet