Death, Black, and Blue

Death, Black, and Blue

A Poem by Christina May Shanaberg
"

How many more young men and women have to die?

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Whom will be the next victim of your war;

My son or, maybe, your sweet daughter

Will return home tagged, as to who

Needs to be draped with Death, Black, and Blue.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Make sure the flag is folded, quite properly,

Before you hand it to the grieving family;

You want to shove it in their tearful faces;

You're the power; taking kids, without any traces.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My baby died in your ridiculous foreign war,

Never knowing he was a hero and so much more;

And, Mr. President, is it all that you can do

To cover my child with Death, Black, and Blue.

 

Mr. President, whom do you think you are,

Offering our sons and daughters your war,

When we hoped for them to have so much more.

 

Take away your flag of Death, Black, and Blue;

Give us back our glory of Red, White, and Blue.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How many more dead children need to be carried by you, before you realize that yours might be the next?!

© 2011 Christina May Shanaberg


Author's Note

Christina May Shanaberg
If this is freedom, we might as well all be dead!!

My youngest son, Dennis Shanaberg (active, on this site,) is not dead and not involved in the war, presently. My oldest son, Terry Thomas Shanaberg, died as an infant.

I was writing for those whom have lost their children!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I went to many funeral of friends. Poor Soldiers have been paying for sins of bad leaders for many years. No worst feeling to hear "tap" played for a fallen Soldiers. A powerful poem. I agree our Soldiers are for defense. Not policing a religion war which few can understand. Time to bring our boys and girls home. We can't police the world. Thank you for the powerful and sad poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love and revere those inspired principles upon which the United States of America was founded; what "Old Glory" originally represented. But the gigantic, self-serving, increasingly unresponsive--and, therefore, tyrannical--government we are now afflicted with, is a universe away from that philosophy which fosters freedom.
I am deeply and sincerely sorry for the loss of your child, Christina. Children are our greatest earthly treasure. Something is terribly wrong when we outlive them.
God willing, some day soon, we will cast off our brutal oppressors--known and presently unknown--and return to living in freedom, peace and sanity.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

yes way too many

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very very powerful write which the vast majority of people would fully support.It makes me mad that young men and women are being sent out to fight an unwinnable war.Brilliant pics as well Christina

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I went to many funeral of friends. Poor Soldiers have been paying for sins of bad leaders for many years. No worst feeling to hear "tap" played for a fallen Soldiers. A powerful poem. I agree our Soldiers are for defense. Not policing a religion war which few can understand. Time to bring our boys and girls home. We can't police the world. Thank you for the powerful and sad poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

509 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 2, 2011
Last Updated on September 3, 2011
Tags: Motherly Love, War, Death, Destruction, Love, Mother, Son, Daughter

Author

Christina May Shanaberg
Christina May Shanaberg

Mount Vernon, OH



About
I am a former member of North Shore Writers' Guild in Willoughby OH. I have had numerous poems published and letters. I am, currently, working on a screen play that I hope will interest my cousin-in.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dark Secrets Dark Secrets

A Poem by Legacy