Pale Blue

Pale Blue

A Stage Play by Chrissie Muldoon
"

As an atheist man and Christian woman contemplate what makes them a better person than the other, 2 begrudging angels (one moreso than the other) decide to help give them clarity. A play about love.

"

CAST OF CHARACTERS

WOMAN---- between the ages of 35-45. Her clothing, hair and make-up are simple, nothing to imply fashion or beauty in a physical way.

MAN---- between ages of 35-45. His appearance mirrors that of Woman, in that his appearance is simple and plain.

THEY---- a female actor. Any age. She is dressed in a suit, but with a bit of flare, showing off her individuality.

THEM---- a male actor. Any age. Also dressed in a suit very similar to They’s, but not made to ‘stand out’ in any way.

*WOMAN and MAN should be cast close in age, and THEY and THEM would preferably be cast in opposite ages, making one appear much younger than the other.

 

 

SETTING

In the place between Now and After

 

 

**Note: This outline isn’t a literal scene from the play. It’s showing the ideas I would like to explore, as well as introducing the characters and the ways in which they interact with each other.


(A black box stage. There are very little set pieces: two chairs, being used by MAN and WOMAN, and two step ladders, atop which sits THEY and THEM.

WOMAN sits DSL, and MAN sits DSR. They are facing completely opposite each other, both hunched over in their chairs. THEY and THEM, who are slightly further UCS, appear as the image of The Two Cherubs, but as if they are their grown up versions: THEY, sitting on the left, is chewing her nails, and THEM, sitting on the right, has his head resting on his crossed arms as he is reading an unknown book. MAN and WOMAN look annoyed, but THEY and THEM look somewhat bored. Other than the occasional grunt or sigh, it is silent.

WOMAN stands quickly and turns to THEY and THEM, looking up reverently with her hands clasped. MAN stands at the same time, but turns to face the audience, looking out to his fellow man. They both stand, looking in opposite directions, but take one, hard look at each other, as if they both are about to fight. WOMAN turns back to face THEY and THEM, and MAN turns his head back to the audience.)

WOMAN: Do you understand how f*****g difficult it is to live in this world with atheists?

MAN: Do you have any idea how f*****g frustrating it is to live in this world with religious people?

(THEY and THEM look at each other, then go back to their respective tasks.)

WOMAN: I know that I’m a flawed human, but my faith helps me work through that.

MAN: I try my damndest to be a good human, and that is without some book or invisible man in the sky telling me what to do.

WOMAN: I mean, I don’t hate the LGBTQIA community, and by extension, I don’t believe that You do.

MAN: Sure, I swear more that I should, but never in front of kids or grammas.

WOMAN: I eat more vegan food to reduce my carbon footprint.

MAN: I recycle and compost bloody everything.

WOMAN: I had sex well before marriage, many times, and with men that I didn’t wind up marrying. But I don’t think of myself as some shameful w***e, because all of those times it was with a person I loved. And if, well… I didn’t know him long enough to love him, it was at least a fun, consensual experience.

MAN: Believe it or not, I’ve actually not had too many girlfriends. And I don’t have sex with people that I don’t care about. I had a one night stand once, and I was depressed about it for about two weeks because, well… for me, sex is about that connection with that one other person. And I don’t regret that.

WOMAN: Whenever I’m confused or scared, I pray and ask Your guidance so I can best help my fellow man.

MAN: If s**t happens in the world, I try as hard as possible to help in any way that I can, because I want to help other people.

WOMAN/MAN: I am a good person.

WOMAN: If only they saw You, had faith in You, saw the good that You are to those who believe in You, this world would be a better place.

MAN: If only they realized that it’s all bullshit, that they can make their own decisions not based on some xenophobic, homophobic, archaic book and imaginary magic man, this world would be a better place.

WOMAN: My faith doesn’t make me a bad person.

MAN: My atheism doesn’t make me a bad person.

(They point to each other.)

WOMAN/MAN: So why does that prick try their hardest to make me feel like I am?

(LX fade slightly on WOMAN and MAN, and come up on THEY and THEM. They look at each other, and THEY motions to THEM that he can speak. He takes a breath, but THEY interrupts him.)

THEY: Do you have any f*****g idea how frustrating it is sitting up here for eternity, watching humanity s**t the bed during their physical existence?

THEM: (trying to calm her.) Alright----

THEY: Do you have any idea how infuriating it is to listen to humanity whine their lives away about stuff they’ve done, yet expect us to fix? It is absolutely astounding the sheer lack of accountability that humanity has for the crap that they’ve gotten themselves into. I mean really, take these two s**t-birds for instance----

THEM: Yep, ok, how about you take a walk and cool down, alright?

THEY: No, I want to complain about humans more!

THEM: Well then, going for a walk will give you a chance to shape your argument, won’t it?

THEY: My argument is, I hate Humanity.

(THEY gets off of the ladder and walks around the back edges of the stages, prowling like a bear. THEM turns back to the audience and sighs.)

THEM: What my colleague means to say is that it’s getting harder and harder after… well… as she said, an eternity of being treated as if we aren’t doing our jobs, when really, sometimes it’s that humans---- (pause) Well, humans tend to have a way of wearing their victimhood like it’s a badge, and act as if only they, the individual, has suffered.

THEY: (from somewhere in shadows) Life craps on everyone, a******s!

THEM: (speaking over THEY) Granted, it isn’t the easiest to hear, nor is it the easiest to do our job when we are underappreciated, but it’s a bit heart-breaking that humans don’t seem to realize that their salvation actually does lie within each other.

(During his speech, THEY slowly makes her way back to her perch next to THEM, and she interrupts him.)

