The Journey

The Journey

A Story by Christina Yan
"

This is a rags to riches story.

"

THEY named him Byung ho Park. It was the spring of 1935, and this was their second baby. In Korean, ‘Byung’ means bright, and ‘Ho’ means goodness. They hoped he would live up to the meaning of his name. The weather was cool in Korea.

They had eagerly waited for this moment for so long. A boy would become a breadwinner of the family.

Despite their joy, they knew life would still be tough. Byung ho's parents were both poor and struggling to get by as farm workers. One baby meant one more mouth to feed, but having a boy was all worth it. He could take care of his parents in old age and provide for the whole family. Plus, they thought, boys are superior over girls in every aspect.

They had high expectations from a boy, and Byung ho grew into a perfect little boy with brown eyes, black hair, and a slender figure. He hardly ever cried, slept well, and got along well with his parents and peers as a toddler. He had immaculate manners and his large vocabulary was impressive. He was also very obedient. As much as he enjoyed studying, he loved recess. Every day he took the long road to his school, and looked forward to learning.

He was well-rounded both in academics and extracurricular activities. He did so well that he was number one in class and even placed into advanced classes where he continued to succeed through high school. He was also very outgoing, and seemed to make friends easily. Not only was he a star student, he was an ideal child and always helped his parents at home with the farm work. Never once did he complain that the work was too hard, or disrespect their rules.

EVERYTHING was going as usual until he got the biggest surprise of all at age 15. In the morning, Byung ho and his father had a conversation. His father sat at the table. "Byung ho," his father began, "I have something to tell you." "What is it, Dad?" Byung ho asked. "You're getting married tomorrow," Byung ho's father said. Tomorrow, Byung ho thought. Oh no, all my friends are going to make fun of me, he thought.

He had seen many of his friends getting teased for marrying early. He knew he would be one of them, but at that time, children were expected to obey their parents. There was no use in arguing. However, he wondered what marriage was like. He had heard the term before, but what was it like to live as married? The thought of it scared him. Still he said, "Ok, dad, I will."

On that same day, as Byung ho was coming home, Byung ho's father rushed up to him in fear he might run away and said, "Byung ho, remember you're getting married tomorrow." The next day Byung ho went home he put on his hanbok, a traditional Korean outfit worn on formal occasions, that was laid on the bed.

SLOWLY, he went outside. Everyone, including many neighbors, was gathered and talking. After some time, Byung ho's neighbor made a public announcement in a loud voice. "Alright everyone, let's start the wedding." Suddenly it turned quiet. Byung ho entered the east side of the room. The bride, Young sook, entered the west side of the room with two ladies helping her with her hanbok and guided her toward a table stacked with dates and other Korean foods such as dduk, or korean rice cakes.

Sitting on the brown laquered table was also two water bowls on the sides of the foods. Byung ho faced his bride. What a charming girl, he thought. What a handsome man, Young sook thought. It was the second time they had seen each other. They hadn't seen each other formally at a party, but he had passed by her before. Young sook and Byung ho each had helpers that washed their hands. They were now both clean in mind and body. A man guided them through the vows, which consisted of bowing. He told them to bow. Young sook bowed to Byung ho twice, then Byung ho bowed once to Young sook. Then Young sook bowed twice more, and Byung ho bowed once more. They were committed to each other now.

They kneeled down and faced each other. A flurry of thoughts raced through Byung ho's mind. I can't believe I'm getting married to someone I barely know. I wonder what she's like. Young sook had the same thoughts. Byung ho and Young sook turned and looked around. Everyone was smiling. It was time to celebrate with good food and drink. Byung ho was now a married man.

THEIR marriage was ordinary. They were the typical hardworking couple of their time, and they lived with Byung ho's parents. Young sook was a dutiful housewife, tending the farm and cooking, which was nothing new since she had cooked since she was nine years old. While Young sook was busy, Byung ho attended school. He was so smart he jumped grades, and his total years of schooling was only five years. He was accepted into a prestigious university, but had no money to attend any college, so he kept studying until the war broke out. There was a lack of soldiers, so they drafted young men, and Byung ho was one of them. He mastered all the training in the army and was a dedicated soldier. Many soldiers died of gunshot wounds in the army, but he survived. When he came back, the condition of the economy was appalling. His family was struggling, and he wanted to make a better life for them. He had read the advertisements for coal mining, and, from the information, it was promising even though he knew the dangers and risks.

He could earn a steady income, much more than what he earned back in Korea. He told his wife, "Young sook, I just read the advertisements for coal mining. It's a very well-paying job and I would make five times more than what I earn now. The only thing is that I would have go to Germany. I really want this job though and I think it would be a very good opportunity." Young sook wasn't thrilled with the idea. "It's very hard to raise kids, especially five, alone. You know how hard it is to do it alone. Being apart from you for a long time isn't good for the family. It's best we stay together. Family comes before money." Byung ho, however, disagreed. He told Young sook, "It's only a small sacrifice and for just a short time. I will come back and you know I will always take care of you and the kids no matter where I am. I could make a better life for the family if I get the job. I'm going." Young sook sighed. "Ok, Byung ho, it's your decision ultimately. But think about what I said." Byung ho replied, "I know what you're talking about. But I have a plan for us. Don't worry, it'll all work out. I'm going."

Determined to carry out his decision, Byung ho went to Germany to sign up for the coal mining job. There were two rounds of testing: the written and the physical exam, as well as with an interview. Whoever applied was required to pass both in order to become a coal miner to go to overseas to Germany, and many people did not make it. The competition was fierce for becoming a coal miner in Germany, and only a few percent made it. Many people had compared it to winning a lottery.

Eager to get this job, Byung ho persevered and made it. The coal mining job in Germany was a very dangerous job for most. Byung ho saw many people die or lose a limb. However, Byung ho had a zest for learning, and wanted to learn more about the coal mining job. So he went to work in an assigned area that was far more dangerous than other areas. As he was on the elevator, he could hardly see anything. Slowly, he turned on his light. Down he plunged into the darkness. There was a screeching noise as the elevator came to a halt. It smelled of coal. The putrid air filled his nostrils. Reaching out, he touched a bumpy black rock. It was very hot in this area, and, as a result, many people suffered from ezcema and Byung ho was a sufferer. Still he worked in the area, and exposure to the hot temperature caused his foot to go bad. He had to be hospitalized for several months.

WHEN he came back, a letter from his wife was waiting for him. "Dear Byung ho," the letter started, "How are you? The kids are doing well, but it's been difficult here. I've been spending most of my time cooking and doing the housework. Raising children isn't easy without you. I wish you could be here. Most of time, kids are pretty good, but they aren't perfect. My oldest daughter is begging me to let her go to college, but we don't have the money right now. When will you come back home?" The words tugged at his heart. He tried hard not to think about it.

It was May 1960, and he was only 28 years old. Young sook missed him, but Byung ho had a different plan for a better life. He knew how harsh life was in Korea. Every day he had to walk an hour to and from his house while he was attending school. He had to do many hours of farm work and studied until midnight because of the work. Even as he got married, he worked on the farm from dawn to dinner and had only a few hours to study. Even with farming, there was barely enough food to eat, and there was no other source of income.

Back at home, he had a family of six eagerly waiting for him. It may have sounded easy, but it was far from true. He needed time to think things over. If he was to return back home, he would go back to square one and start all over again. It meant struggling to put food on the table and taking on a low paying job because he had only a high school education. Making ends meet would be a constant worry due to the lack of money. Back where he lived, people filled their bellies with water and plants because they couldn't afford the price of food.

The net income of the entire population of Korea was equivalent to a mere 2,000 in American dollars today. During this time, there was a high demand in coal mining jobs in Germany due to the lack of workers. Many Koreans saw this opportunity as a way to escape their life of poverty, including Byung ho. It was not for everybody because of the vigorous physical training and testing, but Byung ho passed the coal miner's tests with superior marks. He had finished the last round of testing and was finally given the job of a coal miner.

The job came with many dangers and required much physical strength. The mines were designed for German workers, so much of the work was physically challenging to the smaller Korean workers. They were required to lift 60 kg of weight occasionally, including Byung ho. In addition, they were exposed to coal fumes which filled their lungs. Byung ho saw many people suffer from asthma and bronchitis as a result and worried the same would happen to him.

Every day they risked their lives as there was high chance of rocks dropping down and injuring them or potentially killing them while they were on the job. Byung ho knew of many people who died, and it saddened him. They also worked very long hours and had to keep shoveling rocks to keep up with the machines.

