Chapter 1 - My Hometown

Chapter 1 - My Hometown

A Chapter by ChieArriola

It’s been a decade since the last time I went to my hometown to visit my Mother and my Grandfather. I am so excited to see my hometown. The last time I saw my grandfather was when I graduated from college as I dedicated my hard work to him. He can travel from hours way back then, but now things have changed.


I just arrived at my apartment and started to cook my dinner when my mother called. She told me that my grandfather is very ill. She told me that my grandfather was in the hospital and the doctors said that only days that we can be with him. I told my mother that tomorrow morning, I will immediately go to our hometown to visit my grandfather and her.



After my dinner, I immediately packed my bags and called my secretary to have an emergency leave. I went to the shower to freshen up and set my alarm clock so that I can wake up early in the morning. I left at my apartment at four in the morning to ride the first trip. I have a mixed emotions while waiting for the bus. An hour that seems so long for me. To cease my anxiety, I went to a small food cart to have a breakfast as the bus ride will be eight hours. I texted my mother and told her that I am already at the bus station.After few hours of waiting, the long wait is over, I climbed at the bus and looked for my seat. I put my earphones and listened to a classical music that my grandfather influenced me. At the same time it help me relax throughout the entire trip. I closed my eyes and reminisce the time we’ve spent together.



I grew up with my grandfather while my parents are working abroad to give me shelter, food, clothing, education and other things that a child needs and wants. I can say that I am a very lucky kid. Even though that my parents are not with me while growing up, I have my grandmother and grandfather taking care of me. When my grandmother died of old age, it is me and my grandfather living our lives to fullest and enjoy every moment that we have.



I remember that every Sunday, my grandfather and I went to church and prayed that God would protect my parents and thanked for the never-ending blessings that we received everyday. After the mass, we are having our lunch to our favorite eatery and ordered chicken adobo. Afterwards, we will eat our ice cream together. I remember that I used to ride his back and laugh while walking holding each other hands. He always reminds me that God is with me all the time and never forget to ask for forgiveness and thank him for the blessings. He always telling me to study hard so that I will become a humble doctor. Above all, he always reminds me about his unconditional love for me and that is the greatest gift that he gave me the moment I was born.




My father died when I was fourteen. He died while at work abroad where there’s civil war. He was one of the nurses who did not survive from the bombing of the city. I was devastated and very sad as I will never see my father again. Yet, my father always reminds me that someday I will become a doctor with a humble heart. Despite of my sadness, my grandfather told me that things happened for reasons. The only way for me to do is keep moving forward and be the better version of myself, a doctor that will help people who are in need and save lives.



I got back my senses when the bus driver said that this is the last terminal. I get off the bus and smell the breeze of our small town. I saw the church where my Grandfather and I used to go every Sunday. I also saw the eatery where my Grandfather and I used to eat our favorite chicken adobo. The ice cream stand where we used to buy ice cream and listened to his stories when he was at my age. A lessons in life wherein he reminds me every day. A nostalgic moment that I have as soon as I stood at the plaza. I had a flashback like when I was a kid. An innocent child without any worries at all. A child where hopes and dreams are just inside my pocket. Now, that I am a doctor who are now saving lives and a final year of specialization, things are entirely different. However, my heart still belongs to my hometown where it all started. Unconsciously, tears fell in my eyes. I got afraid that things will never be the same the way it was used to be as my Grandfather is old and his body is deteriorating each day. I felt that I will loose another important person in my life.





I went to the church where my Grandfather and I used to go and pray to God to give him more time to spend with me just like the old days. I lit a white candle as he told me that my wish will come true. It is like knocking at heaven’s door when you lit a white candle. I felt loneliness and empty heart on my prayers. I asked God how much time left before he will call my grandfather. I asked him why I felt so empty when I am a successful doctor. I also asked him why I have to be in this situation when I am a good Christian. With all my whys, I left the church with an emptiness in my heart and tears fell in my eyes. I walked and headed to our house which is just near the plaza. Three meters away, I can see our house. The same house which I left decades ago. Our ancestral house with a Spanish inspired architecture. Our family is well known on our small town as my Grandfather was a former mayor. I can see the big windows where I used to sit when I was a child. A garden where I used to fly my kite with my grandfather. I can also see the tree house that was built by my father before he went abroad to work as a nurse. I walked fast as I could as I want to see my Mother and my Grandfather. My heart is beating so fast while walking towards our house.




I stopped when I saw our gate. It was designed by my Great Grandfather. Same color since the last time I saw it but still a bit rusty. I can still see the rose petals and orchids design on the gate. My Grandfather told me that it was my Great Grandmother’s favorite flower in the world. The Makopa (wax apple) Tree at the front of our gate stood still in spite of typhoons hit our small town. My grandfather told me that it will bring luck if you eat the fruit before entering the house. I picked the fruit from the tree. It smelled so sweet, so I get my water bottle, washed and eat it. I took a bite and closed my eyes. I felt that my life rewinds and stopped it when I was a child. Back when I have my Father, Mother, Grandfather, and Grandmother playing and laughing at our garden. When I finished eating I opened the gate and looked at the garden. I saw my Mother doing her crochet for the center table piece. I called her attention and immediately run towards me. I embraced my Mother so tight, “I miss you so much, Mother.” I whispered to her ears. “I miss you too, my Son.” she replied. I saw tears on my Mother’s eyes, happy tears and I wiped it with my fingers. “I’m here now, Mother.” I said and hugged her again.“Your Grandfather is waiting for you.” she told me while putting away her crochet stuff and asked one of our servants to put my bags on my old room. “Your Grandfather will be happy to see you.” my Mother told me. I can sense that she is holding back her tears. “Mother, I am sorry. I wasn’t able to take care of Grandfather.” “It is not your fault.


© 2021 ChieArriola


Author's Note

ChieArriola
ignore grammar issue. thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on January 10, 2021
Last Updated on January 10, 2021
Tags: Family, Romance, Friendship


Author

ChieArriola
ChieArriola

Las Pinas, Manila, Philippines



Writing