THEY: Yeah, so as I was saying, take these two s**t-birds for example. One wants us to fix the problem and will be in a crap mood until she gets her desired outcome. The other believes that we are the reason for the problem, even though he doesn’t think we exist, and will be in a crap mood until he gets his desired outcome. (Looks incredulously at THEM.) A******S!

(THEY exhales loudly as THEM puts a sympathetic arm around her shoulders.)

THEM: I know you’re annoyed, but are you ready?

THEY: I don’t wanna!

(THEM gives her a knowing look, and THEY sighs resignation. Slowly, the two descend their ladders. LX come back up on WOMAN and MAN.)

THEY: (under her breath) I think God should just hit them with another space rock and start all over again. He's done it before.

(THEM gives her an annoyed look, and she looks down, still annoyed, but done. THEY goes to WOMAN and THEM goes to MAN.)

(*Writer’s Note: WOMAN and MAN can’t hear each other, nor can they hear the other person’s companion. The implication of the following dialogue is that THEY and THEM are asking the same questions to their respective person.)

THEY: What’s your problem with him?

MAN: Were you not listening to a thing I said?

THEM: I was listening, I just think it’s a bit harsh.

WOMAN: ‘A bit harsh’? You’re seriously siding with the atheist over me?!

THEY: I’m not siding with anyone, all I’m saying is that it seems your letting your annoyance do the decision making here.

MAN: I’ve never met a Christian who hasn’t tried to make me feel guilty over my beliefs. Ever.

THEM: Ever?

WOMAN: Yes, that’s what I said.

THEY: But that’s simply not true.

MAN: (sarcastically) And why is that?

THEM: Because she never tried to convert you when you were alive. Not once.

WOMAN: (shocked) ‘When I was alive’?

THEY: Yeah…

(There is a small pause as MAN and WOMAN take in this information.)

MAN: But… I don’t even believe this place exists.

WOMAN: I was so sure there would be more clouds. And a pearly gate.

THEY/THEM: That’s not the first time we’ve heard that.

MAN: Wait… you said I knew her in life?

THEM: Yeah, that’s right.

WOMAN: Like, I knew him in passing?

THEY: No, pretty well actually. Take a look.

(MAN and WOMAN shyly look over their shoulders at each other, search each other’s faces for recognition, then turn back to their respective companions. WOMAN shakes her head; MAN shrugs.)

THEY: He’s your husband.

THEM: She was your wife.

MAN: F**k off!

WOMAN: Was not!

MAN: I would remember my wife!

WOMAN: I would recognize my husband!

THEY: Really? You actually think so?

THEM: Because you just took a good look, and nothing registered.

MAN: Because it’s not her!

THEY: You stand by that?

WOMAN: Of course I do, we were married for eight years!

MAN: Of course I do, I’ve loved her for the last forty years!

THEM: Then why didn’t you recognize her?

WOMAN: Because---- because----

THEY: Because you can recognize his face, his body. His physical form. And he doesn’t have that here. Neither of you do.

THEM: And to know someone’s soul is something else entirely.

WOMAN: But… I’m so sure that I would know him.

THEY: You forget… just as you didn’t recognize him, he didn’t recognize you either. This is why you’re here. To get to know each other’s souls. And to forgive.

MAN: Why does any of that matter anymore? You said yourself, we’re not alive.

THEM: Forgiveness and understanding always matter.

WOMAN: Why do I need to forgive him?

THEY: Who said anything about forgiving him?

(THEY turns WOMAN, and THEM turns MAN, and they gently push the couple towards each other. Both MAN and WOMAN are nervous. They get closer, and closer, until they are standing mere inches apart. They stare into each other’s eyes for a small, quiet moment, then at the same time, they both intake breath, as if about to speak.

Blackout. End.)

© 2024 Chrissie Muldoon


Author's Note

Chrissie Muldoon
Only an outline. The themes and ideas that I wish to explore go much deeper than this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Read first time and muttered, 'great dialogue', read the second time and felt the characters all were/are very well presented, third time of reading I wanted to slide away for a second or few and ask for first night tickets. You have truly presented a play that offers everything, real people and others large, debate and thought, an essence of both simplicity and complexity that go hand in hand to make good drama. I have a strong feeling that this is for a theatre not tv.. the breathing and pauses on stage inevitably echo.. the content deserves that echo.

Imagine the conversation on the way to bar or restaurant or during the drive home.. or how you tell others what you have seen the next day. It's all there. Truly.(I love theatre!)

Posted 2 Weeks Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Read first time and muttered, 'great dialogue', read the second time and felt the characters all were/are very well presented, third time of reading I wanted to slide away for a second or few and ask for first night tickets. You have truly presented a play that offers everything, real people and others large, debate and thought, an essence of both simplicity and complexity that go hand in hand to make good drama. I have a strong feeling that this is for a theatre not tv.. the breathing and pauses on stage inevitably echo.. the content deserves that echo.

Imagine the conversation on the way to bar or restaurant or during the drive home.. or how you tell others what you have seen the next day. It's all there. Truly.(I love theatre!)

Posted 2 Weeks Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 31, 2024
Last Updated on January 31, 2024
Tags: play, stageplay, outline, heaven, afterlife, purgatory, faith, atheist, atheism, Christian, angel, angels, woman, man, four hander, marriage, love, death, comedy, drama

Author

Chrissie Muldoon
Chrissie Muldoon

Belfast, Down, United Kingdom



About
HI! I'm a Canadian who is living in Northern Ireland with my equally Northern Irish husband :) I'm a theatre school graduate with a diploma in acting and playwriting, and currently work as an online E.. more..

Writing