However, although the risks were great, the pay was attractive. He was making five times more than the average citizen's income in Korea. He was faring well, so why would he want to go back to a harsh life in Korea? It just didn't make sense to him. Family, of course, was very important, but he thought what difference would it make if he could barely take care of himself and his family? They would still be in the bleak situation they were in. Wouldn't it be better if he just sent money from Germany? It still meant he cared for them, even though he was not physically with them. Still, the words lingered in his mind. No, he thought, he needed more money. Then when things were better, he would reunite with his family. Yes, he thought, that's what he would do.

So he wrote back. "Dear Young sook," he wrote, "It's good to hear from you. I know that things are tough there. Don't worry about the money, I will send you her college tuition, and I will send you money for support. It is very hard to work here under these conditions, but this is our ticket out of poverty. I was in the hospital for a foot problem, but now it's healing. One day, when things get better, we will be together as a family. I'm sorry, but I cannot come back right now. You understand, right?"

Young sook was a very understanding wife and wrote back. "Dear Byung ho," Sally wrote, "Yes, I understand. And when things get better, come back. Love, Young sook."

THE years without him were very hard. "Dear Byung ho," Sally wrote, "it is very hard here. I know I told you I understand, but it's been a long time. You know we can't be like this permanently. It's very hard for me to take care of everything by myself. I have to take care of my in-laws as well as look after my children. You know how hard it is to do both." Byung ho replied in his letter, "I know. Just do it for a while longer. We will be together soon, like I said. Love, Byung ho." She wished he would come back, but she wanted to support him too. She wrote back, "I'll hang in there, Byung ho. But remember, come back." She didn't say it at the time, but she missed the companionship she shared with Byung ho.

Every day she looked at his picture in the living room hoping he would come back. Many people noticed his picture and commented on his good looks, comparing him to the president during that time. She thought he would come back soon, but it turned out she was going to have to wait longer according to the letter. Disappointment set in. This is going to be another long wait, she thought to herself.

AFTER four years, he grew tired of his coal mining job because it was dangerous and hard. He had heard that the U.S. was a very good place to live and raise children. So he came to visit the U.S. and decided he wanted to settle down. However, money was a big problem. He had to figure how to survive, but he hardly knew English. He decided he would take any available job. He worked a variety of odd jobs to stay in the U.S. and had his own apartment with his savings he earned as a coal miner.

IT was 1975. "Come to America," he wrote in his letter to Young sook. He had attached the plane tickets to the letter. Young sook was excited to be able to meet with Byung ho. A few days later, they packed a few clothes and boarded the plane. It was a dream come true.

THEY arrived in America on June 25, 1975. Dressed in their best clothes, they were finally excited and curious to meet with their father after years without him. Some of his children didn't even remember what their dad looked like. How he had changed, the other children thought. He was older and more mature. How everyone has changed, Byung ho thought. They are different from the last time I saw them, but how grown up they are now. He hugged his children and they hugged him back. There was so much to talk about.

HE remembered getting treated by an acupuncturist in Korea for back pain. As a result, he got better. From that point forward, he was fascinated by it. So he went to night school to learn all about acupuncture. His curiosity grew, and he bought various books and studied them. He prepared for his acupuncture licensing exam. When test day came, he was ready.

"404," they called. He went up and took his exam. He hesitated at the questions, but calmed himself down and remembered. After double checking his answers on the exam, he handed it in. He was finished and relieved to be.

THE mail came in. He passed! He was overjoyed. It had been a month's worth of studying, and it all paid off in the end. Now it was time to open his own clinic. After months of searching, he found a place in California. It was a small clinic, but had all the necessary space and rooms.

He moved his things into the office. It is mine, he thought. For a moment, he grew teary eyed. All the memories came back. He thought about the time he was hospitalized for a bad foot, the dangers he encountered working at the coal mine, the marriage that seemed too soon, the day he finally met his children and came to America, the anxiety he faced on test day, and the struggle of surviving in America. All of these things taught him something, that nothing is ever wasted, that no challenge is insurmountable, and that struggle is a part of life. He had proved to himself that through hard work and determination, anything could be achieved. Every challenge he encountered were like steps to his final destination and he had reached it. Joy entered his heart. Savoring the moment, he closed his eyes and visualized his family gathered and smiling around him. He opened his eyes. Yes, this is the start of a new beginning, he thought.

 

© 2013 Christina Yan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on August 12, 2013
Last Updated on August 12, 2013

Author

Christina Yan
Christina Yan

About
My name is Christina Yan. I am 25 years old. I am passionate about writing in general. I love to write stories and poems. Check out my poems and stories. I would appreciate any feedback. more..

Writing
Hope Hope

A Poem by Christina Yan